Blade Runner 2049

Is there a nuclear winter?

The snow looks a bit on the grey side.

Yes, WWIII called World War Terminus has already happened. It involved widespread use of smaller tactical nuclear warheads that were supposed to mitigate the overall damage, but instead poisoned the atmosphere. First the animals started to die, which is why they are so rare and sought after, even animoids. Replicant technology first began as a way to replace all the animals. The Tyrell logo is an Owl. The Owls were the first animal to start dying due to the 'kipple'. The Radioactive dust that is slowly burying the planet. This is also why anyone who can afford to get off Earth is moving to the OffWorld colonies.

Deckard is no longer the man he was when we meet him in the first film. There is a history there involving a nickname of Mr. Nighttime, and replicants called him the boogeyman. He was a replicant retirement machine at one point in his career. Meaning he killed a lot of skin jobs, enough to earn a reputation. Then one day he'd had a "belly full" of killing and stopped. The idea being, I think, is that he was a severely broken man.

This also means we have no idea what generation of replicants he was good at killing. But it was obviously not the Nexus 6, as they took him to school.

It's even mentioned in the book Deckard had no problem retiring early model skinjobs as they were basically machines covered in latex and only had half the intelligence and personality the latter models had. It was when they started becoming more bio-organic and were able to have individual personalities that the job started to get to Deckard. They were too human like and simply wanted to exist in a self aware state. So when they look and act like people and you put a gun to their head while they're begging for their artificial life it eventually starts to get to you. So that's when Deckard's alcoholism also started. It's also where 'Blade Runner' comes from, the word. It's actually slang and not an official designation. Deckard is technically Rep-Detect or a Replicant Detection Agent. Because these agents start to suffer mental breakdowns from their work it is said they are always running on the edge of a blade, hence Blade Runner.

Last edited:
Spot on. I really liked that trailer, parts of it seemed more in line with the original novel ie global catastrophe, depopulation, wastelands, and an ecological collapse than the first film. I had my worries about this, but now......... not so much. I still remember when the original came out how Ridley and the film got so slated by press and public. So many people hated it. Just a few of us seemed to think it was a classic back then. Next to Star Wars ANH it was my most rewatched film when ever it was rerelease on the cinema circuit (prevideo of course).

Because these agents start to suffer mental breakdowns from their work it is said they are always running on the edge of a blade, hence Blade Runner.

Where did that little ret-con nugget come from ? I think we all know Fancher and Ridley took the name from a novel called Blade Runner that was actually about a surgical tools/drug smuggler. Just because they liked the way it sounds.

The trailers suggest we will see more of how the LAPD works which would be cool and there must be more than one Blade Runner/Rep Detect on the books.

Hey guys. Sorry if this comment makes me sound foolish, but what does Dave Bautista's character say in the most recent trailer after "You police"?

Jared is paid to look/act weird/demented and he's earning every single dollar for it:rolleyes:behave What I don't like, so far, is the switch between "exterior shots" and "interior shots"...Exterior is full of smoke/ambiance à la BR 82, while interior is à la Prometheus/Covenant type of look. They should've stick with the 82 look, exterior/interior continuity!!!

Hey guys. Sorry if this comment makes me sound foolish, but what does Dave Bautista's character say in the most recent trailer after "You police"?
Not foolish, I had to listen to it a couple of times as well.

"Planning on taking me in?"

Jared is paid to look/act weird/demented and he's earning every single dollar for it:rolleyes:behave What I don't like, so far, is the switch between "exterior shots" and "interior shots"...Exterior is full of smoke/ambiance à la BR 82, while interior is à la Prometheus/Covenant type of look. They should've stick with the 82 look, exterior/interior continuity!!!
Leto's existential navel-gazing is kinda tiresome.

One of the most poignant aspects of the '82 film was that each character was a tragic product of an oppressive environment consumed by circumstances in different ways.
BR 2049 is not a character study but feels more like your garden-variety action conspiracy film.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BWwNafulapD/

DFJaAB8UwAE8PfA.jpg

DFJZ_CsVoAADwwp.jpg

DFJaCU0UwAEeyjM.jpg

DFJaBOQVYAAYJNR.jpg

Last edited:
Nice weapon, but fails miserably compared to the classic.

Exactly.
Original was a mashup masterpiece of real firearms and touch of the future, so perfect. It's actual function not fully explained
but dwelling in implied mystery.
And Leon of course with the COP .357 looking rather exotic with it's four barrels though a factory stock weapon.

To me, these do not look inspired by any real firearms and therefore breaks the chain with grounding the weapons in reality suitable
to the Blade Runner detective noir aesthetic. But I'm guessing that whole aspect has been tossed.
IF they wanted to show advancement they could have done mashups of polymyer Glocks, Sigs, HKs, etc and added the future noir to it. But c'est la vie.

You are right. Its way too clean and dirt free in the interior shots.

Also, Dennis Villeneuve seems to shoot on digital video and not Film reel, they failed to use 35mm film or even 65mm llike Tarantino or Nolan. Heck, even Jar Jar Abrams used 35mm on Star Wars. It would make a huge difference to have it shot on film stock.

It seems like they have lit everything with full brightness and sharpness.

Right now, it looks way too clean, pristine and just too bright for my liking.
Maybe seeing the movie in the dark might make a difference.

The sets do look very nice.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back