Movies you hate that everyone else likes

Don't kill me if I think Blade Runner is overrated.
While I'm sure it's a fantastic movie I think I'm incapable of understanding, I found it to be so boring that I actually started falling asleep about 50 minutes in. I gave it that much time, and to this day I still haven't seen the rest. The soundtrack was great.

While I'm sure it's a fantastic movie I think I'm incapable of understanding, I found it to be so boring that I actually started falling asleep about 50 minutes in. I gave it that much time, and to this day I still haven't seen the rest. The soundtrack was great.
It is a fantastic movie, almost as awesome as your avatar! That freaking ROCKS! :cool:thumbsup

I felt exactly the same way for the last 30+years! Until this year when I forced myself to watch the original theatrical release WITH voiceover. Basically Deckard narrates it like it’s a 1930s detective drama.

Loved it!! First time I didn’t fall asleep! (Harrison Ford and Ridley Scott hated this version BTW).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm a big fan of Blade Runner but will be the first to say you're not missing out on some profound message that hasn't been done better in other films. The story itself is thin. There's little action and Decker basically just follows some obvious leads and has an ethical dilemma. He doesn't even complete a character arc by making a moral choice unless you count him running away at the end.

But it's still one of my favorite movies.

Blade Runner is all about the visuals and design and how those drive some themes. If you want to make an honest attempt at appreciating it you really need to see it in a theater with all your attention on the film in order to appreciate the atmosphere in the music and sound design. It's pointless to watch it passively at home with ambient light, with your wife trying to have a conversation in the background while you're browsing on your laptop. It's a gorgeous film that's more experience than story which makes you feel like you've been in a real place of beautiful pathos.

But there's nothing that profound about it, IMO. The intricate atmosphere isn't something everyone appreciates. I remember a lot of people didn't like it in 1982. A lot of critics panned it. So it's not for everyone.

Don't kill me if I think Blade Runner is overrated.
Don’t be silly. Nobody would kill you.

It is called retirement.

Last edited:
It is a fantastic movie, almost as awesome as your avatar! That freaking ROCKS! :cool:thumbsup
yep. Albuquerque's Public Enemy #1 lol

I felt exactly the same way for the last 30+years! Until this year when I forced myself to watch the original theatrical release WITH voiceover. Basically Deckard narrates it like it’s a 1930s detective drama.

Loved it!! First time I didn’t fall asleep! (Harrison Ford and Ridley Scott hated this version BTW).
I'm not someone who falls asleep when watching movies I find boring, it's just a pity that Blade Runner is one of the very few movies to have actually made me feel that way. Anyway, I ought to give that a shot sometime, but I do want to give it a try once more. I'm not lying when I said I haven't seen the rest haha!

I'm a big fan of Blade Runner but will be the first to say you're not missing out on some profound message that hasn't been done better in other films. The story itself is thin. There's little action and Decker basically just follows some obvious leads and has an ethical dilemma - he doesn't even complete a character arc by making a moral choice unless you count him running away at the end.

But it's still one of my favorite movies.

Blade Runner is all about the visuals and design and how those drive the themes. If you want to make an honest attempt at appreciating it you really need to see it in a theater with all your attention on the film in order to appreciate the atmosphere - the way the music and sound design create depth. It's pointless to watch it passively at home with ambient light, with your wife trying to have a conversation in the background while you're browsing on your laptop. It's a gorgeous film that's more experience than story which makes you feel like you've been in a real place of beautiful pathos.

But there's nothing that profound about it, IMO. The intricate atmosphere isn't something everyone appreciates. I remember a lot of people didn't like it in 1982. A lot of critics panned it. So it's not for everyone.
You might have spoiled some of it for me lol. It's ok. Thanks for the explanation though. I did find the visuals to be very impressive, and again, the score. I can appreciate that about it. It was was enjoyable right from the beginning. I just found the story a bit lacking and it's why I couldn't sit through it.

Indiana Jones and the last crusade, beyond the obvious chemistry between Ford and Connery this rehash of Raiders has the most boring locations. And the need to make up for Temple of doom's darkness made the film overly goofy. Losing all the edge that Raiders and Doom had.

Not fussed about the Shawshank Redemption. Much prefer McVicar or Scum - "Who's the Daddy now!"

The Last Jedi (might not count, cause no one liked it)
The Force Awakens
Hunger Games
Anything with Nicolas Cage (except Raising Arizona)
Truman Show (I fall asleep every time)
All the live action Transformers
& I've never seen Gone With The Wind or any of The Godfather movies

The Last Jedi (might not count, cause no one liked it)
The Force Awakens
Hunger Games
Anything with Nicolas Cage (except Raising Arizona)
Truman Show (I fall asleep every time)
All the live action Transformers
& I've never seen Gone With The Wind or any of The Godfather movies

TLJ counts, I for one loved it.

i had the same reaction to Jurassic Park. no real story there either
That film made its impact mainly on the CG effects of the time. It was a landmark film where the key scene is when the lawyer, sitting on the toilet, gets eaten by the T-Rex. Until then CG didn’t interact with reality so directly. So, for the rest of the film, the audience felt genuine peril when people were being chased.

So the JP is not going to have the same impact today as it did when it was new. It’s like the movie, Psycho, which flipped the plot on its ear after a horrific shower murder scene. Today Psycho doesn’t even faze anybody and there’s little reason outside of historical interest to watch it. That’s what Jurassic Park is today.

Jurassic Park never mattered to me. I was in highschool when it came out and the story was too bland. As great as the effects we're, it did nothing for me

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

aye, and psycho i still watch when it comes on tv several times if not at least once a year. it has shall we say a story, excellent design, great cinematography by television veterans and foremost, an excellent acting performance by Tony (Balsam, and the Sheriff did pretty darn good too). i'm guessing (guessing mind you) that psycho outside of fan communities such as this gets seen more and it's far far older...a true classic. jurassic park could never touch it.

whether jurassic park is a true "classic" is very, very debatable lol
but i don't do debates. i find it a poor substitute for actual discussion.

Last edited:
  • Jurassic Park
  • Hunger Games (it was a poorly done ripoff and it's boring)
  • Twilight (Watching these movies in German made them boring, because they're like the books. Watching them in English is funny, because you realise how bad the acting is. Like a "The Room" - Series)
  • Black Panther (totally overrated IMHO. I like the Panther in an ensemble but there wasn't much for me to be interested in his solo flick)
  • Tim Burtons Batman (Love the visuals, hated everything else. This had nothing to do with the Dark Knight)
  • All traditional Disney movies!

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back