Movies you hate that everyone else likes

New additions.

Home Alone. Something about Kevin's family is very fake. They're all annoying (so much that I almost understand why Kevin feels the way he does) and ******* stupid. Morons! 'Pass it to Kevin. Pass it to Kevin! Pass it to Kevin…' or whatever the hell the quote is. People thought this was funny?? Ugh. The only parts I like about the movie are Kevin's interactions with the homeless woman.

Shape of Water
This one was very cliche. It has a solid story but it's not all that original. Everything in it has been done before. I absolutely loathe French songs about romance and whatnot but my main gripe with this movie is how quickly the mute woman fell in love. And the creature. It's not as intelligent as too many people believe it is. She teaches it how to eat an egg, ffs. And it's wowed by the record player. I'm just going to go ahead and say it. It's a bestiality movie. I might even say she raped it. People are using this movie to find real life parallels, saying that it's supposed provoke thoughts on how interracial relationships are still not widely accepted, and how racism and prejudice are part of the reason why - which is true - but it's not about that. It's about a desperate mute woman in her late 20s or early 30s with romantic delusions of grandeur - who copulates with a water creature at her nearest opportunity. Bestiality. It's disgusting. I did not care for the creature. it was just there. As an object for her to admire. Not once did it give a sign of romantic affection for the mute woman. The thing was about as intelligent as a dog is. And then the movie ends the same way a movie I absolutely hate (POTC4) ends. lol
The Force Awakens
Dark Knight trilogy - i'm finally over them
Wonder Woman

Last edited:
Shape of Water. This one was very cliche. It has a solid story but it's not all that original. Everything in it has been done before. I absolutely loathe French songs about romance and whatnot but my main gripe with this movie is how quickly the mute woman fell in love. And the creature. It's not as intelligent as too many people believe it is. She teaches it how to eat an egg, ffs. And it's wowed by the record player. I'm just going to go ahead and say it. IT'S A BEASTIALITY MOVIE. I might even say she raped it. People are using this movie to find real life parallels, saying that it's supposed provoke thoughts on how interracial relationships are still not widely accepted, and how racism and prejudice are part of the reason why - which is true - but it's not about that. It's about a desperate mute woman in her late 20s or early 30s with romantic delusions of grandeur - who copulates with a water creature at her nearest opportunity. Beastiality. It's disgusting. I did not care for the creature. it was just there. As an object for her to admire. Not once did it give a sign of romantic affection for the mute woman. The thing was about as intelligent as a dog is. And then the movie ends the same way a movie I absolutely hate (POTC4) ends. lol

I haven't seen it but what you describe is exactly what I'd expect. It has all the essential elements of a formula feel-good movie that strokes the viewer into a sense of moral superiority. What a load of treacle. The moment I'd hear the French music I'm sure I'd bust out laughing. The fact that it won Best Picture just shows how ridiculous the Oscars are.

If it's about racism I guess the message is that we should appreciate individuals even if their race means they're unintelligent and physically monstrous? :unsure

Last edited:
I haven't seen it but what you describe is exactly what I'd expect. It has all the essential elements of a formula feel-good movie that strokes the viewer into a sense of moral superiority. What a load of treacle. The moment I'd hear the French music I'm sure I'd bust out laughing. The fact that it won Best Picture just shows how ridiculous the Oscars are.

If it's about racism I guess the message is that we should appreciate individuals even if their race means they're unintelligent and physically monstrous? :unsure
I apologize for having spoiled it. I forgot to include spoiler tags damnit.

It's not about racism. I wish I could describe it better for you, but if you do ever watch it, you might take a similar impression to mine. It's not as bad as you may think it is. I just don't like it because it's not something I haven't seen before. It's really a very simple romance movie that's elevated to being something more than it is. Some viewers elevate it to being a movie that highlights issues that are still prominent in this day and age. Sexism, homophobia, racism. The movie is set in the early 60s and some of the characters in it do exhibit the prejudice of the time period. We know that such prejudice existed but despite that, it is not exaggerated in this movie. Some viewers could have felt moral superiority – maybe I did too in thinking it's a nasty bestiality movie. That prejudice only adds authenticity; further establishes the time period. I don't think del Toro purposely wanted to start any conversations over it, but because people see what they want to see, hear what they want to hear, del Toro gets brownie points and people say it's what the movie is about.
The villain is not really a villain. He might be a bit prejudiced, but even I thought that he wasn't such a bad guy. And his 'villainous' motivations are grounded in the reality of the time. They are not outrageous. He's really just doing his job.

