Game of Thrones

I figured Ronin (forgot his GoT name :lol ) would do exactly what he did. He would have to kill anyone who challenged him in a group like that. Now we just need to kill that little weasel of a prince.

Episodes 6 and 7 last night were amazing. That sex scene with Little Finger talking was just.. bizarre. Didn't know if I should listen or stare, or some mixture of both! Was a very telling monologue he had there though.

Even though i knew what was coming, it still makes me soooo angry to see it.
This show makes me want to pick up a sword and go fight for the Stark's. I'm so sick of having everything spoiled for me I finally got the books and I'm working my way through GoT right now.

Those who have read the books.. how long till we get some dragons? Seems like it wont be long!

i'm pretty sure there are at least two more episodes.. maybe 3. Remember, next week is the actual airing of ep 7. We just got it earlier on HBO go. The book also continues another like 200 pages past the point 7 ends on. Sooo.. yeah, i'm saying they can milk at least 2 or 3 more.. which puts us into june for the end.

You're right. According to Wikipedia, there'll be 10 episodes this season. I misjudged how close the end was, and I'm happy to be wrong about that. :)

Edit: I just caught episode 7. Good stuff. I have serious respect for Aiden Gillen (Littlefinger) for being able to remember his lines in his first scene, with the sort of distraction he had to deal with... :)

Last edited:
That last scene was the only thing that bugged me. It and the movie Constantine has people throwing gold into a cast iron pot and melting it. Yes, you can do this BUT gold has a melting point of around 1025 degress F. IF it's pure 24ct gold. Higher if it's an alloy. Now no Campfire, or electric Burner is going to get that cast Iron pot up to that temperature. I know it's for the sake of moving the story, but it just bugs me none the less.

So, as I've mentioned, I've only read the first book...

...As a result, I've held off reading any others.

If you enjoyed reading the first book, then I recommend that you read the second and third books as well. The first three books form a neat arc that comes to a satisfying close. While the fourth book picks up right where the third one left off, the focus shifts partly to a host of characters who had previously been little more than names mentioned in passing, and begins a new arc in the greater saga. In other words, if you read the first three books as a trilogy, you should be satisfied to wait for the remaining volumes. But if you read book 4, you'll be left hanging and anxious for the next volume to arrive. Of course, that next volume is coming out soon, but there's no guarantee that it won't also leave you hanging.

I haven't read any of the books myself, in fact I only heard about them and the series when I went to a panel George R.R. Martin was on at Worldcon last year.

I've watched the first 6 episodes so far (no. 7 is sitting waiting for me) and am really enjoying it so far. The politics is making my head spin but in a good way. As a student of the history of the Wars of the Roses this is looking promising.

The only down point so far is none of the characters are really likeable. The Lanisters are all corrupt bastards (though Tyrion I like), Stark is a stuck up prat, Littlefinger makes the Three Musketeers' Richelieu look like an amateur schemer, and Viserys doesn't so much have a chip on his shoulder, as a whole forest!

That said, the characters are more than 2D fantasy cut-outs. Quality acting and a great story. I'm really enjoying this.

I'm finding the show to be quite...slow. I like some of the characters, the production design and such. BUT, there was a quote the other day.." It's Lord of the Rings with Sex!"...and i found this a bit insulting. Not because i'm a LOTR fan, but after 5 episodes of Thrones, i've yet to see one wizard/elf/orc/magical event (apart form the wierdies at the start of ep1)......

Does this show pick up the pace at all? It's starting to remind me of Dune:Medieval Edition.....

Rich

The Dune reference is not that far off at all. There will be a fantasy element, but it will build up slowly. The white walkers are one piece of it. All the talk about dragons will eventually pay off. And there are other... things... that will happen.

Just keep watching.

Yeah, the Dune thing is a lot more apt. People just compare it to LOTR because Sean Bean is in it (and he ROCKS into Mordor), and because it's got armor and swords and stuff. The fantasy elements, at least in the first book/season are pretty toned down. It's really only "fantasy" in the sense that it's sort of some vague high middle ages in another world, rather than because orcs and elves and ogres and such are running about.

The title "Game of Thrones" should tell you something. This TV show is inherently political in it's machinations. A better analogy than "LOTR with Sex" would be "The West Wing with swords and sorcery"

Excellent analogy. It's very much about political machinations in the bulk of the first book, although the action does start to pick up towards the end.

