Blade Runner 2049

Aesthetics do change in 3 decades. What was hot in 2019 most surely wouldn't be in 2049. Same as what was cool or cutting edge in firearms in 1982 are now laughable by 2017 standards or just simply out of favor.

Well that's why I think why didnt they do a mashup of some modern weapons to keep in that spirit if they felt compelled to update.
But Blade Runner is supposed to invoke old school detective era too, it's supposed to be somewhat retro, even in 82 they were going
for a 1940s funk, look at Rachel's hair and shoulder pads.

Revolver designs in 82 I can still buy today. and a 1911 never goes out of style.

Hell look at how people crave a Colt Python still today.

My cop buddy, though long off the streets now... .carries a 1911.

Sweet recreation of K's blaster by 'candykiller' from reddit based on the limited reference from the trailer before the SDCC display:

He couldn't see the handle, so he just used the one from Dekard's. Dare I say, I like it better than the actual prop, though still inferior to Dekard's original blaster as a whole.

I wish they rounded out some of these details a bit for a more classic design.

I actually quite like the grip on the new blaster. Carbon fibre lends an automotive aesthetic that will probably date as well as the amber.

Oh sure, classics will always be classics and just as you can still buy an 1873 Colt you can also buy a Sig 320 with a holographic sight. I'm sure the world of Blade Runner is a large and varied one. Maybe Detective K just favors the new style over the old.

Yes, departments change weapons over 30 years. Absolutely. Everybody expected that there would be new blasters. I was expecting Deckard to have something different. I didn't think we'd be seeing the old orange grips at the very least. Happily surprised to see he has the old gun.

I wanted new hardware. I welcome new hardware for the new characters.

I just don't like the new hardware.

Aesthetics do change in 3 decades. What was hot in 2019 most surely wouldn't be in 2049. Same as what was cool or cutting edge in firearms in 1982 are now laughable by 2017 standards or just simply out of favor.

Glock came out in 1982. Are Glocks "laughable"? The Gen 4 models are relatively the same aesthetic as the original.

Every cop I know is still carrying the same piece they always have whether it be the 106yr old design of the 1911 or the 35yr old design of the Glock, etc.

The industry of firearms design moves pretty slowly compared to other tech. Automobiles for example. But I totally get what your saying.

Look at DeVil's 1911 mods from the late 70's, early 80's or what IPSC shooters were shooting then compared to today. All I'm saying is that what was in vogue or what was considered cutting edge back then is almost completely out of favor today. Every generation has it's fad.

The only difference between 80's IPSC race guns and todays race guns is that red dot sights are smaller now. Personally, I like the old ones better! They're still shooting 1911's with shrouds and comepnsators in the open division, and stock guns in the stock divisions. ;)

You're wrong. Firearm design is one thing that hardly changes over time. Maybe it's because aesthetics take a back seat to function of the firearm. The shape of a grip is dictated by ergonomics or the shape of magazines. Within the limits of function there is a scarce degree of aesthetic freedom.

This is why the grips on Luv's blaster have more in common with an anime gun than a plausible future firearm to my eye.

This is also why the original BR gun was so memorable to gun lovers - because looks like it evolved plausibly from existing designs.

This is a 1940's Browning Hi-Power from WW2

IMG_8479.JPG

This is the Browning Hi-Power I purchased BRAND NEW in 1987

LBE6Gnv.jpg

In fact those are aftermarket grips on the gun. The ones that came with it are identical to the one above it which was identical to the commercial Browning grips from 1935.

(More importantly this is an excuse for me to post a pic of my pistol. LOL.)

Last edited:
Firearm design hardy changes over time. Yeah sure. That's why an 1851 Navy revolver looks exactly like a Sig. There are thousands of firearm designs spanning what 200 years?

If the technology behind 2049 firearms are based on electronics and computers designs might change at a faster pace than traditional firearms do.

Firearm design hardy changes over time. Yeah sure. That's why an 1851 Navy revolver looks exactly like a Sig. There are thousands of firearm designs spanning what 200 years?
Haha. Point taken.

I'm not trying to persuade you or anyone else to agree with me. I'm just explaining why I, personally, don't like it.

Whereas the weapon slide/upper may follow the action/mechanism the grip itself is a different matter and that's where I have a problem with Luv's gun.

Grip design is informed by ergonomics and/or the need to accommodate a magazine. The sig grip is different because it takes a magazine.

Luv's gun has a grip screw in a place that suggests that it's not a magazine fed gun. Without a magazine only ergonomics would dictate the grip shape and I would expect it to resemble a kind of revolver grip. In a lot of anime type gun designs they take a pure aesthetic approach and create something that looks like a hybrid grip - basically something like an autoloader grip that's so excessively sculpted and contoured that it couldn't possibly accept a magazine. Luv's gun isn't as excessive as, say, the Japanese Seburo resin guns but it does have more in common with those style anime guns which are all about aesthetics over logic. Luv's gun looks just like an anime space gun to me.

Similarly the lack of stippling or checkering on the grips also make it look more like a toy than a real gun. Why wouldn't a gun have stippling/checkering?

On the other hand, at least K's gun has plausible grips.

To take your example compare the grips of the 1851 Navy to a modern revolver, say a (my) S&W TRR8.

YAL44_b-25.jpg

vJljIyX.jpg

Your initial point was about the evolution of aesthetics. Grips evolved, not for aesthetic reasons, but for improved ergonomics and function. If anything Luv's gun looks like a big step backwards with ergonomics.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back