Rapid prototyped Buckaroo Banzai Jet Car

megafern

Very excited to have found this site. I was looking for some Buckaroo Banzai reference pix and this popped up. I wanted to share my Jet Car project. Took a course in rapid prototyping which was centered around toy design. I wanted to make something that I have always wanted and has never been made as far as I know.

I modeled the Jet Car in Cinema 4D and it was printed with a plaster-like material. I took a few liberties on the back portion mainly due to the limitations of the print material I was using. You can't have any really thin spots or it will break or crumble, so I had to beef it up. I also did a more exaggerated jet nozzle. Unfortunately the rollbar headlights broke off. I plan on adding some more details and improvements and printing again. Also plan on building the Overthruster complete with gyro unit.

I am fortunate enough to have a good friend working at Popular Mechanics and I did a write up that he posted online. If interested in more pix and how the process works check out the article.

This is a great site, look forward to spending more time here.

Sean

Impressive.I don't know of anything "Buckaroo Banzi" has ever been made,and if it were,certainly it was done in the garage kit industry and it is long gone.I wish I had the softward9and hardware) along with the skills to do rapid prototyping.That's thousands of dollars and space I don't have.It would come in handy though.I've a few projects where rapid 3d prototyping would really be useful.

Great model! Big Buckaroo fan here!

I say keep it white like the model in the movie

attachment.php

rapid-prototyped-buckaroo-banzai-jet-car-vlcsnap-2011-02-18-11h41m59s97.png-45781d1298053849

Nick

That is amazing. In all the times I have watched the movie, I have never noticed the model! What makes it even funnier is when I built this I did a bunch of screen grabs as reference and still never noticed it. Awesome. Thanks for pointing it out.

Sean

I'll tell you later. :)

I've always been obsessed with that white model. I'd love to build a replica one day. I bet a scale and size could be derived from the nearby office binders.

It's also cool to think that the model was probably an actual study used for the development of the real jet car. It was probably just repurposed as a prop after the fact.

The DVD has a ton of good photos of the original truck being built up into the final jet car design. I've got those screen grabs somewhere.

Nick

I know that this is an old thread, but could you post the zbd or stl file for this. I would appreciate it and send you a full color version of the output.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back