My suspicion:
The last scene of the last episode of the season (should be next week) should be *very* interesting.

I heard they're doing a single book each season, so there's still a fair bit to cover, I'd figure. If I'm remembering the 1st book correctly, that is.

If you enjoyed reading the first book, then I recommend that you read the second and third books as well. The first three books form a neat arc that comes to a satisfying close. While the fourth book picks up right where the third one left off, the focus shifts partly to a host of characters who had previously been little more than names mentioned in passing, and begins a new arc in the greater saga. In other words, if you read the first three books as a trilogy, you should be satisfied to wait for the remaining volumes. But if you read book 4, you'll be left hanging and anxious for the next volume to arrive. Of course, that next volume is coming out soon, but there's no guarantee that it won't also leave you hanging.

Thanks for the tip! I may do that when I go on vacation this year (which was when I read the first book last year). Can YOU tell me if they're splicing in scenes that are chronologically accurate to the timeline of the first book, but which appear in subsequent books? That seen with Theon Greyjoy in Episode 5 with the prostitute and the one between the Knight of Flowers and the other guy shaving were definitely NOT in the first book, but I'm thinking they can't have been created just for the show.

I haven't read any of the books myself, in fact I only heard about them and the series when I went to a panel George R.R. Martin was on at Worldcon last year.

I've watched the first 6 episodes so far (no. 7 is sitting waiting for me) and am really enjoying it so far. The politics is making my head spin but in a good way. As a student of the history of the Wars of the Roses this is looking promising.

The only down point so far is none of the characters are really likeable. The Lanisters are all corrupt bastards (though Tyrion I like), Stark is a stuck up prat, Littlefinger makes the Three Musketeers' Richelieu look like an amateur schemer, and Viserys doesn't so much have a chip on his shoulder, as a whole forest!

That said, the characters are more than 2D fantasy cut-outs. Quality acting and a great story. I'm really enjoying this.

It's not (as I recall) a strict 1 for 1 parallel to the Wars of the Roses. I don't recall there being a perfect stand-in for the Battle of St. Albans for example. I can't tell so far if there's anyone who occupies the role of Warwick, either, although maybe Littlefinger is similar. Also, at least in terms of the lineage of children, there's no analogous figure to Henry V. You basically have Henry IV knocking off Richard II, but then himself marrying Margaret of Anjou who herself gives birth to Henry VI while hooking up with one of her brothers? Something like that, anyway. So, it's not a perfect parallel. But there's definitely much of the sentiment of how the history of the Wars of the Roses is related to modern audiences, what with all the maneuvering, shifting alliances, the occasional battle (I've heard there really weren't that many major set-piece battles during the Wars of the Roses), etc.

Either way, it's a cracking good story if you dig political machinations (and I do). :)

The title "Game of Thrones" should tell you something. This TV show is inherently political in it's machinations. A better analogy than "LOTR with Sex" would be "The West Wing with swords and sorcery"
I read a comment that called it The Sopranos meets Tolkien. Thought that was very cute.

It's not (as I recall) a strict 1 for 1 parallel to the Wars of the Roses. I don't recall there being a perfect stand-in for the Battle of St. Albans for example. I can't tell so far if there's anyone who occupies the role of Warwick, either, although maybe Littlefinger is similar. Also, at least in terms of the lineage of children, there's no analogous figure to Henry V. You basically have Henry IV knocking off Richard II, but then himself marrying Margaret of Anjou who herself gives birth to Henry VI while hooking up with one of her brothers? Something like that, anyway. So, it's not a perfect parallel. But there's definitely much of the sentiment of how the history of the Wars of the Roses is related to modern audiences, what with all the maneuvering, shifting alliances, the occasional battle (I've heard there really weren't that many major set-piece battles during the Wars of the Roses), etc.

Either way, it's a cracking good story if you dig political machinations (and I do). :)
I would be very surprised if it WAS a 1for1 retelling of the Wars of the Roses but as far as real world parallels go that's what it reminds me of. More later stuff. The Lannisters as the Woodvilles, Robert as Edward IV, Ned as Richard of Gloucester (and no I'm not talking that rubbish Shakespeare wrote). Little Finger could be Buckingham. But no it's not a direct retelling.

But it's a welcome relief from the usual "quest" fantasy stuff involving a farmboy discovering he's the lost heir to the throne that's occupied by a dark lord or an evil uncle (or both) and the plucky merchant's daughter is his long lost sister.

