The Stand - feature film - why?

While the original could have used a few tweeks here and there, it's still a pretty good adaption with a great cast (especially for an ABC mini-series). I just don't see them able to tell the story in two hours. There are too many characters, and too much going on to fit. It'll end up cutting entirely too much and feel rushed.

I agree. Actually the miniseries had to cut some stuff out too. I can't see how they'd manage to do this in one film.

Ugh... The Stand is one of my favorite books. I can't imagine them fitting even 1/4 of what they'd need to do the movie properly into 2 or even 3 hours.

The Stand was the first King book I ever read.

The mini-series was... okay. I felt that even 6 hours wasn't enough to properly adapt the book.

And of course with a book-to-movie adaptation I had a predetermined idea of how it "should" have looked/played out since I had already done this in my mind's eye.

So a two hour (maybe 3 hour) movie? :unsure

Kevin

lol, you guys really thinking that Hollywood would only make a single movie to tell it all? I can imagine them milking at least three films maybe at two and a half hours each for this and why not? They made a two part film for the last Harry Potter book. I don't think it will be bad though as if they invest that much time and money in it they may want to work harder to make them not suck.

Post apocalyptic movies are big right now, so they're latching onto anything that will make a buck.

I enjoyed the miniseries, but I'm not so sold on it that I wouldn't watch another retelling of it if done well. But yeah, anything under six hours would really be stripping it down.

Now who would they get to play Flagg...?

Well, I've got a couple of theories as to why this is being done.

The first, and more obvious one, is due to the previous production and the time it was made. Many people over at the IMDb feel that the actors were terrible in the roles of the film, not to mention the special effects wasn't as great (in fact, this is the same reason why some people dislike the mini-series for The Langoliers, to which some actually believe deserves more of a second adaptation than The Stand).

The second one, and this is my guess, is that since The Dark Tower is being developed into either a possible film/TV series, they're remaking The Stand as a means of tying more of the film adaptations into The Dark Tower, much like the novels had. If you recall, the character of Randall Flagg is a character that appears in The Dark Tower, as well as many other stories set within King's multiverse (the universe of The Stand is one of many universes that tie into the Dark Tower's existance, and Flagg has appeared in other stores, such as The Eyes of the Dragon and is it also hinted that he has appeared in a lot more without many people knowing, such as Hearts in Atlantis). The reason I suspect it to be true is because it has been done with the film adaptation of The Mist, which the novella ties into The Dark Tower series (In one of the novels, there's a mention of a Todash Darkness, similar to what the mist is, and the creatures described in it match similar physical descriptions to those seen in The Mist).

There's a lot of connections between these multiple universes and the DT series, so it could be possible that now they're wanting to make the films more connected so that people can watch them.

Of course, this is just speculation.

Well, I've got a couple of theories as to why this is being done.

The first, and more obvious one, is due to the previous production and the time it was made. Many people over at the IMDb feel that the actors were terrible in the roles of the film, not to mention the special effects wasn't as great (in fact, this is the same reason why some people dislike the mini-series for The Langoliers, to which some actually believe deserves more of a second adaptation than The Stand).

The second one, and this is my guess, is that since The Dark Tower is being developed into either a possible film/TV series, they're remaking The Stand as a means of tying more of the film adaptations into The Dark Tower, much like the novels had. If you recall, the character of Randall Flagg is a character that appears in The Dark Tower, as well as many other stories set within King's multiverse (the universe of The Stand is one of many universes that tie into the Dark Tower's existance, and Flagg has appeared in other stores, such as The Eyes of the Dragon and is it also hinted that he has appeared in a lot more without many people knowing, such as Hearts in Atlantis). The reason I suspect it to be true is because it has been done with the film adaptation of The Mist, which the novella ties into The Dark Tower series (In one of the novels, there's a mention of a Todash Darkness, similar to what the mist is, and the creatures described in it match similar physical descriptions to those seen in The Mist).

There's a lot of connections between these multiple universes and the DT series, so it could be possible that now they're wanting to make the films more connected so that people can watch them.

Of course, this is just speculation.

It would be really cool if they made the film productions of the Stephen King books tie in more directly like having the same actor play Flagg in all the films where he appears XD If they ever do another version of 'Salems Lot have the same guy that Plays Father Callahan play him again in the Dark Tower films XD That would be fun XD

I would not mind at all seeing this on the big screen. Great book, and an "okay" mini-series. They did the best they could with the small t.v. budget. I could easily see this being made into a trilogy, with some top talent attached. I'd love to see what can be done with a proper budget.

lol, you guys really thinking that Hollywood would only make a single movie to tell it all? I can imagine them milking at least three films maybe at two and a half hours each for this and why not? They made a two part film for the last Harry Potter book. I don't think it will be bad though as if they invest that much time and money in it they may want to work harder to make them not suck.

HP had six previously HUGELY successful films going for it, too. It was a veritable fact that both parts of book 7 would be huge hits.

This? If the plan is 2 or 3 and the first one tanks...there's no guarantees and if they shot them all at once and the first one tanked they'd be out a lot of money.

I see them doing a 2-3 hour one-shot if it comes to fruition.

This? If the plan is 2 or 3 and the first one tanks...there's no guarantees and if they shot them all at once and the first one tanked they'd be out a lot of money.

I'm sure the same argument could have been made about Peter Jackson's The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring back before it was released. There was no guarantee that it was going to be a success.

I'm sure the same argument could have been made about Peter Jackson's The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring back before it was released. There was no guarantee that it was going to be a success.

One of the most succeslful literary works in the world vs The Stand. Hmmm. LOTR was a huge punt, but it paid off due to being a huge public awareness and affection crossing generations regarding the source material, superior marketing and basically getting the right guy for the job.

Stand - cult horror novel by Stephen King, a novelist who has fared largeley pretty badly on big screen translations.

I'm seeing a one-shot movie with scant resemblance to the novel.

Who spends big bucks on horror flicks these days, when you can make big $$ turning out lowest common denominator pg-13 jump-scare dreck?

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back