Movies that should never be re-made

Supa troop

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Re-done, re-imagined, re-hashed

call it what you like but in your opinion which Movies do you think should never have been re-made because the original was far better and which movies should never be re-imagined

The Italian Job was a classic so why re do it :confused the newer version was no where near as good.

the Wizard of Oz should never be re-imagined but they are doing it, Why ???? has holly wood run out of ideas ?

They never should have done transformers as anything other than a G1 style animated movie or all CGI video game quality (which in the war for cybertron game was good).
Robocop
Back to the future
ladyhawk
red dawn
nearly every 80s movie in my opinion
french connection

Casablanca
Gone With the Wind
The Godfather
One Who Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
Raiders of the Lost Ark
It's a Wonderful Life
Back to the Future Trilogy
Star Wars
The Day the Earth Stood Still (oops!)
Star Trek (major oops!)

Man, I think it'd be easier to come up with a list that SHOULD. I've enjoyed some remakes, but very, very few and far between. For each time I say "yeah, fun new take on the material," there are ten times I say "why bother?" and a few times where I'm frothing with outright cries of "blasphemy!"

But for fun, here are some of my favorite movies, and hence movies I think should never be remade.

1. Seven Samurai
2. Blade Runner
3. The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly
4. Let the Right One In (I watched a snippet of the American re-make, decided I wasn't interested in seeing it).
5. Apocalypse Now
6. Kill Bill
7. Star Wars (OT)
8. Robocop
9. Nightmare Before Christmas
10. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
11. Mad Max 1 and 2
12. The Godfather
13. Psycho
14. Yojimbo
15. Casablanca

It's funny how some re-makes cause a stir and then are more or less forgotten. I was re-watching Psycho a few weeks back, and suddenly I remembered: didn't they re-do that with Vince Vaugn or something? And it's already pretty much forgotten. But Hitchcock's brilliant original lives on.

NO movies should be re-made by Hollywood in its current pathetic state.

I'm convinced Solo114 is right that the suits have perfected their marketing tools to such a pitch now, that they calculate they can now make their money while making minimal effort in the filmmaking dept. Money for nothing is their philosophy. They cynically calculate that it's an effort to think up and market new stories, hence remakes, sequels and rehashes of existing brands. They've seen poorly-written, poorly directed films make millions, and so now calculate that it's wasted trouble to bother making these rehashes even well-written or well-directed.

But for fun, here are some of my favorite movies, and hence movies I think should never be remade.

1. Seven Samurai

Don't mean to nitpick, but you do know this was remade a couple of times? Just, you know, not with Samurai.

And Yojimbo was reimagined into Eastwood's The Man With No Name films wasn't it?

For me- if they remake Star Trek II, I burn Hollywood to the ground.

No wait... That was Nemesis... and Trek '09. Oh well. :unsure

Kevin

Not just an effort, but a risk.

A remake is SAFE because people already are familiar with the product. You know the brand. You have, most likely, SOME positive connotations in your mind with that brand. Even if you don't, the mere fact that you are FAMILIAR with the brand means the studio has less work to do in convincing you to see the film. Why? Because -- merely by virtue of the brand itself -- you know what you're getting into.

Take Transformers, for example. You call it Battle Bots, change the robots' names, and make ONE voice-cast change (Peter Cullen) and suddenly all you have is some crappy Transformers knockoff film. BUT, you slap that Transformers label on it, cast Peter Cullen, and people line up to see it. Even if they enjoy the Baysplosions, I doubt the studio would be able to launch a Battle Bots franchise. BUT, again, the Transformers name and intellectual property window dressing gets people into the theater.

Same deal with the recent G.I. Joe film. Rename the characters and strip out the associated IP, call it "TacCom: Global Commandos," and it's just some lame G.I. Joe knockoff. Even with a decent cast, and big 'splosions, the film maybe makes a minor profit at the box office, does middling in the DVD market, and that's it. $200 mil spent to make maybe $50 mil profit.

Why the hell would ANYONE do that when they can simply graft on the intellectual property from these franchises and in so doing probably QUADRUPLE the amount of money they'd make? I mean, are the executives cynical? Sure. But they're also right. Seriously, I challenge ANYONE here to play the thought exercise I described above (IE: stripping out the IP from the two films mentioned above), and then try to tell me that either film would've been the success it was.

Brands act as shorthand. What's the first thing you ask about a movie, usually, if you don't know anything about it but the title? Me, I usually ask "What's it about?" By contrast, if ALL I tell you is "Hey, new movie coming out. Title is Goonies," you INSTANTLY know what the movie is about. I don't have to tell you who's in it, I don't have to tell you the plot. I don't have to tell you ANYTHING except the NAME and you know everything you need to know to at LEAST pique your curiosity (or your ire).