You know, I went in with an open mind, rather looking forward to it. A minute in and I hear music (not a French love song) slowly start to fade in. Just a minute in. It was at that moment I knew I was in for a bad time. I sighed as I looked to the side, and thought 'you're f n kidding me.' I've had to sit through one too many movies of this kind. Enough artistic, some independent, low budget romance movies. Maybe set a bit further in the past because being in love seemed a lot more fulfilling in the old days; it's rather romanticized.

I suppose I'm not an adult, and am not a very romantic person lol. It's just difficult for me to escape and therefore understand. Something about these kinds of movies is just very fake. I wonder if it's why many people like them. They wish such things, such love, was still true.
In the case of French love songs, I wouldn't laugh. I hear them and I just want to shove a drill into my ears. I developed an ill-judged conclusion – that if you want to be a pretentious, artsy-fartsy ****er making a movie, including a low to mid tempo French love song (sung by a woman) will give you the exact result you're after. That and a couple of aged filters. It has been done so many times. French love songs don't make the entirety of the soundtrack/score, but the movie does have one or two. And speaking of aged filters, it's one thing the movie does well. It does have a proper color palette and filters that make the film look aged. In my opinion that is kind of nice, and even though it's also a gimmicky thing, it was done right in this movie.

It's...strange. that I actually liked the protagonist. Not enough to remember her name though lol. I sympathize with her, but when you take things into consideration, I couldn't help but not feel the way I do about the movie. I don't pay attention to the Oscars, but if this movie was Oscar worthy, Oscars may not be much of an achievement.

The Coen Brothers remake of True Grit. I never saw the original. I love westerns. Love them. But this movie annoyed me to no end. Beautifully shot and cast but I found the little girl to be annoying as hell as a character. What really drove it home for me is that the whole movie she never once cries or even gets upset about her father being murdered in cold blood but for some reason is hellbent on getting revenge on the man who killed him, but when her horse dies bringing her to safety she bawls her eyes out. How the hell does that make any sense at all? The actress that played her? Talented beyond her years for sure. I just couldn't stand her character at ALL.

Plus Jeff Bridges mumbled through most of the movie and I had such a hard time understanding what he said that I didn't care about him either and that's saying a lot because Jeff Bridges is a mighty fine actor.

They say the 'True Grit' remake stuck close to the book's original dialogue. I get the feeling that was responsible for some of those irks with the characters. They sorta have that feeling to them. Many of the characters sounded a little over-written and similar to each other.

Tarantino's characters get like that sometimes too. But it's also a signature part of his style and lots of people like it.

Will Ferrell in anything !
Elf is the only movie him being clueless makes sense .

He plays the same character in everything !

One that seems to have just arrived on Earth and has no idea how anything works , in Elf it makes sense in every other movie not so much .

Pretty much the same with Steve Carell !

Just being stupid and understanding nothing is not funny !

If it was my ex would be a comedy super star !

They say the 'True Grit' remake stuck close to the book's original dialogue. I get the feeling that was responsible for some of those irks with the characters. They sorta have that feeling to them. Many of the characters sounded a little over-written and similar to each other.
Here's the thing. The Coen Brothers' version of True Grit wasn't a remake of the 1969 movie starring John Wayne. Both movies were based on the novel "True Grit" written by Charles Portis and released in 1968. As such, there are similarities but the differences are due to differing filmmaking styles. The 1969 version was somewhat modernized, particularly with regards to the dialogue, but the Coen Brothers were more faithful to the novel because they were told the dialogue was more authentic to the way people spoke in 1875.

I guess. I just didn't buy it and there are some characters and stories you just don't connect with. This one didn't do it for me.

I've got to agree on the newer of True Grit, I didn't care for it at all. I realize both had a lot of the same lines which came from the book, but it seemed like the actors intentionally went out of their way to NOT use the same inflections used in the original, just to make it sound different. It didn't sound natural at all to me.

I love both versions, honestly I think the second attempt is better film making. However as much as I like the Dude, I prefer the Duke as Rooster. Nothing as cool as him swinging that lever action as he's riding.

Yeah, Anderson is a straight up old fashioned romantic. He's got a droll artist/poet sensibility going on. I understand why it puts some people off but I appreciate the thought and effort he pours into his movies. I find amazing things in all of them, even the ones I don't particularly like.

His one movie I love without reservation is Rushmore — poignant and harsh but still very funny. It's also one of the last movies I remember seeing in a theater that made me sit up and take notice that I was watching a style of moviemaking I'd never seen before. Those moments are pretty rare.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back