My Han in Carbonite panel upgrades 23 Nov 2013

kurtyboy

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Just wanted to show some of the work I've done on my Carbonite panels so far. I have six original Volvo dashboard panels on hand plus another two on the way.

I started with Darth Chromer's excellent parts kit and upgraded some of parts with machined versions or original found parts. I also sent some of my parts back to him to chrome for me so they don't look like resin.

Six original Volvo panels with machined rings and various sizes of colored round stickers, etc:
carb3.jpg
carb4.jpg

Original turntable knobs on the hero panel. Working electronics activated by one of the knobs:
carb5.jpg
carb6.jpg

Circuit boards (non working) for the hero panel using vintage components. I can't wait to add Darth Chromer's 7 segment electronics to them:
carb7.jpg
carb9.jpg

Comparison of components with original prop:
carb10.jpg

Prototype U clips (made from paper) which will eventually be upgraded with the machined ones I'm working on (If you want a set PM me):
carb8.jpg

The box on the '2nd hero' panel. I am convinced this is part of the viewer from a vintage medium format/TLR camera but I haven't been able to identify it yet if anyone wants to join the search. Between me and Darth Chromer we have identified the components inside. They are (1/2 watt?) vintage resistors and rectangular yellow LEDs.
carb11.jpg

These are of course the same type of LED on the Fifth Element Multipass. I knew I had seen them somewhere before!

You can also see there's a clear screen with a dot pattern on it. I added the pattern with clear self adhesive inkjet paper:
carb12.jpg

Comparison with screen used:
carb13.jpg

I've added the viewer to the box which must also be from the same vintage camera still to be identified. I hoped it would be the Yashica D camera used on the ROTJ Vader Reveal, but sadly it doesn't match. Does anyone know what the 2nd camera was that they used?

This viewer is not accurate at all, just one I had to hand (from a Seagull camera):
carb14.jpg

Although the viewer is now missing when the prop is displayed at exhibitions, you can see it was still present during ROTJ. We only get to see one row of the rectangular LEDs but clearly only two are lit up. They remain lit and don't seem to flash in any sequence during the scene:
carb15.jpg

So I lit those two up plus the two reverse ones on the opposite side. I suppose it would be neat to have them flashing alternatively but that's beyond me!
carb16.jpg
carb17.jpg

And of course, I can't forget the fantastic Carbonite block that Vos has made for me. I'm still trying to arrange pickup/delivery:
carb1.jpg
carb2.jpg

And this guy is going to guard the Carbonite block once it's complete:
nufett3.jpg

More in him here if you're interested.

Last edited:
Re: WIP: Han in Carbonite (panels)

Cheers guys.

I did some more work on the '2nd hero' panel and after switching some panels around I re-started my hero panel.

protoclip1.jpg
protoclip2.jpg

protoclip3.jpg
panels17.jpg

panels18.jpg
panels19.jpg

Bump. I'm getting a few questions about what I've used but nobody seems to be actually reading the thread.

It's all up there. ^^^

The second hero panel is looking brilliant.
The clips look great too by the way....looking forward to getting a set. I don't actually own a Han Carb myself yet :lol...I'm gotta cast one up in a few weeks. I need to grab a new set of panels from Glen too. :)

Thanks Neil.

I'm just attaching a few panels to the block now. I haven't been so excited about building a prop since Xenomorph discovered the Jackal part on the Rebel Endor rifle.

The second hero panel is looking brilliant.
The clips look great too by the way....looking forward to getting a set. I don't actually own a Han Carb myself yet :lol...I'm gotta cast one up in a few weeks. I need to grab a new set of panels from Glen too. :)

Cool. I'm really looking forward to seeing one of my castings finished with the panels.

Mr Webber...I sell the grills. I've PMed you.

Hero panel almost done with exception of the 7 segment displays (hurry up Glenn!).

panels20.jpg
panels21.jpg

panels22.jpg
panels23.jpg

panels24.jpg
panels25.jpg

My carbonite block from Vos arrived last night. It's so sexy I want to do unspeakable things to it. :love

I picked up all the correct types of screws for attaching it today, that's for the tabs on the back of the panels. But what else is holding the panels down? When you screw the tabs down, the other side pops up. A few of the panels have small screws on the other side, but not all.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back