That is the power of branding. That is why you see remakes, re-imaginings, and reboots of franchises even after only about 4-6 years from the last entry. I guarantee you that if there had NEVER been a Robocop film made in 1987 and nobody knew about that brand, there is no way in HELL that film would be green-lit, even though we can all agree that any way you spin it, the concept is pretty damn solid ground on which to build a cool sci-fi or superhero film. But why, if there is no brand familiarity, would a studio RISK that the film might not do that well, when they can simply reboot Spiderman now that none of the original cast are bound to their original 3-picture contracts, unless the brand wasn't JUST "Spiderman" but rather the ACTORS who play the roles IN ADDITION to the characters in the films? I guaran-****ing-tee you that Disney would "reboot" the Pirates franchise IN A HEARTBEAT if they thought that ANYONE would go see those films WITHOUT Johnny Depp as Jack Sparrow. But that's the thing: the Pirates Franchise basically IS "Johnny Depp as Jack Sparrow." At least for the present. But if they could figure out how to do a Pirates film WITHOUT him, I guarantee you they would.

But Spiderman? Pfft. Who cares about crybaby Tobey MacGuire or snaggle-toothed pasty-skinned Kirsten Dunst? We can recast 'em in a heartbeat, reboot the films, set them back in high school, and appeal to a whole new demographic....until we run out the three-picture deal in another, oh, 8-ish years and reboot AGAIN.

For me- if they remake Star Trek II, I burn Hollywood to the ground.

No wait... That was Nemesis... and Trek '09. Oh well. :unsure

Kevin[/QUOTE]

Wow I never made that connection :confused

Wow I never made that connection :confused

Very simple formula:

Insane badguy bent on revenge:

ST:II= Khan |Nemesis= Shinzon |Trek09= Nero

Superdestructo device:

ST:II= Genesis device |Nemesis= Thalaron radiation bomb |Trek09= Red Matter

Beloved main cast member dies: (Bonus points if done "saving the ship")

ST:II= Spock |Nemesis= Data |Trek09= Amanda and Vulcan itself (bit of a stretch here)

You could throw in ST:Generations too except Soran wasn't bent on revenge (but was insane), had a star imploding device, and Kirk died in the end.

Enough similarities for me. ;)

Kevin

Don't mean to nitpick, but you do know this was remade a couple of times? Just, you know, not with Samurai.

And Yojimbo was reimagined into Eastwood's The Man With No Name films wasn't it?

Kevin

Yeah i thought this too, the Magnificent seven springs to my mind, i could be wrong

I have to say that even though I'm a big Arnie fan Total Recall should have been made without him.

One of the premises of Total Recall is to keep you guessing whether or not what is happening is "real" or just "false implanted memories."

The problem with having Schwarzenegger in the lead role is that Arnie is known for being a (literally) larger than life, action hero.

Because of this it is difficult if not impossible to believe that everything happening is "all in his head" and not real. I mean he's Arnie! Of course he knows how to break a man's neck in a second, how to shoot with deadly accuracy, and escape death several times!

But the whole point is to keep you wondering "hey maybe this IS just an out of control memory implant."

The movie needed more of an "everyman" who doesn't look the "superspy" type but maybe just might be.

You couldn't cast someone like Woody Allen (or for the younger folk... uhh... Michael Cera? :lol) either as it would have exactly the opposite effect- the audience would have a hard time believing that it IS all real and not a false memory.

I've always believed Total Recall would have been a little closer to the PKD story if it had someone like Matt Damon in it (yeah yeah :rolleyes :lol).

Colin Farrell... Sounds good to me! :thumbsup

Total Recall isn't exactly Schwazenegger's or Verhoeven's best, nor is it Othello. ;)

Kevin

Last edited:
There are some good remakes.

Maltese Falcon
The Thing
Oceans 11
Cape Fear
The Fly
3:10 To Yuma

I like both versions of The Italian Job. Just because a remake is made, doenst mean the original is ruined, or that they both cant be good.

I think the idea of a Total Recall remake sounds great.

It's not that remakes are always per se bad. But with respect to things like action and sci-fi and such, they're ALL that gets made anymore. Remakes, reboots, sequels, and prequels, or other branded properties. You don't have as many original ideas being made because they're too risky and because the people running the studios are marketing guys who naturally view "new" as "risky," rather than as an "opportunity."

Someone (I forget who, so apologies) recently posted an article about how films like Inception are so rare these days (and how, unsurprisingly, an Inception 2 would be a no-brainer for any studio). It's because marketing guys run the show now. They know they don't have to make anything impressive, just something that sells and is -- ideally -- disposable so you can sell people something NEW after that.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back