"Atlas Shrugged" out on Friday!

Status
Not open for further replies.
But back to the subject at hand...

Actually, what struck me as chintzy in the trailer was not so much the cheap production values (although the cinematography was pretty bad) was how 1 dimensional and cartoonish the characters came off as. And for that to be noticable in a trailer is not a good sign. I mean, even Michael Bay can make his characters look interesting in the trailers.

Even though I disagree vehemently with Rand's philosophy, the one thing you can't call her is a bad writer. Dagne Taggert (sp) is a damn interesting character and the blonde we saw in the trailer just seemed like a monotone charaicature of her. And the politician/villain in the clip was even worse. All the nuance and subtelty just seemed stripped away, leaving only a cardboard cutout spewing cartoon cliched lines.

And that's why I said it looked like a fanfic. They've taken the most superficial aspects of each character from the book and made it the ENTIRE character. No depth, no intrigue, just talking cardboard puppets.

I loved the book, but have to say that I agree with this. I plan on seeing the movie, but don't hold out a lot of hope that it will even hold a candle to the book.

The book is one of my two all time favorites, and is probably the most influential book on my life. A repeat read book for me, likely on my fourth copy at this point.
Bought tickets early and going to see it on Friday! Looking forward to the next two films as well.:thumbsup

There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.
—John Rogers

Wow.. such hatred. Didn't you ban yourself a while back? Usually your first instinct is correct.

See, this topic´s already messin with a member, not a good sign :lol

Word! There's a TON I want to say, but every time I think I've found a way of putting it non-politically, I find a way someone could construe it politically. :lol

Atlas Shrugged would have been better served as a kind of period piece I think. Trains just don't have the same "life-blood" meaning in today's society like they did when the book was written.

The book, like any other political philosophy, should be taken with a pinch of salt. It makes the same mistake that the others make in presuming human nature is one way and what works for one person or society would work for another. Mankind is chaotic in nature so no single philosophy is in fact "right".

Interesting ideas, some practical and some not. I say the same about the Communist Manifesto.

Star Wars is just as political as Atlas Shrugged........but SW has lightsabers, Droids, Stormtroopers and Vader :D

I didn't realize until recently that her books inspired the making of the first Bioshock game as the guy who builds Rapture under the ocean sounds like one of her book characters when he talks about why he took all the rich and brilliant to the ocean floor.

I didn't realize until recently that her books inspired the making of the first Bioshock game as the guy who builds Rapture under the ocean sounds like one of her book characters when he talks about why he took all the rich and brilliant to the ocean floor.

Isn't that also the plot of The Spy Who Loved Me and Moonraker (a.k.a. The Spy Who Loved Me In SPAAAAAAAAAACE)?

True but the speeches the founder gives is almost word for word for the type of stuff she wrote about and since it's set in the 1950s I always assumed that they wrote it as if he knew her.

Huh. Interesting. I've still yet to play that game, but I'm looking forward to it. Got it and the second one for a steal during a Steam sale.

Andrew Ryan. Hmmm. Aaan(drew) R(y)an(d)....what tipped you off? :lol:lol

Star Wars is just as political as Atlas Shrugged........but SW has lightsabers, Droids, Stormtroopers and Vader :D

Firefly too - and they're both right. ;)

I haven't been to the movies in a long time and I'm looking to go on opening weekend.

Firefly too - and they're both right. ;)

I haven't been to the movies in a long time and I'm looking to go on opening weekend.

I agree with Firefly's flagrant libertarianism, but read Ayn Rand and watch Firefly...one has a bigness of heart, a generosity of spirit, a humaneness to its philosophy. And it ain't Rand. See, books are more than just their themes/messages/ideas. Ayn Rand's whole tone leaves me cold.

I read about 3 chapters of The Fountainhead and found nothing in the main characters I admired enough to make me continue, so I'm not going to defend her style or characters, her morals or even her motivations for what she believed.

But I still want to see it because from what I've been able to glean from interviews of her and excerpts, she sure was right about a heck of a lot when it came to the basics of economics and work ethic motivational factors.

What sticks out to me when it comes to philosophies of how things should be run isn't what creates a utopia of benevolence when those in charge are behaving at their best, but what prevents the enslavement of people when those in charge are acting at their worst.

I'm trying really really hard NOT to get involved in the political-philosophy discussion here...

Bra-VO !!! :lol:lol:lol

But don´t ´splode, pleeez? ;)

Looks like this thread evolves into some kind of sociological experiment :p

Love the observation that Wes has made :thumbsup

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back