Bioshock 2 Subject Delta Costume Complete New Pics 2/25/12!

Re: Bioshock 2 Subject Delta Costume WIP with Pics!

DSCN6700.jpg

Really nice work. Did you use Smooth-On for the mold and cast or did you use something else? I'm in the process of molding a sculpt but very new to the process and a little overwhelmed with the many products offered by Smooth-On. Any suggestions of what you used would be appreciated.

Really nice work. Did you use Smooth-On for the mold and cast or did you use something else? I'm in the process of molding a sculpt but very new to the process and a little overwhelmed with the many products offered by Smooth-On. Any suggestions of what you used would be appreciated.

The rubber is Smooth On Rebound 25. The mother mold and casting are Bondo Resin you can find at Home Depot.

nice. ive got a question for you if you dont mind answering it. is your helmet a little bit banged up looking and uneven on some spots? because i also have the pepakura model which im working on right now, and it has some spots that are a little banged up looking. just wondering if thats normal because i figured with delta he would look a little damaged anyway but still just making sure.
thanks.

nice. ive got a question for you if you dont mind answering it. is your helmet a little bit banged up looking and uneven on some spots? because i also have the pepakura model which im working on right now, and it has some spots that are a little banged up looking. just wondering if thats normal because i figured with delta he would look a little damaged anyway but still just making sure.
thanks.

First off I'd like to give a general warning about the pep file; The helmet you see here and the original file look nothing alike. The file provides a good base to start with compared to shaping everything from scratch. I had to print the file twice on diffrent scales and then cut and trim it to get it to an acceptable shape, and most of the final shape was achieved with bondo and wood, hence the reason I needed to cast it to make something wearable. In otherwords no details of the pep file should appear on the final product.

As far as damage on the helmet there are two sources. The pepakura file is not 100% symetric with the folds causing some sharp ridges in some spots and valleys in others. Additionally, the file did not have any supports and I used a manaquine to support the paper durring glasing, so the final helmet unintentionally does have the apperance of being dented and bent in a few locations. Additionally, when I smoothed the helmet I left a few depressions unfilled (i.e. I limited the number of bondo/sanding cycles) to give the impression of dents. The nice thing about this project is that the suit needs to look like big things have hit in and the imperfections give it the desired look.

The other source is Dave and I did add other imperfections, cracks, and scratches into the helmet during weathering to give it a true warn our look.

As far as progress goes, The drill is painted and off at weathing right now where Dave will be adding all the blood, grime, and meat to the drill. I've also started the "Flavor Flav" weight and we are planning to start the dive suit tomorrow. After the suit is made I can start focusing on the remaing hard details as well as the little sister syringe. Stay tuned.

First off I'd like to give a general warning about the pep file; The helmet you see here and the original file look nothing alike. The file provides a good base to start with compared to shaping everything from scratch. I had to print the file twice on diffrent scales and then cut and trim it to get it to an acceptable shape, and most of the final shape was achieved with bondo and wood, hence the reason I needed to cast it to make something wearable. In otherwords no details of the pep file should appear on the final product.

As far as damage on the helmet there are two sources. The pepakura file is not 100% symetric with the folds causing some sharp ridges in some spots and valleys in others. Additionally, the file did not have any supports and I used a manaquine to support the paper durring glasing, so the final helmet unintentionally does have the apperance of being dented and bent in a few locations. Additionally, when I smoothed the helmet I left a few depressions unfilled (i.e. I limited the number of bondo/sanding cycles) to give the impression of dents. The nice thing about this project is that the suit needs to look like big things have hit in and the imperfections give it the desired look.

The other source is Dave and I did add other imperfections, cracks, and scratches into the helmet during weathering to give it a true warn our look.

