Blade Runner 2049

re: Blade Runner Sequel

Andy, while that is all very reasonable and I for sure back you 100%...you are asking for waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much. :(

^ ha ha ha...

So they want Scott to direct. Well, that may show some sign of integrity on their part - though even mercenary brand-name exploiters would have sense enough to want Scott's name emblazoned across their franchise - but even if their hearts are in precisely the right place, I still think it's a mistake, for the reasons Solo mentioned.

And here's another one: any sequel should've been made back in the 80s if it was ever gonna stand a chance of maintaining the vibe of the first one. And it's that vibe that is of interest to us, right? The whole vocabulary of film-making has changed since then - for the worse - and all Scott's recent work bears the unfortunate scars of that change. It would take a miracle for him to recover his '82 style and quality overnight. There's no turning back the clock; it's like when people hoped that if only the Beatles or Pink Floyd reformed there'd be a new White Album or Dark Side of the Moon to buy. There wouldn't've been. Like when people hoped there'd be a new SW when Lucas announced the Phantom Menace. There wasn't. Late Floyd albums, late SW films, late Deep Purple albums, late Alien films, late Bowie albums, late Jurassic Park films, late Indiana Jones films etc. etc. are all pitiful squeaking dwarves compared to their illustrious forbears. It's an endlessly repeating pattern across pop culture. Honestly, it'll be a holy sainted miracle if a 30-year-late Blade Runner movie made by a woefully out-of-form Scott, prompted by franchise-motivated suits turns out to be anything more than another pitiful squeaking dwarf.

What I posted over at propsummit....

I share a lot of the fears and cynicism of the posters here, but I still want so much to have hope. Maybe if they actually listen to some of us, it may actually come out somewhat good.

Andy

Andy, if they could satisfy the requirements on your list, I'd lighten up a bit. But I just think it will be beyond them...

Probably, but if we just sit back and give up on it, expecting the worse, that is exactly what we will get. If enough of us speak out, and I am sure someone in the company is paid to research the feedback online, and then maybe they will try to please us. It is after all in their best interest to do so.

For all the crappy Hollywood quick money sequel movies we get, we still get the occasional Batman Begins (and Dark Knight Returns). I would even say that Tron Legacy didn't disappoint, at least as far as having an intelligent story well above the Hollywood usual. I am sure it will end up feeling overly manufactured, but at least I think they will do their homework on this movie, and realize what is expected of them. And, if a few of the people working on the film have some real inspiration while working on it, it could end up being pretty good. That will all depend on who they hire, and I hate to say it, but I would rather a young director rather than Ridley. He has grown and moved on pretty far away from what BR is about now. I want someone with fresh eyes, but still a love for the material. Of course maybe now that he is getting back into doing Science Fiction, he might find his creative spark again.

Andy

Hang on a sec.

Probably, but if we just sit back and give up on it, expecting the worse, that is exactly what we will get. If enough of us speak out, and I am sure someone in the company is paid to research the feedback online, and then maybe they will try to please us. It is after all in their best interest to do so.

It's not. Not really, anyway. You'll go see this movie regardless. They know it, you know it. I mean, they'll manage their PUBLICITY effectively enough, by saying the right kinds of things to get you into the theater, but once you're there, they don't care if you like it or not. They just want your ticket price. After that, you can go pound sand.

I also don't believe that "If the fans don't speak up, we won't get anything!" If no movie is made, it won't be because the old-school fans of what is admittedly a cult film (held in high regard, but still a cult film) didn't support the venture enough. No, it'll be something like "We didn't think the NEW audience would be there sufficiently to launch a franchise." Or, "We couldn't find the right director/leads, etc." Not, "Well, the fans were pissy, so we threw in the towel."

