Movies you hate that everyone else likes

E4BF4CE6-2ACF-4496-9C19-4F4A18EDE88F_zpsfj1ywuli.jpg

Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home...

The humor is "OK" but the late 80's production values of the movie have "aged" it the worst of the TOS movies, complete with the most bottom of the barrel of all the soundtracks (it sounds like a bad 80's "cop movie" soundtrack with mediocre lounge jazz mixed in with the left-over bits, put together by the music editor, of some random children's movie).

Guest star Catherine Hicks' acting is beyond terrible.

For fun, count the number of perms and mullets in the background scenes on a lazy Sunday...

Even Star Trek V (the "embarrassing uncle" of all Trek flicks) gets pulled out of its slip case more than this "Trek Lite" schlock.

"Well, uh....a double dumb ass on you!"

Last edited:
Unbreakable. It seems like material for a good Twilight Zone episode but I expect more from a whole movie.
Thats probably one of the best comic book movies ever made. Such a good movie.

In the horror genre, I watched "It Follows" and "The Witch" the other day. My god. Can just any shlub give reviews anywhere on line now? Cause both of them had high rotten tomato reviews, one was hailed at sundance as being super good, and even Buzzfeed listed them both as top horror movies of the last decade. They were both AWFUL. The Witch was a chore to sit through, Im surprised I didnt turn it off, and It follows didnt even follow its own in universe rules, and was asinine. I hated that I paid money for one. If the witch comes out on netflix soon Im going to be pissed.

Thats probably one of the best comic book movies ever made. Such a good movie.

In the horror genre, I watched "It Follows" and "The Witch" the other day. My god. Can just any shlub give reviews anywhere on line now? Cause both of them had high rotten tomato reviews, one was hailed at sundance as being super good, and even Buzzfeed listed them both as top horror movies of the last decade. They were both AWFUL. The Witch was a chore to sit through, Im surprised I didnt turn it off, and It follows didnt even follow its own in universe rules, and was asinine. I hated that I paid money for one. If the witch comes out on netflix soon Im going to be pissed.
Of the two I saw It Follows and I would agree that it's overrated. Conceptually it's an interesting premise which leads to some novel opportunities for suspense but that's about it. The most annoying aspect is that the characters, as with many horror films, don't have common sense to figure out simple things to protect themselves or they conveniently leave themselves vulnerable when any normal person would know better. Folks I trust say "The Witch" is bad so I didn't watch it.

Of the two I saw It Follows and I would agree that it's overrated. Conceptually it's an interesting premise which leads to some novel opportunities for suspense but that's about it. The most annoying aspect is that the characters, as with many horror films, don't have common sense to figure out simple things to protect themselves or they conveniently leave themselves vulnerable when any normal person would know better. Folks I trust say "The Witch" is bad so I didn't watch it.
Yes, the characters were indeed annoying, but Im not a fan of establishing the in universe rules of something, then completely ignoring them later on. Also, keep trusting those folks cause The Witch was boring, annoying, and the only scare came from a damn jump scare, because I had my rad new surround sound turned way up, I think I jumped cause of the sheer volume. Dont watch that trash man. Dont.

Everything Christopher Nolan has ever done. Heavy emphasis on the Batman movies and Inception. Interstellar was ok until Nolan's trademarked over the top ending. I find his movies to be overhyped, hipster garbage.

Sorry to resurrect a dead one folks. Didn't see the date until after my rant. :)

Now You See Me

- I hate this movie because I actually like magic and wanted to like this movie. But the only real magic trick was a snap change done by Jesse Eisenberg. Apparently it's the only card trick the actor knows because he does it twice in the movie.
- I hate this movie because it's so full of itself that it has to rely on swooping tracking shots and edits to inflate its scale. Someone ought to tell the director/writer/producers that magic on film or video is diminished with every shot that isn't static and with every single cut - and this movie is full of both. A single Penn and Teller act is vastly more rewarding than this entire movie.
- I hate the crowd/audiences that act like a hordes of faceless stooges. Magic audiences don't scream, shout and jump about. Magic acts, by their very nature, don't bring out fanatic hysteria in real people no matter how popular the act is. This isn't a rock concert. And the only time you'll ever get an audience IRL to chant anything in such perfect unison will be the opening cue for "The Wheel of Fortune." The crowds in this movie reminded me exactly of the crowd of worshipers in "The Life of Brian" that wouldn't leave Brian alone.
- I hate that the predictable twist of the film is yet another iteration of "The Sting" - but underscored, highlighted and boldfaced.
- I hate Jesse Eisenberg's character because he's just doing his smarmy "smart-guy" shtick by talking rapidly and acting smug. Real smart people don't talk like that.
- I hate that none of the characters are likeable. The title should be, "Hipsters Can Do Literally Anything" (and They Know It).
- I hate it because my brother-in-law promised it was a great movie and made me watch it. This movie is so incredibly bad it made me hate my brother-in-law.

Last edited:
Now You See Me
- I hate it because my brother-in-law promised it was a great movie and made me watch it. This movie is so incredibly bad it made me hate my brother-in-law.

Had the exact same experience with my niece and her boyfriend, had to sit there and watch it with them, and pretend I thought it was great. Very dumb movie.

Now You See Me..
While I agree with everything you posted, for me the movie's biggest flaw was their reliance on CG effects to show the completely impossible "magic tricks" rather than being more clever and figuring out a way to tell the story using practical/actual magic show tricks. That could have been impressive; instead it's just another CG crapfest.

I don't know about everyone else necessarily "liking" it, but with all of the great press and critical acclaim, I guess it qualifies...

Dunkirk. Maybe I'm so accustomed to a war movie looking and feeling a certain way, that I just couldn't get the "vibe" (and, mind you, I don't actually like war movies). I felt like it was maybe supposed to feel documentary-ish? And it didn't feel like the intertwining of the stories were anything of note (though, it didn't help that I didn't care about the characters themselves).

I almost turned it off after 15 minutes or so (and every 15 minutes thereafter). I sat through it only because a friend loaned it to me with the highest of recommendations. Admittedly, I found the movie so jarring in a "What the hell did I just watch?" sort of way, that I'm not sure if I truly hated it, or actually loved it but just didn't get it (but will on my next viewing(?))

A frustrating film for me.

Last edited:
I don't know about everyone else necessarily "liking" it, but with all of the great press and critical acclaim, I guess it qualifies...

Dunkirk. Maybe I'm so accustomed to a war movie looking and feeling a certain way, that I just couldn't get the "vibe" (and, mind you, I don't actually like war movies). I felt like it was maybe supposed to feel documentary-ish? And it didn't feel like the intertwining of the stories were anything of note (though, it didn't help that I didn't care about the characters themselves).

I almost turned it off after 15 minutes or so (and every 15 minutes thereafter). I sat through it only because a friend loaned it to me with the highest of recommendations. Admittedly, I found the move so jarring in a "What the hell did I just watch?" sort of way, that I'm not sure if I truly hated it, or actually loved it but just didn't get it (but will on my next viewing(?))

A frustrating film for me.

I'm with you - maybe not to the "hate" level, but close. My issues (with a spoiler):
- Who was the main character? What were any of their names? Why should I care if any of them live or die?
- I hated the high-pitched tone that sustained throughout the entire movie. Typically used to add to the tension of a scene - Dunkirk used it for the whole 2 hours.
- The editing. The movie went from night to day to night to day throughout the film. It made the story so disjointed that I gave up trying to piece together the events.
- Random Army dude pushes your kid down some steps and kills him and their response is as if nothing happened??? I'd have thrown his butt off of my boat and told him to swim.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back