The Big Lebowski Costume Thread

Just got home from Louisville. Had a fantastic time at the 2018 Fest. Lot of great creative cosplay costumes. Won a trophy for third place trivia, should have done better but just got a little rattled. Brought a painting at the auction to benefit the wellness group. Spent four great days with my son from Houston. Thanks for all your help Dudes to help make this all happen. ABIDE!!!

Jealous. I grew up in Louisville, and would have loved to go to Lebowski Fest in my home town. Glad you had a good time, now post pics so we can live vicariously through you.

Me and Erik Lebowski 2018.jpg

Got the word at the fest from Will Russell that there would be a fest in San Francisco next year. That would be great being I live in San Jose. But if you get the chance Louisville is pretty cool.

Just got home from Louisville. Had a fantastic time at the 2018 Fest. Lot of great creative cosplay costumes. Won a trophy for third place trivia, should have done better but just got a little rattled. Brought a painting at the auction to benefit the wellness group. Spent four great days with my son from Houston. Thanks for all your help Dudes to help make this all happen. ABIDE!!!

Ahh! I was there, too, but only now seeing this thread. I won Farthest Traveled trophy (came from Seattle). I'm still a bit miffed at myself for the costume contest. i was in the first group of Dudes being voted on (and by far had the biggest cheers of all from that group, if not overall) but i wandered back into the crowd immediately since i didn't know how they were going to track people. i think they either lost sight of me or confused me with the younger guy who was dressed almost identical to me. c'est la vie, man. i still had a great time for my first-ever Lebowski Fest.

(i'm pictured here with a Walter who was bowling in the lane next to me; second photo is of my trophy, "Mini-Dude" who i take on my travels everywhere, and my wax white russian prop i've mentioned above)

37754080_10209774750159575_4711486807684939776_n.jpg37760508_10209773533809167_5430119322607419392_n.jpg

can anyone find me a pair of shorts like the one the dude wears in the beggining of the movie? preferably in size 38-40

i found mine on Eddie Bauer's site a few years ago, but have yet to see them in stock (since i need a slightly smaller size now and like wearing them as everyday but don't want to eventually ruin them for the costume). Check on Amazon, too, for "green plaid shorts" and you'll pull up a lot of hits from Asian sellers for cheap knockoffs, which should be good enough for a costume. if you want better quality, keep an eye out on websites like JC Penney, Macy's, Target, Wal-Mart, etc. The style isn't very popular any more, though.

Also, i've yet to ever see a pair that isn't cargo shorts, so it won't be movie identical. that said, i wouldn't trade away those extra pockets when at a con or event! i keep my portable charger and other things in them so i'm not carrying things around by hand or have my main pockets overly bulging and uncomfortable.

Nice costume. It was my first fest,also. I came from San Jose Ca so you just beat me out on that one. Love the hail storm and all the storms on Friday. Stayed at the Crowne Plaza across the street. Would certainly do it all over again in Louisville. Will told me there would be a fest in San Francisco next year I guess we will wait and hope. I love your white Russian, hard to make? It was pretty cool at the fest only charging $5.00 for a Caucasion. Well Adide Dude and take er' easy.

Ahh! I was there, too, but only now seeing this thread. I won Farthest Traveled trophy (came from Seattle). I'm still a bit miffed at myself for the costume contest. i was in the first group of Dudes being voted on (and by far had the biggest cheers of all from that group, if not overall) but i wandered back into the crowd immediately since i didn't know how they were going to track people. i think they either lost sight of me or confused me with the younger guy who was dressed almost identical to me. c'est la vie, man. i still had a great time for my first-ever Lebowski Fest.

(i'm pictured here with a Walter who was bowling in the lane next to me; second photo is of my trophy, "Mini-Dude" who i take on my travels everywhere, and my wax white russian prop i've mentioned above)

View attachment 833900View attachment 833901

I need a white Russian prop for my Lebowski mash up. How did you make it (if you did, in fact, make it), or where can I get one?

