Star Trek:The Motion Picture - The Director's Edition Blu-Ray?

I say without shame that I love this movie. Since I was 7 years old I did. Strangely, even as child, I got it, so to speak.

I've watched it with my 6 year old, who has now also seen TWOK as well, who has since observed about the two films: "Daddy, these mocies are the same but different, right?" See he gets it too! :)

The last DVD director's cut was great, but I wish that using that as a base, please add:

1. Leave in Spock's "lift the control arm up" stuff in from the orifice/thruster pack launch.

2. "Viewer off."

3. "Oh my God."

4. Clean up Kirk's thruster pack departure (add the SFX for a few bucks)

5. and please send me an STTMP Admirals Uniform and Phaser as a gift for my great suggestions.

:)

KK2

Paramount is probably the laziest, cheapest BluRay distributer of all the studios today.

Oh, believe me I know exactly what you mean--although it sometimes seems like a contest between studios to see who can put out the worst blu-ray sets--they can't all be Criterion unfortunately.

Kill me but i prefer the theatrical cut to the dull Director's cut. i watch my theatrical laser disk any chance I get to side step the CGI Vulcan Statues (I know they were taken from storyboards - but there are a multitude of storyboards, some with no statues as seen in the original version). The biggest difference - small one but it drives me CRAZY - Is the computer voice that has been replaced by a soft spoken female. Not sure if this was Majel reprising her ever role as voice over queen - but i loved that computer gargling water sounding voice that was in the original release - "A shuttle pod in now available at dock six" or "Identity starfleet inactive" right as Spock steps on the ship for the first time met by Pavol. The bumpy edges on the original made me fall in love with it.

I also prefer the theatrical cut, I missed the computer voice on the DVD. The only problem I had with it was the awful matte paintings of the Enterprise saucer.

I do prefer the Directors Cut. I'm a sucker for extended editions and the like. I got rid of my Bluray box set of Trek movies due to 1,2 and 6 not being the directors cuts.....

Rich

I would imagine that most or all of the original digital elements used for the creation of the Director's Edition were archived and still exist, and could be utilized for the re-creation of a new, high-resolution version for both limited theatrical and Blu-ray release.

The original film negative, including the additional scenes and alternate takes, would have to be rescanned at 4k and a digital intermediate created.

I would hope that all of the visual effects film elements (the model shots, the Compsy multiplane elements, the V'Ger cloud, smoke passes, etc. were properly cataloged, archived and stored. This would allow for the rescanning of those elements and recompositing them together digitally. This would make the original effects scenes far more sharper, clearer, and free of matte lines, grain and other artifacts that plagued the original composited scenes.

Most of the DE elements were created and rendered in Lightwave 3D. Since Lightwave's output is entirely scalable, it would be a simple matter of reloading the scene files and rerendering them at at 4k resolution.

There were also digital matte paintings created, and I don't know at what resolution they were created in (hopefully much higher than SD video), so they may or may not have to be recreated from scratch.

The DE sound mix is already done, so other than a few tweaks here and there, or perhaps a new 7.1 version, it is ready to go.

If I were involved in the recreation of the Director's Edition for high-def release, that is the course I would pursue.

E

Yeah I was pretty disappointed that all the Blurays are the theatrical releases.

Especially TMP. I actually decided not to by the 6 disc boxset because of this (well... that and I don't really need ST:V on Bluray either :lol).

I've been spoiled by the Director's Cut. One thing it does is remove a lot of the tension between Kirk, Bones and Spock. Kirk seemed to be constantly annoyed in the theatrical cut.

Of course the little tweaks with the effects are cool. And while I would LOVE to have this on Bluray, I'm satisfied with my upconverted dvd.

As for WOK- I kind of miss Scotty's "moment" when ensign Preston (who is actually Scotty's nephew) dies in sickbay.

Kevin
I agree with these sentiments completely.....

...however....i HAD the box set on BD and watched them all....the quality was just sumptuous as were the 7.1 soundtracks......

...HOWEVER......i just couldn't reconcile that they weren't the DC's, so i flogged them on ebay.

The Dc of STMP is sheer magic to me......i know it's a bit boring and Vger sounds like it's farting, but it's still the only ST pic to deliver a true Science Fiction feel....the same way 2001 did.

Rich

Well to be honest, since making that post in February of 2011, I've purchased the boxset of original films on bluray. :lol

Obviously I'm hanging on to my DC of TMP, and while I haven't watched it since buying the bluray, I'm hanging on to my copy of Wrath of Khan (I do miss Scotty's big scene when Preston dies in sickbay).

Kevin

1. Leave in Spock's "lift the control arm up" stuff in from the orifice/thruster pack launch.

Nothing says "EMERGENCY EVACUATION!" than a 20 second audio tutorial telling you what to do. I think Spock's line "I intend to calculate thruster ignition and acceleration rates to coincide with the opening of the V'Ger orifice." would be sufficient information in telling us what's going on.

2. "Viewer off."

Don't you mean "Viewer off!"? I think this exclusion is good for both Uhura and Kirk.

3. "Oh my God."

Oh, come on. That delivery was down right "There is no way out of here. It will be dark soon. There is no way out of here."

4. Clean up Kirk's thruster pack departure (add the SFX for a few bucks)

That scene will never work! It's the wrong suit!

5. and please send me an STTMP Admirals Uniform and Phaser as a gift for my great suggestions.

JJ stole the uniform and altered it for our now disabled Pike. I cried to.

But I will be honest. if I could include ONE THING that was deleted, it would be Sulu's line "The new screens held!". I know that the Enterprise was refitted, but knowing that the shields were also new helps to understand how the Enterprise survived V'ger's attack and not the Klingons.

Oh! Anyone playing Star Trek Online? Someone is making more... connections.

Maybe with the new JJ Trek movie coming out in a few months will show that the ST brand is still a money spinner for Paramount and they might reconsider stumping up the cash for re-rendering the CG scenes at the appropriate resolution and clean up the film itself.

In fact why not just scan everything in at 8k resolution and the same for the re-rendering. Make it a bit future proof! :)

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back