I really think you're giving into wishful thinking here. I get that you love the original, but have we not been to this dance enough times already? How many remakes have you seen in recent years that were as good as the original, rather than just a sort of "Huh. Well, that was...ok...I guess..." mediocre film? How many reboots have done a GOOD job with the franchise? (I count two: Bond and Batman.) How many branded films have been worth a crap? How many sequels and prequels -- especially 20+ years on -- have been worth a crap? Do the math, man. The odds are HEAVILY stacked against it.

You want my advice? (Well, you didn't ask for it, but I'm giving it anyway, since this is teh intarwebz and all.) You're going about this the wrong way. If you want to enjoy the film, better to go in with LOW expectations and NO hope. If the film fails to satisfy, you're prepared for it. If the film rises above the merely mediocre, you'll be pleased. But if you give in to your wild fantasies about how COOL more stories in the universe could be, or start thinking that OMG! They might get it RIGHT!!! Well, chances are -- certainly based on past experiences -- that you will end up sorely disappointed. Frankly, I think it's the hardest of the hardcore fans, the ones who say "I've been waiting for umpteen years for this film!" who stand to lose the MOST.

As a separate issue, just remember -- every time you see movies like this, every time you slap down cash for a ticket, you're telling Hollywood "Keep up the good work!" Related to that, remember that every dollar spent on one of THESE movies is a dollar NOT spent on a brand NEW experience.

Last edited:

Anyway, I have waited 25+ years for a sequel or spin off. It is true that my anticipation has been toned down by too many "Hollywood" let downs, but this movie has been my true love for almost all of that time, it would take a lot to make me lose that love. In many ways it has been like Strange days, playing back old memories of a lost love that I just want to spend some real time with again, even if they have changed. Of course that analogy doesn't bode well :) Still I need to see it played out regardless.

Andy

I can understand that... just remember, sometimes you get what you wish for and it's not quite what you were hoping it'd be :p That's exactly how I felt about the Star Wars prequels back in the day. Man, do I regret that now - not that I ever had any say in the matter of course. It was bound to happen whether I wanted it to or not. ;) But to each his own, y'know?

I sort of feel the same about the Rocketeer. I really love the movie and would have loved to have seen a sequel but in my opinion, it's far too late now that it's been a couple of decades. Besides, it apparently was one of Jennifer Connelly's least favorite projects ever so she probably wouldn't have been a part of any sequels even if the movie had done well enough to merit it anyway. That would have sucked.

I could see a sequel being made as long as it's made by the original cast within a couple of years of the original. Tron Legacy sort of worked as a revival sequel... just by the skin of its teeth at best though... and it could have been much better. Blade Runner just seems like you'd wind up with some kind of Attack of the Clones style blow-em-up-real-good sequel and that seems it'd just suck to me. Maybe there's some other option I haven't considered though.

Just to be clear -- I will not deny that compelling, interesting stories in the same universe could be done. I just don't trust Hollywood to do them. I actually think you'd have better luck going with an hour-long drama on, say, the BBC or one of the pay cable stations here (Starz, HBO, Showtime, etc.). I'd be FAR more inclined to trust any of those outlets to (A) respect the source material, (B) maintain the general "feel" of the environment created by the film, and (C) find top-notch actors (not necessarily "box office draws") and solid writers to create engrossing stories.

The potential for good stories in the same universe is absolutely there, which is what makes a sequel/prequel or even a remake so seductive. It's the "But it could be SO COOL!" element that sucks in the longtime fans who see such potential.

Like I said, I just don't trust HOLLYWOOD to do that. Other outlets? Sure. But not Hollywood. Not these days.

What can we expect from the new Blade Runner movie? We asked the producers
What can we expect from the new Blade Runner movie? We asked the producers

Few bits from the interview

Have you reached out to Ridley Scott?

Kosove: The answer to that question is as follows. I'm going to answer it very briefly — we won't say if we've reached out to Ridley Scott or not, but what we will say is that Ridley Scott's blessing to what we're doing is very important to Alcon. It's important to Bud [Yorkin], and certainly we have the greatest degree of respect to him as a filmmaker. He's one of the greatest living directors and one of the greatest directors of all time. So of course he's very important.

