The White Stripes (Jack White)

IndyFanChuck

Sr Member
:cheers

Last year, I REALLY got into the music of Jack White and the White Stripes. I literally purchased every single legal iTunes White Stripes song. Then I got into the music of his other bands, the Dead Weather, and the Raconteurs and I have to say, Jack White is probably my all time favorite musician.

I was just wondering if anyone else on the RPF is a White Stripes or Jack White fan?

If you are, what are your favorite albums? Favorite songs? Favorite Videos?

Anyone else here collect LIVE White Stripes music? I think I'm about to get into collecting high quality live concerts.

Anyway, I just wanted to see who else was really enjoying Jack's career and music!

whitestripes029384392.jpg

The_Dead_Weather_Glastonbury_2009-1.jpg

---Chuck

I'm not a huge fan, but I think he is definitely one of the music industry's premiere icons right now. Not just as a performer, but a lover of all things creative, he is a force to watch. Third Man Records did some spoken word releases, called the Green series, that I've been meaning to check out.
The fact that Third Man only does vinyl is just awesome.

If you like the White Stripes..you will also like The Black Keys.

Very cool bands.

As a guitarist..I admire the tone these two bands produce.

Also...you have to see "It Might Get Loud".

A great doc about Jack White, The Edge and Jimmie Page.

Absolutely awesome doc.

It is on Netflix streaming now.

Want to like him. Dig the 70's rock vibe. He wrote that one great song, "Seven Nation Army." But since then I've never heard anything else that comes close to it. And I didn't think much of his Alicia Keys/James Bond theme. Any particular song you'd recommend to change my mind?

His stuff's ok to me. I think he's a bit overrated as a guitarist. I appreciate the creativity, but I don't think it's that difficult to be creative in today's environment. I do appreciate the "back to basics" quality of some of his stuff, though.

Every person that can even stand modern music should be forced to listen to both Raconteurs albums and both dead weather albums.

For me, being a drummer my whole life I just never liked the white stripes. Till I saw them live. Then I thought. Man... I would love to hear what Jack would do with a real band!

I got to see the Raconteurs in Nashville at the Ryman auditorium (original grand ole opry)

Was on the first row right in front of Jack the whole time. Man what a show!

Anyone who doesn't like the White Stripes, I feel your pain. But Jack is a seriously badass musician/singer/songwriter. Give his other bands a chance.

Only thing that sucks is they say there will be no more Raconteurs. :(

Another White Strips fan here. Unfortunately they just broke up so there will be no new White Stripes music! I am sure Jack White will continue to record on his own.
Favorites...I love their blues covers/version like Death Letter, Stop Breakin' Down, Your Southern Can is Mine. All the music is good stuff.

Another vote here for It Might Get Loud, great doc.

I freaking love White Stripes. In the days of Auto tune and people just saying, "yo, yea, here we go," White Stripes is a treat. The raw emotion that man can conjure up on stage is impressive. There rendition of "Jolene" is a personal favorite of mine. "Seven Nation Army" will always hold a special place in my heart, good memories with that song.

I'm wearing a Dead Weather shirt as I type this. He's cool, and I appreciate what he and The White Stripes first contributed in the early 2000's with the whole "revival" of good rock music (The Strokes, The Hives, etc). I think he's a bit pretentious at times to be honest. In "It Might Get Loud" he says how he uses guitars that don't stay in tune well and have warped necks...well, he has a guitar tech on the road with him, so he doesn't really have to worry about that kind of stuff. Truss Rod adjustments and a tuner pedal, all I'm saying. Other than that one comment he made in that movie, he's cool. That's just more a picky thing really, haha.

If Jack released all the white stripes songs without meg I'd buy 'em. Cant stand gimmick being more important than musicianship and meg was just a gimmick. She certainly wasnt a musician.

Raconteurs and Dead weathers are fantastic though. Got all their material. Jack is a very talented man but lets not take anything away from Brendan Benson as a songwriter.
Patrick Keeler, great drummer. Love his style.

My wife was the big White Stripes fan for about a good year until she got me to go see them in Myrtle beach. We left that show and drove to Birmingham for the next one. I just didn't "get it" until seeing them live. It was a totally different experience and the energy Jack puts off really made the music somewhat more than it was just hearing it on cd. Glad we went to these shows since shortly after that Meg started having anxiety issues and the tour was canceled. Of course nobody knew at the time that was to be the last Stripes tour.

Anyway, we go to Nashville regularly for releases at Third Man Records(Jack's home base and record label). "Record Store Day" is coming up next month I believe and should be a good time at both Third Man and Grimmeys in Nashville. Since you're interested in Jack's music I'd suggest joining "The Vault", which is a forum for people into that and other recordings released on Jack's label. There are many recordings only made available to Vault members, so if you're into vinyl especially, then it's a really great thing. Perhaps you could meet us in Nashville some time. There's usually a large group of us and we've got to meet Jack a few times at The store there. My wife's best friend also organizes "The Vault" party which will be held for the second time this year. It's just a private party for vault members and bands on the label will perform and hang out for the weekend. It's a lot of fun.

That sounds incredible. Seriously. I'm in Memphis, so I'm only three hours away from Nashville. My wife and I would LOVE this.

When exactly is the next one?

My wife was the big White Stripes fan for about a good year until she got me to go see them in Myrtle beach. We left that show and drove to Birmingham for the next one. I just didn't "get it" until seeing them live. It was a totally different experience and the energy Jack puts off really made the music somewhat more than it was just hearing it on cd. Glad we went to these shows since shortly after that Meg started having anxiety issues and the tour was canceled. Of course nobody knew at the time that was to be the last Stripes tour.

Anyway, we go to Nashville regularly for releases at Third Man Records(Jack's home base and record label). "Record Store Day" is coming up next month I believe and should be a good time at both Third Man and Grimmeys in Nashville. Since you're interested in Jack's music I'd suggest joining "The Vault", which is a forum for people into that and other recordings released on Jack's label. There are many recordings only made available to Vault members, so if you're into vinyl especially, then it's a really great thing. Perhaps you could meet us in Nashville some time. There's usually a large group of us and we've got to meet Jack a few times at The store there. My wife's best friend also organizes "The Vault" party which will be held for the second time this year. It's just a private party for vault members and bands on the label will perform and hang out for the weekend. It's a lot of fun.

Jack and Meg once frequented the bar around the corner and the down the street from where I grew up. Sadly, The Norwalk Bar is closed now... but I remember stopping in there once and I bought a round for the 'boys' - I asked how much, he looked at me like I was nuts and said "four drinks, $4."

I thought "The White Stripes" and "White Blood Cells" were pretty good albums. I also enjoy "Under the Great White Northern Lights" but The White Stripes don't even compare to The Black Keys IMO.

I saw The Raconeurs with The Black Keys a couple years ago and even live there was no comparison.

Don't get me wrong, I think Jack's a great musician but he's not the guitarist that Dan Auerbach is.

BTW, I just read that The White Stripes were officially done. This true?

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back