Star Wars Chronicles

TC,

It's just a by the year account of things Star Wars-related as they happened. That includes not only the film releases but also the toy releases, comic tie-ins, novels, video games, etc.

I generally don't like those books because they go into too much detail on general minutae and don't concentrate on more important things. They're emphasizing the stuff that's not important at the expense of events that were a lot more important. Plus, regardless of what happens during a generic year, not much usually happens in the off-years.

For instance, between 1986 and 1992 not much happened Star Wars-wise other than wide releases of the VHS tapes. There were no new action figures, playsets, etc. and Star Wars merchandising was allowed to dry out. Sort of like the 7-year release cycle Disney used to maintain for its most profitable animated features. You don't wear out and bore the audience by keeping things constantly and allow for a new audience to develop in the mean time.

Since 1992, we've been constantly bombarded by one piece of Star Wars memorabilia or toy after another... Do you honestly think that all those years are that memorable and worth having an entry for?

They've done this kind of book for DC Comics, and frankly it's the same deal. There are a couple years of intense activity that are worth noting, and then you usually have 5-10 years where nothing worthwhile really happens.

I just don't feel like I need a book to tell me that!

I'd buy an art collection book, pre-production/production design book, or behind the scenes making of book that's a bit less pricy and not a coffee table book so that's heavy that I have to start heavy weight-lifting.

That's just me -- other people go for everything including these year-by-year books.

I just (tentatively) picked up a copy of the 1997 Star Wars Chronicles book. Any word on how fragile these are? I heard some rumor about them having weak spines, and the guy said he can't guarantee what happens after I use it for a while - probably because I commented about the rumor (nothing mentioned before). I had a numismatic reference book once that just fell apart after moderate use. Not sure I'm up for a repeat of THAT experience, and he gave me th day to think about it before he ships.

Thanks in advance.

I've had no problems with my copy, it seems pretty well made. My copies of the Art of books not so much, nearly every page has come loose.

I have both the Japanese and English versions of the Chronicles books... I would say that neither one would be up for heavy reference work. Having to find a rebinding service in the future is a definite thing.

I have both the Original and the Prequel Chronicles books (English)- IIRC they cast about $70 each, discounted because there was a small dent in the outer slipcover. One of the best investments I ever made in reference.
I didn't know about the other editions until this thread- I take it the Japanese edition has the same photography but the text is more informative?

Wish I could read Japanese. Hey, is that blueprint book out of print already? I have not seen it new and at a normal price for a while.

STAR WARS Chronicles Episode IV, V AND VI/Vehicles
Nov 29,2016
17,280 yen

Review
The super-weight order and the last "Star Wars" visual book!
staff of "Star Wars chronicle" gathered again, and the latest definitive edition of a "Star Wars" prop photograph collection appears here.
The super-rare picture found in recent years is carried in quantities.

Publisher's commnet
The decisive collector's item born from the forefront of a "Star Wars" study.
Many rollout picture and deep extreme background information overwhelm the SW freak!

Yeah, my buddy Sekiguchi-san is publishing it. You can get it on hlj.com - ships next month.
(I also have a message out to Takahashi-san about the new Chronicles, to see if he can say more)

i checked out this book yesterday on the amazon japan site and it sounds really exciting and appears to promise new pictures etc.
but states that it is 320 pages which is how many pages ( including the blank pages at the end) the original book is.
here's hoping that this is a revised edition with lots more goodies but we'll have to see.

i would be getting the model graphix book for now as i reckon that one is gonna be good.

Picture updated in amazon's page.

Chronicles.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back