Done! Quantum Leap Handlink from season 4

I would have to know the part number of the eprom to answer that.

Oh. I thought maybe the software rom from the original prop maybe made its way into the community. Depending on how many of these you are making, maybe it would be best to make your own pcbs with an arduino based chip and incorporate sound from an SD card or something like the wt588d module. It's working nicely so far on my sliders timer.

Oh. I thought maybe the software rom from the original prop maybe made its way into the community. Depending on how many of these you are making, maybe it would be best to make your own pcbs with an arduino based chip and incorporate sound from an SD card or something like the wt588d module. It's working nicely so far on my sliders timer.
Well, that is the reason for the raspberry pi. The pi is a bit more more robust in capability than arduino,

Well, that is the reason for the raspberry pi. The pi is a bit more more robust in capability than arduino,

Raspberry pi is great for networked things but I don't think it's great for small, handheld gizmos. I think it makes things overly complicated and leaves a larger footprint. If you are going to make the handlink into a wireless remote, that would be a cool idea.

Raspberry pi is great for networked things but I don't think it's great for small, handheld gizmos. I think it makes things overly complicated and leaves a larger footprint. If you are going to make the handlink into a wireless remote, that would be a cool idea.
That is why the model we are using is the Zero W. Take a look at it.

Interesting. I also wanted to use a Pi Zero on a Sliders Timer replica that I had been making, but as CJ2319 had mentioned, it is a whole lot of power, for something fairly simple. I had put that idea on the backburner for the time being and stuck with an Arduino MCU based build, however, it is still something that I had hoped to do at some point.

Did you write a program for the Pi to boot to instead of booting to a Linux OS, or does the output for the LEDs need to be ran while booted to an operating system like Raspbian?

The Zero W is an amazing thing to come out for small handheld projects, but my initial impression was that there were going to be some pretty big hurdles when doing something that would be much easier to do with Arduino or any other programed microprocessor.

I'm collaborating with someone who is a programmer. I myself can't answer your question, but both systems were evaluated for this project, and the pi was the choice for a number of reasons. There are some issues such as the number of GPIO's needed, and interactive functions to run different programs that made the pi the easier choice. It was explained to me that when you have a project that does one thing and needs to be able to repeat that function repeatedly, you go with arduino. But if you need multiple functions that can be called up on demand where the same function may not be always the one being run, then an actual computer is needed. The pi is a full computer in that aspect. The program being written will have a few seconds for boot when powered on, but will go right into the prop functions. Ive asked my programmer to join the RPF discussion after we are done with the construction of the prototype to answer questions.
Interesting. I also wanted to use a Pi Zero on a Sliders Timer replica that I had been making, but as CJ2319 had mentioned, it is a whole lot of power, for something fairly simple. I had put that idea on the backburner for the time being and stuck with an Arduino MCU based build, however, it is still something that I had hoped to do at some point.

Did you write a program for the Pi to boot to instead of booting to a Linux OS, or does the output for the LEDs need to be ran while booted to an operating system like Raspbian?

The Zero W is an amazing thing to come out for small handheld projects, but my initial impression was that there were going to be some pretty big hurdles when doing something that would be much easier to do with Arduino or any other programed microprocessor.

I'm collaborating with someone who is a programmer. I myself can't answer your question, but both systems were evaluated for this project, and the pi was the choice for a number of reasons. There are some issues such as the number of GPIO's needed, and interactive functions to run different programs that made the pi the easier choice. It was explained to me that when you have a project that does one thing and needs to be able to repeat that function repeatedly, you go with arduino. But if you need multiple functions that can be called up on demand where the same function may not be always the one being run, then an actual computer is needed. The pi is a full computer in that aspect. The program being written will have a few seconds for boot when powered on, but will go right into the prop functions. Ive asked my programmer to join the RPF discussion after we are done with the construction of the prototype to answer questions.

I'm guessing your programmer is booting into a python script? That's pretty similar to an arduino sketch. RPis are nice because they have a lot of stuff put into one small package, but it can also make things more difficult when all the terminals are crammed together. There are various options for adding i/o pins to a controller config. I think, if I were doing this project, I'd work on a pcb that matches the handlink shape so that the leds could connect with minimal wiring. Some (maybe all) could be directly on the board (I haven't seen the actual prop in a while). RPi is great, but not how I would do it if I had to make more than one. The wiring would be too time consuming.

I'm not too familiar with the handlink, but the later seasons' version just has some LEDs that flash in different patterns if I'm not mistaken. A microprocessor would carry out that function very well, especially if you had a seven segment/matrix display IC in the design. The MCU would be able to handle the different levels of function pretty well.

Now, as far as practicality is concerned, if you can get a Pi Zero programmed and working easier than you could an Arduino, there's really no reason not to use a Pi. The cost is also negligible since those Pi Zeros are so cheap. The Zero W is $10 with some availability issues. In fact, if Wifi/Bluetooth wasn't required, the Zero boards sell for only $5, which would actually be more cost effective than using a microprocessor with a display driver, plus all of the extra bits.

Making a PCB with a socket for the Pi would be really cool to see too.

Any plans on making the first version of the handlink?

Exactly, until a reason rises not to use the pi, it is on track to be the guts of the prop. I know there are likely many options, but as long as it does what we want, why mess with what works. Besides, the pi is os driven and that program is on a micro sd card. In the event, I or even the end user decides they want a custom light pattern, or even a different set of sounds, a simple software update can be done by even a novice through a DLC. And because the pi has wifi, the program can be written wirelessly .
If I don't jump off a cliff after this project is done, I might look at other versions of the prop.

I'm not too familiar with the handlink, but the later seasons' version just has some LEDs that flash in different patterns if I'm not mistaken. A microprocessor would carry out that function very well, especially if you had a seven segment/matrix display IC in the design. The MCU would be able to handle the different levels of function pretty well.

Now, as far as practicality is concerned, if you can get a Pi Zero programmed and working easier than you could an Arduino, there's really no reason not to use a Pi. The cost is also negligible since those Pi Zeros are so cheap. The Zero W is $10 with some availability issues. In fact, if Wifi/Bluetooth wasn't required, the Zero boards sell for only $5, which would actually be more cost effective than using a microprocessor with a display driver, plus all of the extra bits.

Making a PCB with a socket for the Pi would be really cool to see too.

Any plans on making the first version of the handlink?

Almost done with the pcb. Its going to be a flexible pcb with all smd components. Just need to trim it back a little more to prevent it from bleeding through in the clear areas. It wont be green, that is just the default color in the software.
handlink_pcb.png

Love it!

I also heard the buttons would interrupt the normal LED pattern and cause a more random effect. Were you planning on incorporating that feature?

Sean

Love it!

I also heard the buttons would interrupt the normal LED pattern and cause a more random effect. Were you planning on incorporating that feature?

Sean
I also spoke to a fellow who worked on the show, and handled the prop. He confirmed what you just said. There will be 4 different blink rates. slow, medium, fast and all on solid. They will be controlled in a cycle through a single touch capacative rivet head on the front.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back