Blade Runner 2049

ghostryder

Legendary Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Alcon Entertainment Eyes Rights to BLADE RUNNER Prequels and Sequels

bladerunner.gif

re: Blade Runner Sequel

This could be very bad. As much as I like the novels that were sequels i don't see anything good coming out of this.

Wow, I JUST posted how awful a reboot would be in the Robocop reboot thread. This is almost as dumb.

I'll just be smart enough not to see these. There's no way. None.

Sigh. Why not just do a proper rendition of the book? There are pretty big differences.

Yeah it was a huge difference and i know it would still get original Bladerunner fans in the theatres to see it. Actually alot of the props would probably be the same as Dick loved the Spinners and the look of the settings.

I thought the sequel book "Replicant Night" was just awful. As much as I would love to see a well done prequal or sequel......just leave it alone.

Wow, I JUST posted how awful a reboot would be in the Robocop reboot thread. This is almost as dumb.

i actually thought this thread was a "what if" in response to your post.
now i just wish it was.

What ?! Are you guys crazy? No other movie has drawn me in like the world of Blade Runner. Not even Star Wars.
Sure its a risk. They might make the worst movie ever and miss the entire point altogether ..... but ...... the potential to see those wet rainy streets at night and hear Vangelis and see flying cars and have further philosophical views of what it is to be human ....... its worth the risk that they might get it right.

I loved "Moon" from Duncan Jones. "Source Code" looks pretty good. His next is supposedly a Blade Runner tribute featuring Sam Rockwell.
Any chance to enter a Blade Runner-like universe I will accept!

Give me all the Blade Runner style I can get!!!!!

"Soldier" showed that you could make a movie in the BR setting (kinda-sorta) and have it be pretty decent, without it being a literal prequel or sequel. I'd be fine with more of that.

Same 'verse is fine. I thought that was floated a long time ago.

Even a proper DODOES adaption I can understand.
I am greatly enjoying the comic adaption, I had not read the book in years so it's been great f un.

If they try to make something that is supposed to butt up against BR proper it can end in nothing but disaster. They are in way over their heads, there is no reason to expect present day Hollywood to be capable fo something as daunting as that.

Why not make other PKD based films?????
They could make a whole PKD 'verse container for all kinds of stories, not just PKDs.

Oh well.

Making a prequel should be an offense meriting severe punishment... something gruesome like being sat on by a fat sweaty geek until the filmmaker suffocates.

Making a sequel... I'm not 100% decided on that one yet. That's more of a gamble. If you make a decent sequel then you just get off with community service. But if you make a franchise ruining sequel in the vein of Schumacher, back to being fatty's seat cushion during a marathon viewing of your horrible movie.

I agree with Rodney believe it or not. I don't worry that it could be so bad that it will ruin my love of the original. Usually it takes 3 prequels to do that. ;). I really want more of the universe created by Blade Runner. I sat through the entire run of Total Recall 2070 for that reason. It was only a placebo for my addiction. It actually made me want even more.

Still knowing that Bud Yorkin is involved does scare me a little. In all the interviews I saw of him, he seemed to not really get what I like so much about the movie, and even seems to hate it. He stated more than once he wanted to take the movie over and direct it himself. I just hope they don't "Hollywoodize" it too much.

Andy

Making a prequel should be an offense meriting severe punishment... something gruesome like being sat on by a fat sweaty geek until the filmmaker suffocates.

Making a sequel... I'm not 100% decided on that one yet. That's more of a gamble. If you make a decent sequel then you just get off with community service. But if you make a franchise ruining sequel in the vein of Schumacher, back to being fatty's seat cushion during a marathon viewing of your horrible movie.

Eloquently put! :thumbsup

There was discussion on this early last year, and I called the reboot/franchise idea back in November, Cayman. I was teasing, but I wasn't joking - it seemed like a more than plausible idea in a Hollywood that's been so bankrupt for so long. So I said:

How long before we have to say things like "no, I meant the Harrison Ford Blade Runner, not the Shia LaBoeuf Blade Runner"?

which provoked reactions like:

Dear god, Nwerke. You've just ruined my whole day with that thought.

and:

aaaaaaaaaaaarggggg!!!!!!!! delete image!! delete image!!!! nooooooooo!!!!!

Heheh.

If it goes ahead, I'd give it a strong chance of ending up being a reboot in all but name. They'll find some way to work LaBouef - or Gyllenhaal or whoever, a box-office-darling-du-jour young enough to have franchise potential - into it.

Ha ha. How about an Aussie Deckard? Sam W. would be great. I can virtually see the pitch meeting now. Or Karl Urban? "I was quut when I walked in here, I'm twice as quut now"...

Better get used to the idea. It might be a matter of when, not if...

Last edited:

More is not better.

You folks want more? Rewatch the original, then watch the workprint, then the international version, then the US version, then the Final Cut, etc., etc., etc.

Honestly. When are people gonna learn?

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back