Scratch-built Star Trek Hypospray

Ectospinner

I was bored one day and having recently joined a small Star Trek fan group, I wanted to build something to keep busy. I looked at a few reference pics and screencaps to get a general idea of what I was doing and more or less made my hypospray from memory and improvisation. Sure, it's not screen accurate, but in pics at conventions, it'll do the job just fine and it doesn't look half bad in person.

Before the nitpickers attack, I'm aware of the innaccuracies. Yes, it's too long, the button configuration is incorrect, the corners aren't cut off, paint is correct, yadda yadda yadda. I plan to take some more time and do some more extensive planning for the next one, but for now, I'm pretty happy with how it turned out.

I started with a piece of 1"x1" balsa wood and added details cut from a plastic sign from Home Depot for the grips and the controls on the head. The neck was made with stacked washers and a healthy amount of filler and the actual applicator tip was made from more washers and a screw cover thing I found laying around.

Pic0214.jpg

Pic0215.jpg

DSCN8148.jpg

DSCN8147.jpg

DSCN8149.jpg

In the end, I made a mold, resin casted it in 3 pieces, and used that to make a finished prop for display. The vials fit in with magnets so I can interchange them. I plan to make a cleaner, more accurate version later in the year once I get moved into the new house.

I love it. My favorite builds are Home Depot builds!! I have a Home Depot Droid Caller that is almost finished. Cost all of $3.89.

Hey thanks for the compliments!

I'm still not 100% happy with it, but in a few months, I'll probably have a new version finished. Since I joined a fan group in the DFW area, I've been looking into what Trek props I could make to help equip the members of our little fleet. I think I might try my hand at a scratch built tricorder soon if I can just get my hands on some good scans of the labels and screens.

Nice build Ectospinner, I like it! Love the magnet idea too :thumbsup
I started a scratch-build some time ago but lost interest when I ran into a few snags, and other builds :wacko
Seeing what you have done has got me thinking about digging it out and trying to finish it.
I would appreciate it if you wouldn't mind telling me where you got the vials from and there size. I have some already but they are the short medical type. These are the kind of bottles were you might see a doctor or a nurse use a needle to draw meds out of. They are OK but I think the longer ones look much nicer.
Thanks for any help locating these, Petseal

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back