X wings were not white!!!!

I am sorry to see this thread take a ----.

I still think it could turn around. I was seeing the humor, and thought it was an interesting way to get people to get jazzed about color. Just when you stir the bees Steve, it's important to wear the suit and follow up with the promise of good intentions.

Hope folks can let it go and get back collaborating, so I can start to rt-click ind save again.

Sure Steve put way too much sugar on his wheaties, but i for one was watching with interest. We all know the earth is round, but at one stage we thought it was flat. so any new information regarding these things can only be helpful. As far as reference pix are concerned, i for one am gagging for more reference. Especially where the x's are concerned. i would pay money for that.

In a few short weeks i will have four x wings sitting here in primer and thought this thread couldn't have come at a better time. It was only a few months back we were shown the test shots of the purple Tie's. Any new information that comes to light to bennefit the community must be a good thing no matter how it was delivered.

please reconsider.

I just didn't see the point of Steve going on and on and on... and then not addressing what his interpretation of the color in question was. It wasn't like he didn't have time to post an answer between his multi-paragraph posts and replies...

Sure Steve put way too much sugar on his wheaties, but i for one was watching with interest. We all know the earth is round, but at one stage we thought it was flat. so any new information regarding these things can only be helpful. As far as reference pix are concerned, i for one am gagging for more reference. Especially where the x's are concerned. i would pay money for that.

At least Moffeaton gave us another glimpse of knicker (Red 2)! Lol... Seriously, thanks for those pics, Jason.

I don't have a good photo survey of Red 1... hope one surfaces eventually. It's on my "to-do before I die" list.

Nice one, Colin. Man, I dunno - Models and Magic or Starship Modeler or something? The Red 2 pics all have a ©Uwe Fisher at the bottom (might have the spelling wrong as I'm going from memory)... I thought everyone had those? Here's one from Ken:

http://www.starshipmodeler.com/starwars/refpix/kr_Xwing_side_right.JPG

Blue 1 is one I'm working on. I'm not posting nuttin' until I get my model done, because I'm motivated to be "first!!!" with a replica for once in my dang life. Decals and all.

Oh how I long for the good ole days when you actually had to do something to get naughty messages form the admins... Sheesh. There should be a grandfather clause in the rules of conduct that exempts us "old-timers" ;)

Jedi Dade

Um, what was the OP a response to? Whoever suggested (besides Kenner in 1977) the X-wing was white? If someone thought it was white over black with the white kinda sanded off a bit, then it's not white. Most threads talk about it being off white (which is not white), light gray, camouflage gray, a combo of deck tan and white (still not white), etc. However, the casual armor modeler at a show would wander over to the sci-fi section and (if he came across a white x-wing--which I've never seen) think that just ain't right. And that's what I said when I saw the first Kenner X-wing after ANH came out in theaters. And I was only seven or eight and not overtly concerned about accuracy to the degree some people are. I thought the gray of the second generation of Kenner X-wings was also not right, but it seemed better than the original white Kenner x-wing. The problem with the OP was that it was a response to something that doesn't exist--the idea that x-wings were white. It's like showing up at a babtist church and saying ***** was the son of God, and let me tell you why you're all wrong for thinking he's not. I know the OP didn't say people we wrong explicitly, but if you don't think he did implicitly, you need a lesson in rhetoric.

Nice one, Colin. Man, I dunno - Models and Magic or Starship Modeler or something? The Red 2 pics all have a ©Uwe Fisher at the bottom (might have the spelling wrong as I'm going from memory)... I thought everyone had those? Here's one from Ken:

http://www.starshipmodeler.com/starwars/refpix/kr_Xwing_side_right.JPG

Blue 1 is one I'm working on. I'm not posting nuttin' until I get my model done, because I'm motivated to be "first!!!" with a replica for once in my dang life. Decals and all.

Oh, that's weird... I just checked and I have all the Ken Rice and Uwe Fischer ones from those sites, but that Red 2 profile you posted I never saw before - it's higher res/better focus than Rice/Fischer too. As for the Blue 1 shots, well, that's where you're giving us a flash, right? If so, it's much appreciated, and I absolutely understand why you want to keep 'em to yourself. Looking forward to seeing the build...

Still don't know which the hell one I'm going to paint mine as. Since I already blew it re accuracy 'cos I got a Red 5 kit but don't want to paint that one now, I'm thinking of doing my ideal X colour scheme - Blue Leader but with Red 2's red stripes. And hey, who knows, maybe the model looked like that for about five minutes some point back in '76... For me, the glory of Blue Leader is the white - sorry, off-white, lol - canopy.

Found this digging through ILM website:

xwingbase.jpg

So for the small photo i took a screen grab from ILM website

I have seen many photographs and viewed the original models in person, so can definitively state that Red 2 was green, although the shade of green changed during production and was often bleached out by lighting....

err, wait, err no sorry, it was THUNDERBIRD 2 that was green...now, was Lorne Peterson's hair white or grey? Possibly a grey base with off white highlights?

Nurse! I'm out again... take me back to the nice room with the soft walls.

Sorry to open a necropost, but I was looking at the profiles in history auction of the original X-wing from a few years ago.

X-Wing & Y-Wing Models: Profiles in History 'Hollywood Auction 40' Preview - YouTube
This is stated as being constructed during the time period (76/77) for pyro work, but not used. In fact, the wings were recycled from another pyro(s).

And, regarding Scott's (Captain Cardboard)'s reference to Krylon Platinum Grey primer:
"When I first started working in the movie model biz, in 1984, I was determined to do one thing-- get my hands on original castings from an X-wing. That never happened. But in my search, I did come across the people who had worked at ILM. The models were all based out using Krylon Platinum Gray Primer. This primer was very similar to Testors Camouflage Gray, which was just a tad bit darker and slightly pink. At the time I found this out, the Krylon paint was still available. I looked for it years later and found that despite it having the same name, the color was much darker."

I am wondering if the paint on the xwing is this older krylon platinum grey primer, as it was stated to have been made during the movie timeframe? The colour does seem like it would make a good base for painting, and not completely unlike some grey seen on various pyro parts.

See below wing belonging to one of the members here:
IMG_5366.jpg
IMG_5370.jpg

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back