As far as progress goes, The drill is painted and off at weathing right now where Dave will be adding all the blood, grime, and meat to the drill. I've also started the "Flavor Flav" weight and we are planning to start the dive suit tomorrow. After the suit is made I can start focusing on the remaing hard details as well as the little sister syringe. Stay tuned.
i agree, ive had to layer mine up with fiberglass and bondo, and ive had to even cut things off and redo it myself. ya the imperfections definatley give it a good look. mine has one near the top of the head and it looks exactly like its been hit with a wrench or a pipe. keep up the good work :thumbsup

Here are a few more updates that have been made in the last few weeks.
The drill has been painted and is ready for weathering! Additionally cloth has been wrapped around the center support to give the illusion it is not there.
DSCF1088.jpg

DSCF1129.jpg

The Dive suit was made by taking apart a Rothco Jumpsuit (same type we used for our Ghostbuster and ODST builds, but I got the next size up) an using it as a pattern for thick weave cotton fabric dyed a combination of denim blue and brown. To this I have started to add the reinforced patch detail with brown duck cloth.
DSCF1103.jpg

DSCF1107.jpg

DSCF1108.jpg

DSCF1154.jpg

Additionally the large “Flavor Flav” weight was cut and carved from MDF and will be painted and weathered shortly.
DSCF1068.jpg

DSCF1148.jpg

More to come…

I'm looking forward to when all of this gets a nice ****-wash.

Bioshock props never look pretty when they're factory fresh.

Apparently I didn’t take as many pictures as I thought today, but I do have some progress to share. I have been working on the jumpsuit adding patches made from duck cloth to the appropriate places. Earlier I decided to try some of the suit on with the current padding and progress. Here is roughly where I am now:
DSCF1168.jpg

I also made some good progress on the BFK, which is made from PVC, fiberglass, and a hole saw servs as the handle.
DSCF1172.jpg

DSCF1175.jpg

Not pictured is the dyed glove for the right hand, padded undersuit, or the work I have made on the knee armor buck. I should have a mostly complete dive suit tomorrow and will then be hitting the smaller armor pieces followed by the boots.

Last edited by a moderator:

this is starting to look pretty freaking good.. just need to super distress it.. airbrush :)

Progress has been slow but steady, mostly because I hate sewing and the Portal Gun and Daft punk have been getting most of my attention. That said, here are some more progress pics.

To start with, the BFK has been painted and the rope for the flavor flav weight has been dyed.

DSCF1188.jpg

Today I went ahead and made the left hand glove by taking a gardening glove and sewing a custom made cuff on it.

DSCF1226.jpg

DSCF1227.jpg

I tried on the suit with the glove and also laid out the waist holster. I am very happy with the result thus far.

DSCF1230.jpg

Underneath the jumpsuit is padding and a cold vest. The pants are custom made with two pairs of sweat pants and plush filling. Originally I had a full muscle shirt for the top, but since the cooling vest bulks out my torso I took the sleeves off and sewed them to an old tee shirt.

DSCF1232.jpg

DSCF1233.jpg

DSCF1234.jpg

I also casted two knee plates for the dive suit.

DSCF1221.jpg

Next step is to make some greeblies and start on the boots.

All up sweet work. What is that material you used for the main suit and did you use a normal sewing machine or an industrial one?

The fabic is a thick weave cotton sewn ontop of a rothco flight suit. We did this for a number of reasons, including:

-The flight suit was a great pattern
-The heavy weave fabric is not loadbearing, the rothco takes the abuse
-The zipper stayed in tack.

Everythink was done with a basic sewing machine, including the duct cloth patch work and the glove.

Some more updates. The fingertips of the glove we made by stuffing a similar glove and painting it with resin to turn the glove fabric itself into a composite material. Some bondo and sanding later, I had perfect fitting fingertips!

DSCF1326.jpg

DSCF1331.jpg

DSCF1333.jpg

DSCF1352.jpg

Other details were made and attached with shoe goo or hot glue depending on the location. I have to fix the location of the palm iris but overall I am really happy with how this turned out.

DSCF1371.jpg

DSCF1374.jpg

The boots were made by building foam around boots that normally fit me (size 12). Then poster board and cloth were used to build up the outer cover with fiberglass toe guards. They are 16 inches long which I believe makes them a size 24.

DSCF1351.jpg

DSCF1358.jpg

DSCF1359.jpg

DSCF1362.jpg

DSCF1372.jpg

I have to finish some greeblies this week but the first full fitting will happen before the end of the month. Stay tuned…

Outstanding. Alot better than paying the thousands that the Mucklefiguren people want for their life size version. I wish you luck with such a big project. Show them up.

Last edited:

Awesome job on the costume so far! Those boots look crazy good! Have you tried walking in them yet?

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back