Ideas on how to Light your Zenix Green Lantern Ring

Pitbull

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I know Zenix is working on a kit for the lights so by no means am I trying to step on his toes, I just figured we can discuss how to light up our Zenix Green Lantern Rings while wearing them.I'm currently messing around with a 3 volt lithium cell battery and a 3mm led but haven't came up with anything good yet.I was thinking about buying some cheap light up rings around the internet and ripping them open to see how they light up and then maybe incorporate those mechanics into our rings.

If anyone has any ideas or already got there's to light up while wearing them please share some of your ideas.

Lilly pad LEDs, they have a built in resistor and go for about $5 a piece. Only issue there is finding the right batteries.

also... just wait til next week =)

another member here helped me out big time

Last edited:
This thread is for ideas to make Zenixs ring light not make a different ring light.I just would like to stay on topic thanks though

Also, those of you that want to learn how to light a ring yourself, check out the classic How to Make a Green Lantern Ring Instructable! :cool:thumbsup

Long story short, all you really need is a green LED, a button cell battery, & room to fit both into the ring, which the movie ring has in spades! :cool

The process he showed is the same as what you need to do for this ring. Definitely was on topic.

Here's the first line it says and I read further when they said all you need is a led and a battery obviously

Which is explained in this video
YouTube - Glowing Green Lantern Ring Tutorial - Part 1

Here's how to make your own resin cast Green Lantern ring.I'm not looking to make a resin cast ring I'm looking to find ideas on how to light ZENIX'S green lantern ring with no drilling or casting.

Pretty much just the light hook up

The process he showed is the same as what you need to do for this ring. Definitely was on topic.

hatersgonnacat.jpg

IMG_20110219_141026.jpg

IMG_20110219_140952.jpg

IMG_20110219_141012.jpg

Last edited:
Even in the last picture above, you can see the watch battery inside the ring against his finger. Obviously you're not making a resin ring, but the lighting process is well described.

Even in the last picture above, you can see the watch battery inside the ring against his finger. Obviously you're not making a resin ring, but the lighting process is well described.
Precisely! Zenix has already done the hardest part, as at least some of his rings already have a hole drilled through the band, underneath the central gem. This is accurate to the movie prop, as can be seen in this image from the trailer...

GLmoviePowerRingRealPropCloseup.jpg

What you're seeing there is ambient light on the set shining through the hole in the band, "lighting up" the gem. As Reynolds closes his hand around the ring, you can see the light go dark as his hand covers the ring.

All you have to do is buy a bright green LED small enough to fit in there, insert it through the hole and under the gem, glue the LED and contacts in place, insert a button cell battery small enough to fit in the hole, and voila! Instant light-up ring! :cool:thumbsup

Can I make a suggestion?

A GREEN LED will take about 2 volts and 25 mA. So you will need a resistor since a button cell is 1.5 volts and when you use two, the resulting voltage would be 3 volts.

A White LED needs only 3 volts and at least 20 mA so you usually do not need a resistor and thus save space. And a surface mount LED such as a 5050 is very bright. But you might need so post of a thin green filter to get the green light onto the ring.

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back