Tron Legacy Lightcycle Baton

That's a very old promotional picture.
To see the real thing, check out your local Target store.
It's a terrible toy. Oversized, under detailed.
Doesn't even function as intended.

I found these:

Tron_Legacy_movie_vehicle_key_prop.jpg

5265243079_196f374294_z.jpg

5265849798_a80cb867c6_z.jpg

Two of these pictures are from this forum.

Screen caps
TronLegacy1209.jpg

TronLegacy1211.jpg

Last edited:
I am going to be modeling these as well, and I was planing on assuming the grips (dark part - not the light colored ends) to about 4.5" long. I would then scale from there.

Here are some caps from the armchair archivists show on Legacy props. You should be able to scale it fairly accurately from the pager.

tron-tron-legacy-props-disney-archives-spoiler-free-picture-20.png-40893d1292618597

tron-tron-legacy-props-disney-archives-spoiler-free-picture-18.png-40894d1292618597

tron-tron-legacy-props-disney-archives-spoiler-free-picture-25.png-40895d1292618597

tron-tron-legacy-props-disney-archives-spoiler-free-picture-26.png-40896d1292618984

tron-tron-legacy-props-disney-archives-spoiler-free-picture-5.png-40902d1292618984

Nick

I noticed that it is also used as a katana. Basing it off of a sword handle, I'd say it's about 12 or even 14 inches long. The baton is also placed on the side of the leg when not in use. I've started to make a prototype using a tube from reynolds wrap foil. The tube hole is about 1 1/4", making it more to the baton to 1 1/2" (guessing). I"ll post a pic of the tube & couple ideas on paper soon. If things go ok, I thought about using sheet styrene around the tube as I start to build it up. Just to see what it might look like. I can use a hair dyer to mold the styrene to curve around the tube. Just a few ideas but nothing solid yet. All on paper then try to make a prototype.

I've done Alan's pager, and after that pics and an inch ruler, it's no wider than 1 inch. The end caps are 0,2 inches or 0,8 cm. The dark grey handles are about 4 inches long (the photo is slightly disorted. The middle button selector is about 2 inches wide, the selector capsule is about 1,5 inch wide and 0,3 inches high. That makes an estimated length of 10,4 or 10,5 inches, the height of the wides point of the oval shape seems to be 0,7 inches, if I interpret the photo right (the back side).

A rapid prototype version would be cool

Anyone gonna try to make a replica of this baton from Lin's measurements?

The measurements seem pretty good. The first time I saw this baton, it reminded me of the bar that is at the end of venetian blinds! :lol Just a bit bigger though

definately a model! we will see about an actual one after I get pricing. If I do do this, the plan would be to do the set with case.

Im putting together a budget scratch build one that will light up for costuming. I'll post pics when I get it finished this Saturday.

Last edited:
I figured I would post some teaser pics

the pieces
imageutd.jpg

test lit
imagerac.jpg

The flashlight used was found at Lowe's for around $10. Made by a company called flarealert: flarealertlighting.com/plastic-handheld-825
I think someone at the company really liked the Baton in T:L and decided to make a flashlight along the same design. The only thing is it just lights one end due to the fact the other end is the battery compartment. The button to control the lights is on the back of the baton. The other cool thing is that it has a built in magnet so it sticks just like the cycle baton does. haha
I'm sure there is a way to rig up components of two flashlights to light both ends but this is just a "toss together" kind of build.

Materials used were scrap illustration board, glue, hot glue. (no cost)

purchased the paint today around $5 a can, dang Testors! (Primer, Black Metallic, Gray Metallic and Clear coat)

Some final pics

These were before I painted the grip sections flat black

Front
imagegwd.jpg

Back
imagecimu.jpg

Backlit display panel
imagefjlp.jpg

Gratuitous prop shot
imagersh.jpg

After painting the grips

I found my unused MR Darth Maul LE display stand and thought I would put it to some use
imagenpwj.jpg

imageitw.jpg

The whole thing was a fun and I learned some things that I might do differently if I decide to make another sleeve.

End Of Line

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back