Fiber optic Harry potter wands

Robert412

So, I've looked and I've found nothing.

All of the HP wands that I've seen that light up, though impressive, are always too fat and bulky and look a bit silly.

Why has no one made one that uses fiber optics to light up?

It would be perfect! Hide the battery and LED light source in the thicker handle, and run a thin length of fiber optic thread to the end. It would also be easier to hide than an LED sticking out the tip.

WHYYYYY??????

I'm not sure... it seems like it would be easy enough... particularly for the folks here. It could even be done with a wooden wand that's been drilled out. It would only need one good LED, a power source (that could be one AAA or several small batteries), a small switch and one strand of optical fiber run to the tip. Seems like all that could fit just fine in an accurate sized wand. Wood would be nice because it wouldn't look like plastic like the light up ones available and wouldn't be as fragile as resin.

would the fiber optic strand have enough light to make the wand's tip really light up? you know, like the lumos spell or something...

Awesome, div6!

At work, I had a genious idea.

We sell pens that have objects (hammer heads, Christmas lights, funny faces) that light up when you hit them on something. It has the entire set up ready to go. Plus, after inspecting a damaged one, I saw that the switch was a tiny spring inside a metal tube. So, in a wand, it could activate with a swift flick and two tiny LEDs would flash through two tiny fiber optic threads!!! Awesome!

So, tonight, I start my build. Here is my plan.
-Use a paintbrush handle and sculpey to sculpt the wand.
-Mold it in latex and plaster bandages.
-in the casting phase put the fiber optic filaments(sp) in the shaft section of the mold, and a small tube in the handle section BEFORE I pour in the resin.

This will solve the problem of trying to drill out something that long, and I can put the led housing in the handle. I'll plug the back of the handle with another resin piece.

What do you think?

I'm going to make a basic wand of which I can make multiples and change with assorted paint styles. I'm a printmaker by trade... I like making multiples of original works.

Two things. I've made two prototypes.
a6890e35-b72c-672e.jpg

And I contacted a friend who is an electronic genious! He's working out the lighting systems for me.

With our powers combined!

Not yet. I set this project aside, for a while, but I was thinking about it again, today. Somebody suggested using copper tubing, and I think that is a grand idea! Anyone know where to get it?

Tractor Supply has is in lengths, and I think Home Depot and Lowes also carry it...Granger's has it, too...it's referred to as "rigid length tubing"....

Rob

Oh, I like the sound of this! My main issue with the existing light up ones is that they seem to have added the lighting functionality at the cost of autheticity, so I'd be interested to see how you get on this with.

Like Fenris, I'd be interested to hear if the Fibre optics are as bright though (even if you have multiple strands). I think that would be my only concern.

Good luck, and keep us posted!

Talked to my electronics guy, yesterday. He's still interested in the project. Will probably have actual physical progress soon!

Two things:

1. My electronics guy has a new baby. Congrats to him. The project is on hold.

2. I don't want to pay a lot for a lot of fiber optic filaments. Anybody know where I can purchase small amounts of it?

Just pull the electronics out of a current Noble wand and attach the ends of the fiber optics to the led. You will have a pre-wired working system that way.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back