Tron 1 Lightcycle model kit

Very cool stuff! I'd be quite interested in 3 or so of these if the price is reasonable.

Get some fluorescent plexi for light walls and off ya go!

@ Nwerke : Thank you for the bump, I hate doing that myself just to get some attention. But, I was starting to think my thread had sunk down in the abyss of the forum for good. :p

I haven't use clear materials as well, so that will be a first for me. Thanks for the tip !

@ Dangerstudios : Thanks for the offer, could you detail a bit what you have in mind please ? I had some idea for a cool stand, so it would be interesting to see what people are thinking in their side. :)

@ Talisen : Thank you very much. Yup, I intend to light up the light walls. Could you tell me what price would you consider to be reasonable, in your opinion ? I'd be interested to know some price range.

@ Modelnutz : PM received, thank you very much for all the information you shared. I contacted Smooth-on recently, they very kindly gave me a selection of silicone for molding ( Mold Max 30 ) and clear material to cast ( Crystal Clear 202 ). I'd love to get those a try, but as I said above, the price for the products plus shipping is not cheap. I'll try to make a few searches around here to see if I can find the same stuff here in France, otherwise I'll have to go the "shipping overseas which cost an arm and an eye" road.
Thank you for your help and your email, I'll keep you in mind ! :)

Anyway, the problem that arose is that I do not have a vaccum chamber at my disposal, so I'll have to built one from scratch I think. Not too complicated, but it has to be done to get perfect clear casting. Some extra job to do ! :p

Still looking for a way to get the budget to print the 20+ centimeters long prototype, I thought about the Kickstarter website but there's a legal issue I can't ignore; Raising money to fund such a project would have been possible with a design of my own, not something Disney owns. :/

Thanks again for all your comments, guys, it's much appreciated. :)

j8nwr8.jpg

How did you skin and cut it and extract/create those perfect support extrusions? I'm a new 3ds max user. I know how to do it in zbrush with the difference morph trick, but it's not as precise and certainly not as controllable.

If it's hard to explain. I am wondering if you learned it somewhere- a video or book that you can recommend?

@ Itsalive : Did not learnt that anywhere, just brain juice here. :)

The " Shell " modifier can transform, say, a cylinder into a tube by extruding faces inward, for example. Most of the process was to model the elements, cut them in half and then create full, non-manifold and waterthight volumes from them.

Then, for the " how to create which pieces ", how they fit with each other and such, it's really only a matter of brain juice, hours of work and quite a few errors. :)

Hope it helped, don't give up ! :)

As for the glass thing, thanks for the idea, but considering the size of the pieces, they would get way too brittle. I must use composites on this one. :)

Davlin, I HAVE now gained some experience with clear polyurethanes. New types are very clear and cast relatively fast, but still need to stay in the moulds a longish time - not the 48 hours or more that you used to hear about - but still, if you can leave the pieces in the moulds a day or so, it would be best. Answer is probably to make your clear parts in multiples via a sizeable gang mould.

I also found the material very susceptible to moisture - in fact I haven't yet been able to get a good cast without thousands of small bubbles despite using heat and whatnot.

Oh, and depending on the type you use, you may find you need an addition-cure silicone; the stuff may not be compatible with other kinds.

HTH!

This project is identical to one I've been planning but had never gotten it started: lightcycle with translucent windows and LED-lit rider inside. I would buy this if you offer it as a kit.

Hey people,

First of all, thank you for your interest. I am still willing to do this, but I won't post to do the keyboard jockey. Thing is, money runned out quite tight up to the point where I lost my job. So, as of now, getting the pieces for the bigger cycle is not possible for me.
Of course, there would be the option where I raise some money from you guys, but I don't want to be the new "guy who's collecting the money, then nothing and excuses arise". It is just plain honesty to buy the pieces first, do the first build, fix the problems that could arise and then make some runs that I could sell to you.
My project, my responsability.

I know there's some real interest in this ( eck, a comic shop owner even offered me to sell it for me ), and I'm very sorry to be the one to be stopping this to a halt. :(

Hope to have more news in the upcoming future. Stay tuned people ! :)

P.S : Still open to idea and tips, thought. If you see a company that can 3D print some clear parts, please let me know. :)

P.P.S : In the meantime, please check Canobi's TRON related project, which I'm working on and is also cool : http://www.therpf.com/f9/tron-discography-build-thread-disc-1-a-147642/

Last edited:
Hey people,

Hey people, time to get this project on wheels again, it has been on hold way enough.

*puts it on hold for five more years*

Last edited:
Hello RPF.
It's been a huge while I haven't been there, starting a company took all my time and ressources away so no time for anything else whatsoever since 2012. If you'd asked me that in early 2012, I would not have believed it.

ANYWAY

The Lightcycle project is back on tracks. 3D printers have evolved tremendously since 2011 and things are now possible in a way I couldn't have dreamed it when I modeled the Lightcycle back in 2010... I also have access to some awesome tools now, like a laser cutter. The old Shapeways-printed, 12 cm-long prototype have been sent to a friend so he can build it while I couldn't, guess what happened ? Never saw it again. So I starting from zero, but things are exciting. :)

Parts are being printed on a Makerbot Replicator 2x. I have a limited access to the 3D printer, so I can only print two big pieces per week. Layers' thickness is 0.2 millimeter, which is plenty enough for a good start. The whole lightcycle, without the light trail or the stand, will be 25 centimeters long. Parts are printed on the original parts' color, so painting it may be a breeze.

For now, I have the red part from the wheels and the red part of the hull. Here's a photo to give you guys an idea.

IMG_20170414_213532.jpg

What's next ? Well, the light grey parts. Can't wait to get all the pieces for a first dry assembly !

Last edited:
This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back