Blade Runner 2049

re: Blade Runner Sequel

Doesn't matter if we want more, Solo. I devoutly don't, and will be joining Cayman in doing something else on opening day as pointedly as I can arrange. :p

Won't stop Hollywood from inflicting it on us anyway.

More is not better.

You folks want more? Rewatch the original, then watch the workprint, then the international version, then the US version, then the Final Cut, etc., etc., etc.

Honestly. When are people gonna learn?

Amen to that...

They should just film more Dick novels. Tons of 'em are set in the BR type universe. You got your flying cars and filthy rainy future cities in so many of his books. But - and especially with Yorkin involved - they probably don't want to do another 'concept' movie, that is, introduce the audience to another mindblowing Phil Dick concept. They probably wanna take it real easy and do bounty-hunter-after-replicants again, and this time more easier for decent ordinary folk to unnerstan' an' with more action with some 'splosions, yeah? cos there was no friggin' 'splosions in Blade Runner, was there? you know? when you really think about it.

I think a sequel would be awesome. I mean these are the perfect times to do sequels.

The perfect conditions are there for an excellent sequel!!

20 years later.............Harrison Ford reprising the role................. oh wait...............................................NEVER MIND!!! :confused

I just dont understand hating something when its just an idea. There isnt a script yet. No one has been cast. There is no teaser. You have no idea if it will be good or not.

Terminator 2 is a great sequel.
How about X-Men 2?
or Superman 2?
Aliens is great and its a sequel of a Ridley Scott movie made by someone else.

Sure you can point out Caddyshack 2 and many more. And yes there are probably a lot more bad sequels than there are good ones. But if you are going to talk trash about all sequels, then dont ever watch The Wrath of Khan, Spiderman 2, or The Empire Strikes Back.

Well, I'm heartened to see as many folks here respond with anything from "WTF? Seriously?" to "DO NOT WAAAAAAAAANT" or its equivalent. But recognize that Hollywood operates this way now. It's ALL about branding and the more people just say "Eh, give it a chance" or fall for mere branding, the less Hollywood will bother to try to make good original films.

Ask yourself how cool you thought Inception was, and then recognize that it was one of probably something like three sci-fi/action films to come out in the past few years that was a major release which WASN'T a comic book adaptation, licensed property, sequel, prequel, remake, or reboot. Every time people fall for branding, Hollywood diverts more money towards those "me too!" movies. Every dollar they divert towards that is a dollar NOT going to something cool and new that you HAVEN'T tried and DON'T already know about. Something like Inception. And I'm not saying Inception is the be-all/end-all of new films, but it is a DAMNSIGHT better than the crap Hollywood has been feeding the public for the last 12 years or so.

Well, I'm heartened to see as many folks here respond with anything from "WTF? Seriously?" to "DO NOT WAAAAAAAAANT" or its equivalent. But recognize that Hollywood operates this way now. It's ALL about branding and the more people just say "Eh, give it a chance" or fall for mere branding, the less Hollywood will bother to try to make good original films.

Ask yourself how cool you thought Inception was, and then recognize that it was one of probably something like three sci-fi/action films to come out in the past few years that was a major release which WASN'T a comic book adaptation, licensed property, sequel, prequel, remake, or reboot. Every time people fall for branding, Hollywood diverts more money towards those "me too!" movies. Every dollar they divert towards that is a dollar NOT going to something cool and new that you HAVEN'T tried and DON'T already know about. Something like Inception. And I'm not saying Inception is the be-all/end-all of new films, but it is a DAMNSIGHT better than the crap Hollywood has been feeding the public for the last 12 years or so.

What if Nolan makes a sequel to Inception?

The fact that these guys who've bought the rights are using words like 'franchise' and 'platforms' indicates their interest is money and money only. They went shopping for a brand and acquired a peach. They want to sell movie after movie after game after game of some top brand and BR was available. That's almost certainly what this is about. Their talk of respect for the original film sounds like empty hogwash, a fig leaf of decency which they know they have to wear in front of BR fans.

I just dont understand hating something when its just an idea. There isnt a script yet. No one has been cast. There is no teaser. You have no idea if it will be good or not.

How about X-Men 2?
or Superman 2?

Sure you can point out Caddyshack 2 and many more. And yes there are probably a lot more bad sequels than there are good ones. But if you are going to talk trash about all sequels, then dont ever watch The Wrath of Khan, Spiderman 2, or The Empire Strikes Back.

