Star Trek Bajoran PADD Help

Garandguy56

Hello everyone,
I recently obtained this prop from reelart who obtained it from Profiles in History. It is supposedly a screen-used Bajoran PADD from Deep Space 9, however I am unable to find this particular one with this particular graphic ANYWHERE. Can anyone help?

BajoranPADD.jpg

Here's what I get:
Googling gave me this ebay auction (ended) with the seller Reel Art claiming it as screen used in TNG
Star Trek; Deep Space Nine Bajoran Padd D Prop - eBay (item 360252588488 end time Feb-04-11 15:00:05 PST)
And searching "Reel Art" here on the RPF gave me a couple of threads where folks say Reel Art is a known recaster. e.g. here: http://www.therpf.com/f9/iniana-jones-reel-art-crystal-skull-any-good-82246/
I'm struggling to recall where a Bajoran PADD might have been used in "Redemption", and I can't see it in Trekcore's screencaps. I find Picard using several Starfleet PADDs and even a Klingon one, but Bajoran, no.
I'm sorry to say this isn't looking good. If anyone else knows better...

I actually contacted Denise and Michael Okuda about the prop (if anyone doesn't know, Denise was one of the heads of the graphic design department for Star Trek). She says that this item looks like one of their background pieces and I am attempting to confirm the design with them. Reelart's stuff does look a bit dodgy, but he did include a copy of his invoice from Profiles in History and I contacted them about it as well....

Well, I hope the PiH invoice and thus the prop, turn out to be genuine. You can't get a better verification check than going direct to an Okuda!

I agree that reelart is a known recaster, but this type of padd was used as a background padd and sometimes a hero padd. Here is a photo of my padd, purchased long ago at a Creation Convention charity auction with a Paramount letter of authenticity (yes, long ago Paramount gave out letters signed by a line producer and the propmaster for their donated items) so I know mine is the real deal. I have not found a screen cap of Rene using this type of padd facing the camera, although I have found several screen caps of him holding this type of padd showing the back side of this padd......

norm-491e7ef4b9b5d-Star+Trek%3A+Deep+Space+Nine+%28TV%29+%281993%29.jpeg

norm-491e7f899c570-Star+Trek%3A+Deep+Space+Nine+%28TV%29+%281993%29.jpeg

Last edited:
From Denise and Michael Okuda:

"
That looks to us to be one of our "generic" props, one that was probably used in several episodes as a background piece, as opposed to something that was generated for a specific story point. Beyond that, it's hard to tell without checking numerous episodes on DVD."

Does everyone think this is adequate enough proof?

Thanks RK! I got in touch with Mike and this is what he said about the PADD:

"That padd was made for DS9 1st or 2nd season and then used through out the
rest of all incarnations of the other shows and movies..
There is no prop department at Viacom. There was a Viacom store that sold
Unfilmed org."

Looks like good news to me!

Hmmmm....there's something in the back of my mind giving me so much doubt on this piece...Does anyone know of someone that would be able to definitively answer if this was actually used on the show? Any ideas or pieces of advice?

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back