Ilsa's Salt Reliquary from Hellboy

asavage

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Back when Revolution unloaded a lot of props from Hellboy, I scored a few great pieces. Abe Sapien's research box, some Nazi gold, and this, Ilsa's Salt Cellar.

I eventually was able to contact an art director of Hellboy, who turned out to have commissioned this piece, and I was told it's history.

He was in Prague and DelToro wanted the piece. The art director went to do research at the Jewish Museum in Prague, the perfect resource for determining what such an object might have possibly looked like. Guillermo had told him some of the history he wanted the object infused with.

The art director spoke at length to some of the conservators at the museum. These are the people who restore and fix and make replicas of the objects in the museum's collection. Perhaps no group on earth better for helping figure out how such a mystical item might look. After some conversation, they allowed that they could make the object as well as help him design it. So they did. It's made in lost wax, is solid brass, and is, according to the art director, the only one made for the film. It's heavy as hell, and he was surprised that the glass was intact, as they had that custom made for the film too, and one of the two glass vessels they'd made was broken during production.

I picked it up for under $400.00.

Here's a bunch of pictures of what it looks like and the key details. I've been asked by a member to supply a tape measure for size reference, I hope this is sufficient.
It's a gorgeous piece and I'm proud to have it in my collection.

Wow that is beautiful and amazing you were able to get a piece of movie history for less than 400. Kind of strange though why they would cast the top in solid brass with that weight on the glass.

GORGEOUS piece of art, thanks a lot for sharing these photos and, parhaps more important, the history attached to that prop !

:thumbsup

Fred

It looks even better than it does on screen, thanks a lot for posting these, and giving some insightful background for the piece.
Cheers.

Wow!!!!

I love the bubbles in the glass. It looks like an amazing piece!

That is one hell of a bargain too.

Nice dodo notes btw :lol

Chris

That's awesome. The more of these screen used threads I read the more I start to get sharp pains right about midway down my right thigh.

They must have made at least 2 of them, because I was also fortunate enough to pick one up from Revolution.

CIMG4381.JPG

Very cool to finally know the story behind the piece. I had always wondered if it was an off the shelf item or created just for the movie.

-Jeff

Any chance you still have those photos lying around, Adam? Sadly, they don't show up here any more.

I dont know about the photos, but you can see the reliquary in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7I0rX7t1J0Q

Thanks, RobertMuldoon. Yeah. I'm working on a replica and it's so far been based on screencaps from that video and screencaps from the movie itself. I've built a prototype, but not having a clear(er) view of the artwork on the dome is my current roadblock. Here's where I'm currently at with the prototype (minus knurling on the edges and the artwork on the dome.)

There's another prototype in the pic which is also tangentially related. I'm 3D Modeling the eye test device from Bicentennial Man, that's my first print and quick test paint of it. The original device was built by Mr. Savage, as it turns out.

saltcellar_proto1.jpg

Last edited:
This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back