When we posted the news, reactions were split right down the middle. Some fans felt this could be good, because we have to we have the technology to make this really fascinating. And then there were a lot of people worried that Hollywood was going to ruin the legacy of Blade Runner. Can you address those fans' concerns?

Kosove: I would really appreciate it if you guys could clarify something: Alcon is not owned by Warner Bros. None of this is being paid by WB. We are a wholly independent financial and production company. Our relationship with Warner, which is very strong, runs back to the earliest years of our company. They're the distributor on all of our movies. First of all, we're paying for everything, but second of all — and this a way of answering maybe partially the concerns of your fans — this may work, or it may not work. We may make this movie, but in truth it may never get made.

But what I can tell you for certain today is that we will not go about this process in some form of large group think where 15 executives are going to sit around a table micromanaging the creative talent. Broderick and I will meet with writers and directors and we will figure out what direction we want to go and what story we believe in.

And then they will have the artistic autonomy to go out and make a great movie. I think whatever success we've had at Alcon, whether it was helping Chris Nolan's career with Insomnia, or working with the Hughes Brothers on Book of Eli or Jonathan Hancock with Blind Side — that philosophy of believing in filmmakers, giving them some parameters and then letting them do their jobs, has served us very very well. And it's how we'll approach this process. I don't know how better to answer the question than that.

Do you have any pie in the sky writers or directors that in a perfect world would sign on tomorrow?

Kosove: Pie in the sky? Yeah our friend Chris Nolan who we did Insomnia [with] would be in the pie in the sky for us.

That's good to hear. That means you're going for the gritty realism that was in the original.

Kosove: To be clear I think what Chris Nolan did — and to be clear, we cannot remake Blade Runner. As a legal matter, we have not bought the remake rights we have no interest in remaking it we can only do prequels or sequels. But I think the methodology that Chris Nolan brought to Batman is precisely what we aspire to whomever the filmmaker is, whether Ridley comes back and joins us or it's someone else. It's precisely what we aspire to with Blade Runner, that's the template for us.

Ye gods !!

What next ?

Dekard Bobbleheads ????????

:thumbsdown :thumbsdown :thumbsdown :thumbsdown :thumbsdown

The quoted bits from the interview should tell you everything you need to know. They say "We aren't suits sitting around engaged in groupthink." Oh, ok. I guess you need a bigger group, then, because from the sound of it, the goal here is "Make money off of the window dressing and brand name." Now, does that necessarily exclude the crafting of a solid tale to accompany it? No, of course not. But it doesn't really matter that they're a "small independent studio" or if they were a huge megastudio like WB. Their goal is to make money, not make art. Sometimes the two happily coincide, but let's not fool ourselves into believing that producers are willing to take a loss on something for the sake of artistic integrity, nor should we lose sight that goal #1 is to make bank. Period.

While it's great that these guys allow filmmakers to do their thing within reason, I'm sorry, but I just don't have a lot of faith in the Hollywood system as a whole to actually pull off something I'd really want to see.

More than that, if these guys are so big on artistic integrity and whatnot....why are they optioning the prequel/sequel rights to a 30-year old movie? Why not bankroll some brilliant auteur's vision and build something new and interesting? I'll tell you why:

Branding sells films, and these guys want to make bank.

I'll be delighted if they prove me wrong, but I won't be surprised if I'm right.

Kosove: To be clear I think what Chris Nolan did — and to be clear, we cannot remake Blade Runner. As a legal matter, we have not bought the remake rights we have no interest in remaking it we can only do prequels or sequels. But I think the methodology that Chris Nolan brought to Batman is precisely what we aspire to whomever the filmmaker is, whether Ridley comes back and joins us or it's someone else. It's precisely what we aspire to with Blade Runner, that's the template for us.

Well that's the answer to protecting our favorite films! They need to put a price tag too heavy or relinquish any rights to remake a film for whoever owns them originally! This reboot stuff is driving me nuts!

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back