Alan Grant's Hat (Jurassic Park)

I'm personally partial to the Scala Panama hat, which I added a custom horsehair braid hatband to for my replica Alan Grant hat:
RLmLRp9.jpg 0ahqOIM.jpg vQoSDUR.jpg

I'm building a replica Grant costume right now, and I thought I'd drop these hi-res pics & screencaps here for future reference.

To my eye, Grant's hat does look like a very fine, tight straw; and shaped something like a cross between an 'outback' and a 'gambler' style (note the flat crown and the rolled brim at the back).

A quick search for "outback panama" should get you some cane / straw outback style hats. They seem to range from about $40 US and up. If you get one, you will likely have to (re)shape it, which can be done with steam or warm water.

Attachments

• vlcsnap-2018-02-16-20h43m21s921.png
    vlcsnap-2018-02-16-20h43m21s921.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 6,469
  • vlcsnap-2018-02-16-20h39m02s439.png
    vlcsnap-2018-02-16-20h39m02s439.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 453
  • vlcsnap-2018-02-16-20h38m35s550.png
    vlcsnap-2018-02-16-20h38m35s550.png
    913.9 KB · Views: 1,279
  • vlcsnap-2017-12-31-15h44m25s631.png
    vlcsnap-2017-12-31-15h44m25s631.png
    861.3 KB · Views: 1,672
  • Hat Texture & Band.jpg
    Hat Texture & Band.jpg
    152 KB · Views: 722
  • gettyimages-168577524-1506715796.jpg
    gettyimages-168577524-1506715796.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 715
Last edited:
A quick shot of my replica hat.

This was a 'gambler' / golfer style straw hat, made by Dobbs. Not the ideal base, but it's a start.

I removed the band & pins, then cut the stitches around the brim to remove the wire inside it. Steamed & reshaped the hat. Waited for it to dry. Applied a couple messy washes of mixed acrylic paints, and finished with a black & brown horsehair band from eBay.

Attachments

• IMG_2643b.jpg
    IMG_2643b.jpg
    289.2 KB · Views: 572
Okay, so I picked up my Sunbody fedora yesterday. I'm in the process of shaping it -- it's close, but I've still gotta work it over some -- and I'm wondering: how did you guys weather yours?

Okay, so I picked up my Sunbody fedora yesterday. I'm in the process of shaping it -- it's close, but I've still gotta work it over some -- and I'm wondering: how did you guys weather yours?

Three passes of acrylic paint, a couple different mixes of colors, dabbed on and wiped around. My advice would be to start with a lighter color – it's easy to make another, darker pass than it is to wipe something too dark off.

Three passes of acrylic paint, a couple different mixes of colors, dabbed on and wiped around. My advice would be to start with a lighter color – it's easy to make another, darker pass than it is to wipe something too dark off.

One other word of advice, be very careful of your color choice and how you apply it because once acrylic paint dries it's pretty much permanent. I'd not only start with a lighter color first, I'd also water it down it a lot before applying or during the application, this will make it easier to wipe off if you make a mistake it will also help keep it from looking like paint.

I wanted to put together an Alan Grant costume once. I haven't because I just haven't been able to find the denim long sleeve in my size, or in a condition that is worth buying. In case anyone cares to know what it is, it's a Polo Ralph Lauren denim shirt [strike]with the white buttons switched out in favor of tortoise buttons that came on the same shirt in a dark, asphalt color.[/strike] Sure enough after I posted this, I realized I was wrong about it; never saw one with tortoise buttons sold until yesterday. :facepalm

Anyway, here's a photo of a supposed screen used hat I found during my time researching Alan Grant's wardrobe. It was being auctioned off but I've unfortunately forgotten where. It's very worn, but it shows the braided band better.
2232-0039.jpg
aghat.jpg
The last time I remember partaking in the discussion of the costume over on a jp fansite, I think everyone agreed that it's a reshaped fine fedora from Sunbody. Maybe it was made by Baron Hats, but Sunbody has been around since and at one point they did offer 5 plait braided hat bands as an option. Sunbody even agreed that it was one of theirs. Either way, Sunbody seems to be the go to option for Alan Grant cosplayers.

Last edited:
I found a hatband with an almost identical pattern, but it's only 3/8" inches which is smaller than I was hoping. Can't decide if I want to pull the trigger or go with a wider (though less accurate) option.

Now that Jurassic World: Dominion has been out for a while. Dr. Grant has himself a new hat! Anyone figured out who the maker is?

Shawn

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back