" No tricks, Kirk! You have one minute! "

Hand Solo

Sr Member
KBOP4sm.jpg

KBOP1sm.jpg

KBOP2sm.jpg

KBOP3sm.jpg

Another one of mine that I dug out of storage to share with you all today.

Again...an ERTL made good with spit, love, pastels and cheap craft paint.

Special things done were the use of gels in the clear engine housing rather than paint. Also of note is the leading edge of the baffles at the wing roots. Decals? Nope. They didn't exist then. I simply painted the baffles Humbrol brushable and buffable metallic gunmetal. Buffed it out, then scribed the lines in down to the plastic...then painted on the rust stains and added pastel weathering effects.

I also added little greeblies from the parts box to fix the lack of detail under the 'shoulders'. I used Micro Krystal Kleer to simulate the running lights' and beacons' lens housings.

The photon torpedo launcher got a disc made out of sheet styrene and detailed with a fine art marker to simulate the spinning disc effect seen in the films.

Battle damage was done with a hot soldering iron, silver and black paint, airbrushing and pastels.

I added an emergency egress hatch to the bridge and made ladder steps with tiny pieces of cut guitar wire. Unfortunately my camera won't show those little details.

I built this alongside and at the same time as Kurt Kuhn's BOP. He did his using many of the same techniques that were used on this one, only his was done with the wings up in 'cruise mode'. We achieved that position by cutting the baffles back. Kurt had started by very carefully attempting to cut the baffles down with a box knife. After he almost wrecked his hands doing that, he asked if there was a better way to go about it, so we dremeled and razor-sawed the baffles and sanded the cuts flush. The technique worked like a charm.

He's promised to post pics of that when he digs it out of storage.

I still haven't finnished mine. I literally bought it the day it hit the shelves. Between the lights and hinge mechanism I never finnished it. What's it been? 12 years now?

Man I'm sllloooooooooowwwwwwww.

^ The only thing about that hinge mechanism....or the lack there of, is that unless you do something like what you were planning, you're stuck not being able to pose it in any variable position you like.

However, if you cut the baffles, as we did, at least you then have the option of having it displayable in 'Cruise Mode'.

Very nice build :thumbsup I've never really been a Trek fan, but I love the BoP. The design is great, but I think what I like most is the WWII submarine "feel" I get from the on-screen presentation.

I picked up the re-release of this kit a few months ago. I'll get around to it one of these days.

The BOP always struck me as more Star Warsis than Trekish. I finally figured out why, Nilo Rodis Jamero designed it. He designed the Slave One in 1980. I love how he makes forms out of slices of eggs.

I bet Bill George has a hand in the design too since he built it. I really want to meet him. I've met a couple of people who worked with him. So close...

^ You know...

You JUST put your finger on why I love that bird as well. I couldn't put it into words. But you did.

It's very 'boilerplate'...detail-rich...

<div class='quotetop'>(cobywan @ Aug 9 2006, 05:44 PM) [snapback]1297391[/snapback]</div>
John Laroquette of Night Court. Dan Fielding was my hero in highschool.

Name the character.
[/b]
Wasn't it Maltz? My Trek memory is not what it used to be..lol

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back