CC/Salzo X-Wing Model Kit

Jedi Bailinkski

CC/Salzo X-Wing Model Kit

I have one on the way. Has anyone built one, I would be happy for any helpful details. What tools will I need and any how toos. I got the lighting kit to go with it too.

Thanks in advance.

Replace laser barrels with nested brass tubes - easier and sharper than sanding seams.

Add hoses to the cockpit (or replace the interior insert alltogether and reflect the 1:1 design).

Pin those wings to the body for added strength - you can use brass tubing for that.

Paint and weather stuff in subassemblies - especially wings.

Be patient and plan that light kit installation very carefully... I always mess up and have to putty over gaping holes ;)

Speaking of putty - get Aves Apoxie Sculpt. It kicks Milliputs butt - it's an A/B putty, is NON-toxic, and sands/cuts like a dream.

Have fun.

I know when "Capt. Cardboard" was selling the kits, there was an assembly CD that he sent out. It had step-by-step videos for alll the major steps.
There was an online source somewhere to d/l the videos. You could try searching for it, or just ask Scott. He might be able to hook you up.

<div class='quotetop'>(superjedi @ Aug 4 2006, 09:31 PM) [snapback]1294212[/snapback]</div>
I know when "Capt. Cardboard" was selling the kits, there was an assembly CD that he sent out. It had step-by-step videos for alll the major steps.
There was an online source somewhere to d/l the videos. You could try searching for it, or just ask Scott. He might be able to hook you up.
[/b]

Who is Scott? PM me contact info please.

Im not done with mine yet, about half way through.

The back plate is too large (tall) to fit the fuselage perfectly. I soaked the bottom fuselage and used weights to warp the bottom fuselage into better fitting position to minimize sanding and puttying. Also anything else that isnt fitting right you can soak in hot water and use weights or whatever to set it in place or to straighten the wings or make the fuselage mating surfaces perfectly flat.
Use five minute epoxy for gluing the nose. That way you have time to fudge it around so it is straight.

Lighting the kit is the only way to go. Have to drill carefully to get all the holes needed to pipe the wires to the engines. But it is worth it.

Link for others curious...

http://www.hyperdynelabs.com/products_elec_modelLight.php

The engine effects are stunning. Vid doesnt capture how great it looks.
Great R2 lighting effects too, you can set it up to fade from one color into another.

R2 sits a little low, he needs to be boosted up a tad to be screen accurate.

Dremel and little tiny drills you can twist by hand are your friends.

Well it depends on what you want to do.
The real models (at least in ANH, original edition ;)) Only had engine lights. Nothing in the cockpit, nothing in R2. I am unsure about ESB, ROTJ. I don't mean to discourage the lights because they do look great and make the model SNAP, but it is all based on what ya want.

And this should be in the Studio Scale section ;)

<div class='quotetop'>(moffeaton @ Aug 5 2006, 01:08 AM) [snapback]1294196[/snapback]</div>
Replace laser barrels with nested brass tubes - easier and sharper than sanding seams.

Add hoses to the cockpit (or replace the interior insert alltogether and reflect the 1:1 design).

Pin those wings to the body for added strength - you can use brass tubing for that.

Paint and weather stuff in subassemblies - especially wings.

Be patient and plan that light kit installation very carefully... I always mess up and have to putty over gaping holes ;)

Speaking of putty - get Aves Apoxie Sculpt. It kicks Milliputs butt - it's an A/B putty, is NON-toxic, and sands/cuts like a dream.

Have fun.
[/b]

Jason, I PM'd ya but my question is what's the best size for the nested tubing...?

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back