Movies that should never be re-made

Only ever seen one remake that I liked - The Bourne Identity.

Italian Job was OK-ish. Felt more like a pseudo-sequel than a remake, mainly because of all the homages to the original.

HATED Clash of the Titans and especially The A-Team. The original wasn't that good anyway, but I always thought they were called the A-Team because they were ex-Green Berets. Why then are they Army Rangers in the new film? Might as well have a film called The Fall Of Troy, but make it about Jericho or something.

What I hate more is not so much a re-make, but a "re-boot" or a "re-imagining". It basically means **** all over the decades of established story, replace with CGI and a plot written by a twelve-year-old.

Next - Indiana Jones, where it's now about a female palaeontologist, with a trademark fez hat who carries a vaulting pole...

BTTF Trilogy.
Star Wars.
American Psycho.
The Fifth Element.
Apocalypse Now.
Blade Runner.
Raging Bull.
Taxi Driver.
The Alien movies.
Terminator.
And mostly every single 80's movies.

But that's just my opinion. :)

They shouldn't remake ANY movie that was made properly. Gutless execs just want a 'sure win' and usually screw it up anyway.

Remake the crappy movies if they want to show their brilliance.

I'm not completely against remakes, lets not forget there are generations out there who have not seen the originals. Granted a lot of the time they screw it up something rotten.

Saying that certain movies are timeless and would seem wrong.

The Princess Bride!

I know it's a lot of fun to beat up on Hollywood for remaking movies but the bottom line is ever since people have been telling stories they have been re-telling those stories and updating them for a new audience. Personally I don't care if Hollywood remakes Citizen Kane. I can watch it or ignore it. In all but a few very rare instances the original films are still available.

I for one hate the Wonka remake but ya know what, I still watch the original. On the flip side I really enjoyed the Fright Night remake as I feel time has not been kind to the original.

Lastly, there are lots of original movies made every year (or movies based on books, plays, games, etc that have never been broght to screen before). I've always felt the charge that Hollywood has run out of ideas to be a case of cherry picking data.

Here's an idea Hollywood. If a movie is good, DON'T REMAKE IT! If a film was decent and had potential but fell short in some way or other, feel free. But then again Hollywood can't come up with an original idea to market, so let's REMAKE SOMETHING!!!!! BRILLIANT!

I'm surprised no one has said anything about the Lord of the Rings trilogy. I'm pretty sure I'd kill myself if someone decided to remake it in a few years with someone like Justin Bieber as Frodo. :facepalm:facepalm:facepalm

The question should really be, which movies were they right to remake? That list would take far less time to compile - certainly when talking about remakes perpetrated over the last 15 years or so. Older remakes from the 70s and before are of course far better than today's crop, and are often masterworks, a fact due to Holllywood simply being far better at making films then than it is now.

Remakes that shouldn't be done? Every movie that had a solid storyline and got everything right the first time.

What should be remade? Movies that screwed up in more than one way.

I'm surprised no one has said anything about the Lord of the Rings trilogy. I'm pretty sure I'd kill myself if someone decided to remake it in a few years with someone like Justin Bieber as Frodo. :facepalm:facepalm:facepalm
Lord of the Rings IS a remake.

And Lucas remakes the Star Wars movies every few years. The last original idea he had was Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull.

Never remake Airplane! or Animal House.

There are very few remakes that have been good. One of the biggest letdowns for me was the Clash Of The Titans. That had so much potential but it was rushed and totally sucked. Now they are making a sequel. Ugh, I hate hollywood.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back