Tron 1 Lightcycle model kit

Printing is ongoing, half the cycle's parts are printed now. It's both weird and exciting to see it come to life... again. :)

IMG_20170418_222242.jpg

Small progress those two last weeks due to the 3D printer being either broken or used by too many people. I think I'm gonna buy one, it tends to be quite frustrating.
Anyway, here's an update ! It starts to look like the real thing...

IMG_20170430_011708.jpg

Thank you ! I intend to, it's designed that way. I'll let people be judge of that after I complete this first try.

Hey Gedmact66,
Yes, there have been a lot of progress since then.
The model you saw in the latests pics was completed... sort of. Cost me a fortune, some pieces were warped, joints were horrible. The joy of a shared 3D printed. In the end, it was an expensive pull and not really useable.

So, I've bought my first 3D printer ( a small one) and have learnt tons about that craft, which in turn made me able to tune in some details on the model. Still stuck up on the translucent material for the windows, but transparent filament worked wonders for the pilot.
I've actually printed up a full version of the kit, and am working on a custom version for a (very patient) client. I'll post some pics in the upcoming week so you guys can see what I'm about.

Thank you all for your patience !

Hey everyone,
As promised, I will start to show more of the recent prints. I'm currently working on two models : The Red one and the Blue one. The Blue one will be for a client, it will bear his logo on both sides. For starters, here's a pic of the Red one : https://image.ibb.co/cm4Ltp/IMG_20170811_201323.jpg

For those of you who are wondering why this takes such a long time to complete, there are two factors : 1) I don't have much free time and 2) Lots of projects in the same time. We are nearing completion tho, newer and much better printer will arrive soon, I've started tests on a translucent pilot and working on a base... what remains are the translucent parts such as the light trail and the windows.

Again, thanks guys for your patience !

Hey everyone,
As I was stuck on how to do the glass windows on the cycle, I saw this video from Bill Doran today : https://youtu.be/RNAc0C8nApc
Okay, so it seems thermoforming + dye is the ideal way to go, because printing the pieces will never give me that kind of results, even with Shapeway's super duper printers and materials.

Well, now I have to get a thermoforming equipment. Please kill me. :D

Guys, I'm finally nearing completion. I got a way better printer than my first one (a brand new Alfawise U20) and I'm reprinting some pieces with a better quality. I'm doing tests on the pilot, now printed in clear material, with a blue LED to see how I can achieve the effect of the glowing circuitry.

The jet walls will be a sandwich of translucent blue PLA and glow-in-the dark blue PLA. Already tested the blue and red glow-in-the dark materials, the blue works well but the red one is not that great. Nothing I can do on this side, still cool anyway.

As for the windows, well as I don't have access to a thermoforming machine they will be opaque black for now. Final version will be with tinted clear plastique, but that will be for later as I'd like to get this going.

The stands have been designed accurately from the movie (beside the client's logo here, final version will be Tron's). I'm just biased on the light wall (purple on this pic). What do you think looks the greatest ? Straight or with the 90° angle ? Thanks in advance for your help !

Lightcycle-walls1.jpg

I vote for the 90 degree turn. First time I saw the light cycle do that, it was the coolest thing ever!! I hate that they lost that feature in Legacy.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back