Youtube vid of Auction X-wing Pyro and Auction Y-wing

Yeah it has indeed, but the guy said the fuselage is not screen used (as far as I can understand :p). But that's a fuselage with a production pedigreee for sure !

No, but the claim (several times) was that it was production-made. But what are the chances of it being production-made yet having the same mods as the Eaves fuselage, coincidentally?

No, but the claim (several times) was that it was production-made. But what are the chances of it being production-made yet having the same mods as the Eaves fuselage, coincidentally?

Maybe I dont understand what he's saying lol but I understand that only the wings (with the cannons), the R2 etc are screen used and they assembled them on a fuselage (which we dont from where it comes) to get a complete X-Wing ? Like they did with the Y-Wing ?

Julien, the guy's definitely saying the fuselage was made in the ILM shop during Star Wars but was never filmed, because they finished the film without needing to paint and blow up this pyro. According to this guy, it was next in line to be blown up, but film production finished, so it survived. Everything he says about the model, he claims to be repeating from what (presumably) Dave Jones told him ( he calls him 'Phil' Jones).

This idea that they took the surviving wings from destroyed pyros, glued them onto fresh fuselage castings, then primered over the whole thing, painted up the whole model and then blew it up is new to me. Is that a new one to you guys?

The separate canopy is a mystery, though, Nwerke's right.... but then, we still don't know everything that went on in the ILM shop...

Thanks for the clarification !

Anyway this X-Wing probably was in a private collection and maybe the guy who owned cut the canopy ? I'm pretty sure that's an ILM fuselage, Kevin could you confirm this ? I'm sure you can ! :)

hmm, if that canopy was cut off, it was done so by a surgeon!..

I'm struggling a bit with the wings being painted-over screen used ones. In the pic you posted Colin, you can see bare resin under the grey primer where the paint coverage is thin. (not to mention the inside surface of the lower right wing) I would expect to see the model's original paint there, unless it was chemically removed first?

If the model was assembled during the haste of production, but just too late to be used, would the guys have had the patience to strip the old paint off first.. for a pyro? It would surely have been quicker to cast new parts.

Beautiful model all the same.

Apparently it was in the collection of Dave Jones, one of the Star Wars model crew, and one of the main builders of the X-wings, I believe. Presumably it's been with him since 1977. The Y-Wing was his also.

On a side note, the guy says there are no more models left now outside of the archives which, if true, doesn't sound too good for Red 1 lovers... and what about Red 2? Is that in the archives at present, do we know? Or is there just Red 3?

hmm, if that canopy was cut off, it was done so by a surgeon!..

I'm struggling a bit with the wings being painted-over screen used ones. In the pic you posted Colin, you can see bare resin under the grey primer where the paint coverage is thin. (not to mention the inside surface of the lower right wing) I would expect to see the model's original paint there, unless it was chemically removed first?

If the model was assembled during the haste of production, but just too late to be used, would the guys have had the patience to strip the old paint off first.. for a pyro? It would surely have been quicker to cast new parts.

You're right about that resin look in the pictures - that's what I assumed was under the primer when those pics got posted. It doesn't seem likely they'd have stripped off the old paint, does it? Not given the sloppy paintjobs they were doing on the later pyros...

Last edited:
Anyway this X-Wing probably was in a private collection and maybe the guy who owned cut the canopy ? I'm pretty sure that's an ILM fuselage, Kevin could you confirm this ? I'm sure you can ! :)

So, this is the David Jones (DJ) pyro, and I've managed to track down 26 decent images of it, and to my eye this is very much the real deal. I too initially thought this might be related to the John Eaves (JE) casting, but in my opinion, the DJ castings are not descendant from the JE castings. They are first cousins, to be sure, but not the same.

To my eye, the DJ fuselage is cleaner than the JE, without all of the chipped paint and re-scribed panel lines. As far as the canopy on the DJ, it's definitely different from the JE. It's only the front part of the that has been cut away on the DJ, while the rear portion, which has the proper panel lines, is still integral with the fuselage. Also, I believe that the angles and alignment of the frame uprights are correct to the original pyros on the DJ, while something...funky...happened to the JE canopy along the way.

Add to that the relative general crispness of the droid strip, engine, rear plate, cockpit and pilot castings, and the completeness of that original ILM droid, not to mention that it came straight from one of the original model makers, and I would be willing to bet that this model is as close to derived from production as anyone will ever have an opportunity to purchase.

In my judgement, while definitely related, the DJ pyro is almost certainly a notch above the JE pyro castings that Frank received while working on the MR project.

"something funky happened to the JE canopy along the way" that's been bugging me for a while now. Anyone else notice the missing 5mm panel line at the bottom of the back of the canopy?

I'm struggling a bit with the wings being painted-over screen used ones.

Glad I'm not alone there. It was a point that troubled me when this sale came up. Those wings are only primered on the outside, and the material on the inside is a funny colour - if it's 70's urethane foam then I'd have expected it to be far yellower by now. Anyone have any thoughts on that?

I would expect to see the model's original paint there, unless it was chemically removed first?

And that. :lol

It would surely have been quicker to cast new parts.

Yes. Not to mention cutting off the canopy.

No argument there!

Good point from Beaz re the rear part of the canopy remaining in place. I'm bloody blind, some days! I guess it is a kind of a 'modelmaker-ey' thing to do, to give a model an opening canopy.

Have to add I'm not calling shenanigans on this as such - it has an awesome provenance - but I do think the description has fallen victim to Chinese Whispers, at least in part.

Also, in the world of prop auctions I assume the label 'screen-used' adds tens of thousands of dollars to a piece. But I do wonder if anyone can prove these X and Y 'screen-used' pieces actually appear in the film, given all the unused exploding pyro footage... 'Gone-before-camera' might be a better term here.

Or "cutting-room-floor". Yeah. However I think in this case if a model contains bits of models blown up for filming, and actually made it onto celluloid, it's good enough for me. Not that I have 40K to blow on a semi-crispy model spaceship.

I still wonder about the fate of Red 6. One of the few pyros we KNOW was in a more-or-less rebuildable state after being blown up...

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back