Or something :rolleyes

Yeah, see, I see Cersei as a mix of Margaret of Anjou and Elizabeth Woodeville. The "Lannister" name is definitely a thinly-veiled reference to "Lancaster." I see Robert Baratheon as Edward IV pretty clearly (taking over from the mad previous king). Ned I don't really see as Richard, but you'll see why eventually. I'm not as well-versed with the historical period, so I can't really say which specific person he represents. Littlefinger could be Buckingham, though, yes, although I also see elements of Warwick in him in terms of shifting loyalties and such. Same goes for Buckingham, I suppose.

Anyway, it's fun to think about. Martin's said that the Wars of the Roses served as a source of inspiration, but that it's not -- and never was intended to be -- a perfect match. Which is kinda nice, actually, since you could always just pick up a history book on the Wars of the Roses and read THAT if you wanted the story. ;)

I too like the lack of a clear "chosen one." Which is not to say I don't enjoy those kinds of stories as well, just that they get a bit samey after a while, what with Harry Skywalker and Obi-Wan Dumbeldore and such. :)

Great series and casting Seans done us Yorkshire lads proud again. I can see this lasting for years all those books:thumbsup. are their Goblins and trolls? not read the books

Last night's episode was the only one as far as nudity/sex that I started going "Whoa, maybe this is a little much". I turned to my girlfriend and said "You saw that it's on HBO, so it's okay". :lol

I never read the books, so I was blown away by the ending last night. I hope Stark figures a way out of that! Speaking of Sean Bean, I don't think I've ever seen a bad movie that he's done. I really like him. It's cool to see him playing a good guy for once though!

Well, Littlefinger did advise Stark not to trust him...

haha, not just HIM, but ANYONE! :)

Oh, and to whoever asked if they are splicing in stuff from other seasons/books (like the theon prostitute thing, or the renly/flowers love stuff) from what I can tell so far (i'm into the second book) YES. But only hints.

The book was a bit vague on certain things/themes. Whatever Martin chose to focus on, he did, and other things just get moved along sometimes with a little less detail.

From everyone I know who read the books, it was not a shocker that Renly and the knight of flowers were a little.. close.. :) There are no scenes of them shaving together, that I recall, however, it is strongly hinted several times that they are together. From the verbage, to the way they both flee together and such.
small spoiler:

I believe Renly even has his own "rainbow kingsguard" thing going, which sounds a lot fruitier than it is! haha. /end of tiny spoiler

But yeah, I think they are just trying to flush out the characters a bit more. Nothing that is out of character, but just filling in stuff that makes it all flow better when certain events happen.

And while I know a lot of people didn't like that sex scene, I thought it was pretty funny, and the metaphors that Littlefinger was using for ****ing were so hilariously true to his character that it just had me glued to the screen, and not for the nudity! I was seriously just loving every second of exposition that guy had!

Just got caught up on Eps. 6 and 7.

Husker, thanks for the clarification. It's nice to know my memory isn't going quite yet. But it sounds like there are some scenes that are written specifically for the show, or adapted from narration/internal monologue into film. I actually think it helps explain the show a bit better in ways that are more tolerable than constant flashbacks down the road would be.

So, as for the scene with the molten gold, I'd always expected it to be a lot more gruesome. I thought it was fairly tame, actually. But I suppose in my head, I pictured molten lead or steel, which would've been a lot hotter...

I thought the scene with Littlefinger in the brothel was actually not that bad. I'm sure it's WAY more explicit in the book. The sex in the books is fairly explicit.

With only three episodes left, though, I'm curious to see how they'll be able to wrap up the entire first book, or whether they'll let it spill over into the 2nd season. Good show, though. I'm glad it was renewed.

Just got caught up on Eps. 6 and 7.

So, as for the scene with the molten gold, I'd always expected it to be a lot more gruesome. I thought it was fairly tame, actually. But I suppose in my head, I pictured molten lead or steel, which would've been a lot hotter...

Molten Lead = 621 Degrees F

Molten Aluminum = 1220 Degrees F

Molten Gold = 1947 Degrees (if pure 24ct) F

Molten Steel = 2800+ F depending on the alloy

That's why melting it in a cookpot in a tent...Nope, and his head would have popped like an egg in a microwave etc. But for fun we'll suspend Physics, and enjoy that the little ***** got what he deserved.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back