I just have no faith in hollywood currently to do anything worth my time anymore. Things seemed to have been different in previous decades. At least some people wanted to create something special rather than just pump out complete garbage to make a buck.

How about X-Men 2?
or Superman 2?

Good sequels are almost always the brainchild of the original creator. Not gonna be the case here. No original creator here, just leeches and maggots sucking on his work.

Inception - Haven't seen it........don't want to see it.............. not gonna see it ................................ therefore not cool!

There seems to be a lot of strong opinions here, but isn't it the strong opinions of the Hollywood money, that keeps new ideas from being made? I will try to keep an open mind about it.

I used to look forward to sequals, and in some cases the sequals were better than the originals. Mad Max and The Road Warrior for example. The Star Trek movies didn't take away from anything before it in my opinion, even when they weren't great. Also even though the original creator directed the Star Wars prequels, it seemed to be an even bigger let down as a result, at least to me. Though part of my issue with that franchise is the over saturation of it. And, that may be my biggest worry here, is not that the movie will suck and fail, but instead will become popular.

Still I look forward to the merchandise that will come from a sequel, that will tie in with the original movie. I can only hope they actually try to do something interesting and at least try for some originality to it. As long as they don't try to make a Blockbuster out of it, good or bad, it won't overwhelm the connection I have with the original. Being an R rated film, the subsequent merchandise will potentially not be a bunch of action figures, but instead higher end stuff.

The only thing that would absolutely tee me off would be a remake. It sounds like that isn't happening at least. As far as making a faithful adaptation of the novel. I have read the novel several times, and it is nearly unfilmable. I love the book very much, and am sure that if a faithful movie was made of it, it would have to almost be done as a dark comedy, because the stuff in the book is so bizarre, and pretty much unrealistic. If the general population had issues understanding Blade Runner's plot, they would never come close to appreciating Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep. Maybe as a super low budget B&W art film perhaps ;) (i.e. Pi, Eraserhead, Alphaville)

Anyway, I have waited 25+ years for a sequel or spin off. It is true that my anticipation has been toned down by too many "Hollywood" let downs, but this movie has been my true love for almost all of that time, it would take a lot to make me lose that love. In many ways it has been like Strange days, playing back old memories of a lost love that I just want to spend some real time with again, even if they have changed. Of course that analogy doesn't bode well :) Still I need to see it played out regardless.

Andy

I cannot stand DeCrapio to such an extent I cannot watch anything he is in. Hopefully he never shows up in something important to me.

Actually, Inception was literally the FIRST film I saw him in where I didn't think "Ugh. It's 'Leo' again. Meh." Every other movie he's been in he just seemed to be playing "Let's pretend." This one he actually seemed to BE his character and I wasn't paying attention to the "leoness" of him. Aside from that, it's a very cool concept and solid execution.

For those saying "What if they made a sequel?" I'd be dubious. Even if it's Nolan.

There seems to be a lot of strong opinions here, but isn't it the strong opinions of the Hollywood money, that keeps new ideas from being made? I will try to keep an open mind about it.

I used to look forward to sequals, and in some cases the sequals were better than the originals. Mad Max and The Road Warrior for example. The Star Trek movies didn't take away from anything before it in my opinion, even when they weren't great. Also even though the original creator directed the Star Wars prequels, it seemed to be an even bigger let down as a result, at least to me. Though part of my issue with that franchise is the over saturation of it. And, that may be my biggest worry here, is not that the movie will suck and fail, but instead will become popular.

I don't mind the popularity. What I mind is the dilution of what made the original worthwhile. Plus, sometimes, the more that gets explained and told about a film's universe, the less room to imagine there is. Often, the possibilities we dream of are cooler than what someone else ultimately decides to make into a film.

At this point, I subscribe to the notion "Always leave your audience wanting more." The unspoken corollary to that being "Don't GIVE them more and make them wish they'd had less." And sadly, in my experience, THAT is what has happened more often than not in films made this past decade or so.

Still I look forward to the merchandise that will come from a sequel, that will tie in with the original movie. I can only hope they actually try to do something interesting and at least try for some originality to it. As long as they don't try to make a Blockbuster out of it, good or bad, it won't overwhelm the connection I have with the original. Being an R rated film, the subsequent merchandise will potentially not be a bunch of action figures, but instead higher end stuff.

