Alan Grant's Hat (Jurassic Park)

rickraptor

I'm doing some research trying to find a hat which is something like what Sam Neill wore in Jurassic Park. My maximum goal would be to find the hat, that is, same model used for the movie.

alan2.png

It is a straw hat, with a horsehair hat band with a couple of tassels.

The hat dimensions are not known, but from watching and comparing it with all the Indy replica hats I've seen (whose proportions are known) I can tell the crown is a little bit shorter (under 5 inches, perhaps 4 and half) and the brim wider (around 3 or 3 and a half inches).

alan1.png

The horsehair hatband is 5 braid, 1/2 inches with brown and tan pattern and two short tassels.

Now, what have I found in the last months:

hg3_F_575.jpg

Appart from the sweat band which wouldn't be hard to replace, is a nice looking hat. More of a central american drug dealer than Grant, but with some work it would look good.

It is only 37 dollars in Sunbody hats (Sunbody Hats: Sunbody Hats, The Leader in Palm Leaf Hats, Wholesale Distributor) and the brim size is customizable (from 3 inches on, which is already a wide brim (wider than Indy's fedora)).

Next, the Scala, Saratoga model seems to be almost the same one in the movie, except for the band and a couple of details.

attachment.php

The pattern of the brim also differs somehow from what Grant wore, but the straw looks good.

What do you guys think? Do you know any better hat? Where?

The hatband, on the other hand, is a pain in the ass to find. I've seen hundreds of online shops with hatbands with the most horrific and complicated designs and none like that one! And the ones I found to be similar, they're or too dark or too bright :unsure

Well, here it is.

Thanks!

PS: Oh, btw, It's a nice forum you guys got here. I love it!

If you get a hatband that is too bright you can always dye it. Otherwise it's (as far as I can see on the movie shots) very similar!
/D

I bought the hat you've pictured on here from Sunbody.com. Fortunately, all the hats at Sunbody are completely shapeable. All you have to do is soak the hat in water inside and out (they recommend getting the hat wet purposely ever-so-often) and then you can shape it. When I recieved my hat, I was shocked because It looked a little different than the pic from the Sunbody website that you've posted on here. Mine was a bit darker (not so "white" like a Donald Gennaro fedora! and I was glad of that - the actually color is much closer to Dr. Grant's hat in the movie) and the crown was shorter than I expected, so I had to raise it some when I reworked the hat. The brim was also very flat and I had to curve it up on the sides some and curve it down in the front. I also bought a 1/2 inch wide horsehair braid hat band with tassels and got a pretty close match on the J.P. Grant hat. It's the closest hat i've found to the movie hat, especially the pattern of the palm material. I'll include some pics....my ebay sales mannequin will model my hat for you. Thanks.

Last edited:
here's the pics of the Sunbody 3 inch brim palm fedora I reshaped...Let me put it this way, my friends that saw me wearing the hat started calling me Dr. Grant, and they didn't even know that's the reason I bought the hat...LOL

Last edited:
another rain-soaked view of the real mccoy on Grant at the Rex paddock..:Also another pic of my hat from Sunbody(side view) compared to another pic from the same angle of the real Dr. Grant hat...very similar styling now after I reworked it.

Last edited:
sweet, I believe we'll be ordering one for my husbands Alan Grant costume. We've just been using a cheapy one we found at an army navy store.

sweet, I believe we'll be ordering one for my husbands Alan Grant costume. We've just been using a cheapy one we found at an army navy store.

Believe me, the Sunbody hat is good because you can shape it and make it look how you want and it's around $40.00 or less. It's a good buy.

Is your band a purchase from the same store or was that elsewhere? if you ware willing to share :)

I bought the hat band off of Ebay from an eBay seller, so it's a different store than the hat...the eBay seller is captnmoondancer and the eBay store is called Moon Dance Merchants. They sell all kinds of western items and other hat bands, too. But to get the right width, make sure it's a 1/2 inch 5 strand horsehair braid hat band, and not a 3 strand 1/4 inch(too small) or a 7 strand ONE inch (too wide)...the bands vary in width and it only needs to be 1/2 inch. Hope that was some help to you. Thanks!:cool

Last edited:
nice to see some good research put into this hat. Now if only the same were applied to Muldoon's hat.

The Muldoon hat, as far as I can tell, is much easier to find than the Dr. Grant hat. In fact, as I had told Rick Raptor, who started this post, I think the Dr. Grant hat may have been custom made for actor Sam Neill to wear in the Jurassic Park movie, and it's merely based on outdoor hats that real paleontologists often wear. It's a nightmare to find the exact model of the hat, because I am not sure it exsists other than the one used in the movie...you can only find close matches, but not exact matches. And when you buy a "Grant-like" hat, you have to put a lot of work into it (as I did) to make it look right. But it's different with Muldoon's hat. The Muldoon hat is often referred to as a poucher hat, slouch hat or Aussie hat with a snap closure on either side of the brim so you can turn up the sides, as Muldoon does in the film. I found some for sell on eBay even. The colors are good, and there isn't any additional work required to finish the hat, unless you just remove the chin cord strap...it is as Muldoon-ish as you can get just the way it is. The 2nd model pictured below is from a company called Henschel, I believe. I've included a couple pics of Muldoon-style Aussie hats. I think pic #2 is the best version, and closest to the movie hat. However, there are several variants of this style of hat, in different shapes and colors, so you'd have to go searching and just pick one that looks the closest to the movie version. I bet you could find the EXACT hat for Muldoon just by comparing pics of the hat in the film with hats at online stores. That's just what I've discovered from my research into it. Hope it is helpful.

Last edited:
I have been looking for this hat for a year. Thank you so much! :)
Is there another source of supply for the hat band? I didn't find the hatband in captnmoondancers shop.

Last edited:
Thanks to a couple of folks, in and out of this forum... I've compiled most of the ALAN GRANT costume look-alike. I'm working on the belt greeblies and boots.
Alan Grant-2.png

Yep. Very same hat. All you have to do is wet it, with some water running, wait a couple of minutes, and then start giving it the traditional shape. To make it more accurate, get the accurate head band (see a few of my posts up) to get the right one.

I've being debating in either airbrushing or just light-misting the hat with some "Brown Boots" color, just to give it a slight darker color, as seen on screen.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back