Mister Rogers' Neighborhood - Trolley and the Puppets

I always thought the owl was cool as hell. Sooner or later I'd like to see a replica of that.

At first glance, he seems like the easiest one of the lot to reproduce. Get yourself some polymer clay, some pinking shears, and some lightweight felt and dive in. The lighter blues might be hard to source, but you could probably dye some white felt to a near match with inks.

Let me tell you a story of when I was younger, about 13 or 14. I have always loved antique shops, and there was one in Beaverton Or, that I liked, mainly because they had these exact puppets for sale as a set for $100. I begged my folks to loan me the money for them, I am sure they were production used too. Alas the store closed and the puppets disappeared. The end.

Let me tell you a story of when I was younger, about 13 or 14. I have always loved antique shops, and there was one in Beaverton Or, that I liked, mainly because they had these exact puppets for sale as a set for $100. I begged my folks to loan me the money for them, I am sure they were production used too. Alas the store closed and the puppets disappeared. The end.

Were they these smaller ones perhaps?
DSC04941.jpg

DSC04909.jpg

I've also seen some on eBay in the past that had cloth bodies and rubber heads, but were commercially produced. It COULD have been something like that? But either way that's pretty cool. I would have wanted them too!

This is TOTALLY unrelated, but I remember going into one of those temporary mall Halloween costume shops after the 2nd Ninja Turtles movie came out. It was really the start of the popularity of costume shops carrying costumes that were reportedly molded from the real deal. I think everyone remembers the years in a row that Batman and Robin from Batman Forever stood in the windows of those costume stores. Anywho, they used to sell a really decent Raphael mask, only problem being that the eye mask was rubber also but a cloth mask could easily be put on top of it, (mine would have to be orange though since I'm a Mikey fan) ANYWAY,....there it was,...I think it was $200 at the time a hard rubber shell, front and back. I almost died. I was young enough that the thing probably wouldnt of even fit me properly,...but it was perfect (at least to me at the time) I'd LOVE to see it again. I've always looked and I've never found another. It was just that one stupid time for a kid who didn't have $200 :D

WQED, the PBS station that made MR Rogers, has tours of the studio and once in a while actually recreate the show setup in the studio when it isn't in use for tours. That and the actor who was Mr. McFeely does all sorts of charity stuff in character to keep the show alive. I never knew this but the show's neighborhood is based on the one Fred grew up and lived in on the north side near where his statue is. I saw a special clip that showed that he even went before congress to defend PBS.
I think he's had more effect on kids in generations that any other show.

This really brings up memories. I grew up on Mister Rogers Neighborhood, it was, as the kids now say "The Bomb"

thanks for sharing.

thomas;)

I don't think there is a kid in the US who hasn't grown up with him lol. I think it's the only PBS kid's show that has repeats from decades ago.

As far as puppets you could buy: in addition to the smaller ones shown above in the interactive exhibit (which were also sold by Family Communications for a while), there were also some in an older style from the mid '70s made by Ideal. They were less toy-looking and had rubber heads. They were much closer in appearance to what was used on television. These could be what Jennigirl saw in the store. I have a King Friday and X the Owl, and there was also a Lady Elaine in the Ideal series.

edit: See the last pic in Post #5 upthread. Those are the Ideal puppets.

As far as puppets you could buy: in addition to the smaller ones shown above in the interactive exhibit (which were also sold by Family Communications for a while), there were also some in an older style from the mid '70s made by Ideal. They were less toy-looking and had rubber heads. They were much closer in appearance to what was used on television. These could be what Jennigirl saw in the store. I have a King Friday and X the Owl, and there was also a Lady Elaine in the Ideal series.

edit: See the last pic in Post #5 upthread. Those are the Ideal puppets.

Yeah, that sounds like what I was referring too. With the rubber heads. Those the heads look alright....the feather on X might be a print, no? and the fabric on King Friday differs from the show, but otherwise, as "toys" they seem to be pretty close/decent

Thanks for the museum pics, Kurt. Seeing those characters and sets brings back so many memories. And I think the smile on your face speaks volumes about how much the man meant to all of us :)

I actually have a sweater worn by Fred Rogers packed away in storage. I never knew how to display it so I just packed it away when i bought my house six years back. I acquired it through Disney's "Reel Finds" shop. Not the one at Hollywood Studios (Formerly MGM), but the shop they had at Pleasure Island. They used to carry many screen worn costumes as well as personal wardrobe items back then. That shop has since closed and the one at Hollywood studios now pretty much only has autographs.

Having worked for Disney at the time, when Christmas came around, we got killer 50% off discounts on stuff in the shop, so I snagged a few costumes and stuff.
It stated that it was personally owned by Fred Rogers (Mr. Rogers) but does not state if it was one used on the show. It is a cardigan style like those used.

Just pulled it out.... And my mistake... It was a personal wardrobe sweater and not from the show :)

Last edited:
I actually have a sweater worn by Fred Rogers packed away in storage. I never knew how to display it so I just packed it away when i bought my house six years back. I acquired it through Disney's "Reel Finds" shop. Not the one at Hollywood Studios (Formerly MGM), but the shop they had at Pleasure Island. They used to carry many screen worn costumes as well as personal wardrobe items back then. That shop has since closed and the one at Hollywood studios now pretty much only has autographs.

Having worked for Disney at the time, when Christmas came around, we got killer 50% off discounts on stuff in the shop, so I snagged a few costumes and stuff.

If I can dig it up I will post some photos along with the Disney Letterhead COA letter that came with it.

It stated that it was personally owned by Fred Rogers (Mr. Rogers) but does not state if it was one used on the show. It is a cardigan style like those used.

Wow, that's awesome! I LOVED that shop....repeat LOVED!! I think now it's a Harley store. What did you do at Disney? I was on the College Program there in 1998, drove the Friendship Boats from the International Gateway at EPCOT to the 3 resort docks (Yacht & Beach, Boardwalk, Swan & Dolphin) and down to the M.G.M. Studios...which I guess now is just the Disney Studios.

Wow, that's awesome! I LOVED that shop....repeat LOVED!! I think now it's a Harley store. What did you do at Disney? I was on the College Program there in 1998, drove the Friendship Boats from the International Gateway at EPCOT to the 3 resort docks (Yacht & Beach, Boardwalk, Swan & Dolphin) and down to the M.G.M. Studios...which I guess now is just the Disney Studios.

Yeah, it's Disney's Hollywood Studios now. I too miss that shop, and all the cool treasures. I also miss Starabilias... I used to spend hours just roaming that shop staring at all the props.

Last edited:
I've found this to be quote a glorious find:
Francis McGrath

He's even got a life size one that I'm using for plans to make a wood trolley.
Sadly, nothing about the puppets, but I'm going to be ideally working on some plans in the future for people to make their own puppets (sewing patterns, etc).

I did a castle, but while cleaning the house (I have a family of horders), my sister must have thrown it out unknowingly.

Time to start from scratch. :/

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back