The Big Lebowski Costume Thread

Re: The Big Lebowski "The Dude" Costume Thread

Y'know, if someone had told me even as recently as a month ago that one day I'd be thinking of purchasing PVC sandals and plaid shorts for myself, I'd have thought they were more than a little off in the head. Then I stumble across this thread, and...well, you all know what I mean. :cool

Hey guys, great thread!
I've been looking everywhere to find these trousers:
screenshot20110520at111.png

Would anyone of you know where to get these or what they're called?
thanks a lot! :)

Hey guys, great thread!
I've been looking everywhere to find these trousers:

Would anyone of you know where to get these or what they're called?
thanks a lot! :)

Hi!
eBay is gonna be your best bet. Search under '80s pants' I've seen close matches over the last few weeks. I found a nice pair which I hope will work well for the blue/purple pair he wears in the Jackie Treehorn bit. They need dyeing is all. Will post some pics once they get here!
Good luck man.

Last edited:
Here's what I found last week. The White ones I'm gonna dye, need to work out what dye colour to use first. The other pair look okish too, I'll see how they are in hand. I'm more excited about the White pair though. They look 'right' somehow!
5f92c13a-8dee-be29.jpg

5f92c13a-8f55-8d51.jpg

Those white pants look great, man! If you're gonna dye them anything, I'd dye them grey, but they look great like that.

And that Pendleton Sweater? Ridiculous. If it was a dead-on replica, I could see spending two hundred buck on it, but not for something that far off.

I'm heading to Lebowski Fest Philadelphia in two weeks, so hopefully I'll see some of you guys there, if not, I'll post pictures!

Abide, Dudes.

Those white pants look great, man! If you're gonna dye them anything, I'd dye them grey, but they look great like that.
If he was to dye them, a medium grey, medium grey/blue, or medium blue/purple might work, and they would be similar to the pants Bridges wore in the scene when the Dude met with Jackie Treehorn; as usual, it's difficult to tell exactly what colors most of Dude's wardrobe items were.

Last edited:

If he was to dye them, a medium grey, medium grey/blue, or medium blue/purple might work, and they would be similar to the pants Bridges wore in the scene when dude met with Jackie Treehorn; as usual, it's difficult to tell exactly what colors most of Dude's wardrobe items were.

Yeah, the colorization of the whole movie seems to throw things off, but was looking through the cover art and came across this photo, which may or may not be more reliable than the in film colors.

936full-the-big-lebowski-poster.jpg

I don't think that poster is a particularly good gauge for colors. First, look at the sweater--the poster makes it look like the base color is white or off-white (on my monitor, anyway), and we all know it's more of a tan color. Likewise, the pants on the poster appear to be shades of tan or brown, but in the film they're predominantly more of a blue/violet color.

At this point, considering the film is now 12 years old and the era in which it's set a bit older, unless we know the specifics of each item like the Vuarnet sunglasses, the Pendleton sweater, and the Sarraizienne Sun T-Bar PVC sandals or Otomix shoes, unless we happen to stumble onto something on evilBay or in a thrift store that is an exact match, I think the best we can hope for is something that's Dude-esque. Besides, the only people who would really know the difference are here on the RPF and, perhaps, a few folks at a Lebowskifest. ;)

Thanks for all the help guys! Pants just turned up, will get them on and post pics later. I must say they are looking good. Reckon I will dye the White ones though, hopefully between us we can work out a good colour choice!

Honestly, you could leave them like that, but if anything, using that Lavendar dye would probably look good, seeing as it would more subtle and closer to grey and purple.

Trust me, they're a little to deep into the Oat Soda's by the time the costume contest comes around to REALLY know the difference.
Oh, right. I haven't been to a Lebowskifest (yet), so I hadn't considered the effects of Oat Sodas, Caucasians, and...uh...other things. :cool

Reckon I will dye the White ones though, hopefully between us we can work out a good colour choice!
If they were mine I'd combine that French Lavendar with either Bahama Blue or Ocean Blue to get more of a blue/violet color. The good thing is you're starting with white material, so you should get reasonably true colors no matter what you decide.

One thing to keep in mind--I'm not familiar with Dylon, but most of the dyes I've used require the use of hot water. If the pants are cotton, they might shrink even if they're used and have been washed numerous times.

That's a great anecdote, isn't it? It makes a director's job that much easier when an actor knows the character so well that he would take something like that into consideration. Then again, I recall an interview with Bridges in which he stated The Dude was the one character he'd portrayed that was most like himself, so maybe it was more personal experience than knowledge of the character. :D

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back