The only thing that would absolutely tee me off would be a remake. It sounds like that isn't happening at least. As far as making a faithful adaptation of the novel. I have read the novel several times, and it is nearly unfilmable. I love the book very much, and am sure that if a faithful movie was made of it, it would have to almost be done as a dark comedy, because the stuff in the book is so bizarre, and pretty much unrealistic. If the general population had issues understanding Blade Runner's plot, they would never come close to appreciating Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep. Maybe as a super low budget B&W art film perhaps ;) (i.e. Pi, Eraserhead, Alphaville)

Anyway, I have waited 25+ years for a sequel or spin off. It is true that my anticipation has been toned down by too many "Hollywood" let downs, but this movie has been my true love for almost all of that time, it would take a lot to make me lose that love. In many ways it has been like Strange days, playing back old memories of a lost love that I just want to spend some real time with again, even if they have changed. Of course that analogy doesn't bode well :) Still I need to see it played out regardless.

Andy

I dunno, man. I think that way lies madness. I'm not saying it's impossible. Certainly, as some have pointed out, sequels CAN be good. Sometimes better than the original. But most of the time? They're weaker retreads that try to go "bigger" instead of "better." Or confuse the two as somehow synonymous. Plus, as Colin mentioned, I REALLY doubt that the people who do these "remakes" and "reboots" and sequels and prequels and stuff give a fart in a tin cup whether they're "true to the spirit of the original." I think even if they say they "respect" the original, it's more in the sense of "Yeah, that was pretty cool. But now we're gonna make a PILE of cash!!! YEEEEEAAH!!!! BOOOOYAH BABY!!!!"

What I posted over at propsummit....
One of the ways I remember thinking about Blade Runner when it first came out was described by the intro to the Naked City, "There are 8 million stories in the naked city". The main story in Blade Runner was this relatively small story that crossed paths with other bigger stories (like Tyrell), and had a setting that just let you know there is so much more to explore in this dark, sultry, and even mystical place.

Every extra that crossed the screen seemed to have an interesting story of their own, and they all seemed interconnected by larger epic event that had unfolded before, and is happening behind the scenes in the movie itself. I like the idea that any new films just tell some of those stories, not as a prequel or sequel, but as a "sidequel". Something set in the same world that may also hint further about the larger unknown stories in the first film. Something that will give us more to talk about for the next 25 years perhaps.

The other things I ask of the makers of any new film are...
1-That the movie be intelligent, if you want to tap into the market of Blade Runner fans, I am willing to bet that they are all above average in intelligence, you have to appeal to them if you don't want to kill a "Franchise" before it becomes one.
2-That you don't make a roller coaster ride action film. Blade Runner may be called boring by some, but what makes so many people love it is that you can spend some time fully engulfed in that world.
3-That that world be realistic, and not glamorous. Some glamour as seen in Tyrell's office will be okay in contrast, but if every main character has unwrinkled clean clothes, and perfect skin and hair, I won't fall for the illusion, and it will look fake. I also relate better to actors that are a little odd looking than perfect and overly made up. It is this movies attention to that realism, that has kept it repeatedly watchable for so long.
4-That they hire some new and unrecognized talent. Nothing kills a movie more for me than having some "Star" that is constantly in the news and in other movies, and all ready overexposed. Unless they are an actor in the realm of the very best of the best, I won't be able to believe their character. Except for Harrison Ford, the rest of the actors in the first film were not stars yet, at least not in the US, or they were veteran character actors. Harrison was also just becoming a star at that time, and even though he may have been the biggest of the time, his star power did not make the movie a success.
5-They try to come up with some ideas that have not become cliche's. The original movie blew us away because it did so many things different from any other film before. Things that now have almost become convention themselves. And, I am not talking special effects, because all the special effects in that movie were done before in Close Encounters of the 3rd Kind. It was the music, the places, and over all the atmosphere. The movie works so well because it transported us to a new place and time that was exotic and still fully real.

The movie I first saw back in 1982-3, is still transporting me to this world. Because of it I have gone places in my own mind that I have never seen on film ever, and if any new film comes out and does not take me to places nearly as interesting as the ones in my own imagination, I will probably be sorely disappointed in it. If you want to use any of those notebooks full of places I have been in my brain you can contact me here, and we can work out a deal ;)

Andy

I share a lot of the fears and cynicism of the posters here, but I still want so much to have hope. Maybe if they actually listen to some of us, it may actually come out somewhat good.

Andy

Last edited:
This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back