Nice costume. It was my first fest,also. I came from San Jose Ca so you just beat me out on that one. Love the hail storm and all the storms on Friday. Stayed at the Crowne Plaza across the street. Would certainly do it all over again in Louisville. Will told me there would be a fest in San Francisco next year I guess we will wait and hope. I love your white Russian, hard to make? It was pretty cool at the fest only charging $5.00 for a Caucasion. Well Adide Dude and take er' easy.

i stayed there as well. hell of a convenience to be right across the street. that storm was nuts, but fun to experience weather like that. and yeah, the $5 non-collusion white russian was a nice bonus! haha

prop info below in my answer to Kovnyn

I need a white Russian prop for my Lebowski mash up. How did you make it (if you did, in fact, make it), or where can I get one?

it took me 8 months of off & on work to figure out due to all sorts of snags i kept hitting, and then trying something different. overall, though, once i figured it out it's super simple to do, and relatively cheap to mass-produce but initial cost for everything will run you about $20+.

what you need...
- a decent sized candle of a creamy white color, a brown candle and a white candle
- acrylic ice cube props (found on Amazon)
- a "pizza saver" plastic insert -- these are the white plastic things they put in pizza boxes to keep the pizza from sticking to the lid
- one or more pieces of desired cocktail glassware
- optional: coffee scented essential oil

I used a crockpot to melt my wax. since i bought pillar candles, i shaved off chunks using an old screwdriver. i also used a brown and a white candle to try to get the right color (part of the trial and error work i went through!). depending on the type of wax and shades of colors, you probably want a 5:1 ratio of white to brown. it's better just to find a creamy brown color, but most of those will be scented candles and cost you 5x more than cheap unscented wax candles. if you get scented ones, try to get something that will be appealing to carry around, optionally smelling like Kahlua (coffee). you can also use an essential oil, preferably ones used for candle making, to add some aroma to the wax when melting it. you just want to use a couple of drops, maybe 3 or 4 if you are doing several props.

when melting the wax, don't do it directly in the crockpot. use a separate container, like a restaurant take-out soup container (also sold on Amazon and i had plenty that i bought for my food projects). put a loose layer of foil in the bottom of the crockpot so that the plastic container doesn't melt from the hot surface of the crockpot. keeping it loose will keep the heat conductivity low, but keep the crockpot covered to retain the ambient heat. alternatively, you can buy a cheap saucepan at a thrift store just to use for this and do it on the stove top. melt the wax on LOW heat.

take a pizza saver and do a test of how high it sets within the glass. set at least one ice cube on top of it to get an idea of where the final levels will be. typically, you want at least 1/2" space between the lip of the lass and the top of the drink to look more realistic since people don't pour drinks to the rim. the lower you have it, the more it looks like it's been partially consumed, but you also want it to look full enough that people know what it is. i usually try to fill mine around 3/4 full. with the ice cubes in, you'll want your fill like to be high enough that the ice will look like it's just slightly poking out from it, definitely not protruding too much. if you need or want to adjust the height, trim off length of the pizza saver's "legs" to get the right height. if it's sitting TOO low, you can always layer some wax, let it cool, then set the saver on the cooled wax and continue to fill.

before pouring into a cocktail glass, be sure to check on the final color of the wax if you are mixing two waxes for the color. pour a liberal amount into a small container and let it set. if the color is good, fill an empty glass about 1/4 full then place the pizza saver in the wax. there's going to be a lot of room before your final fill level -- and this is the important part! -- you'll be doing this in layers so don't worry too much about covering up the pizza saver completely on this pass.

the one thing i learned the hard way is that wax sucks to work with for props. it'll pucker when cooling if it's touching anything that is cooler than it is since it'll start hardening first on those surfaces. it's also common to get nasty sinkholes during the cooling, especially if you try to cool it in a fridge. layering was the best way i found to counteract this, so you have to be super-patient. after the initial fill, attach your ice cubes to the pizza saver, likely just 2 or 3, using a hot glue gun. i tried other methods, but white glue melts from the heated wax, superglue willl screw up the ice cubes in case you ever want to use them again, and i even tried caulk (which wasn't as successful as i hoped). you'll want plenty of space between the cubes for the wax to get into as you pour it, otherwise you end up trying to backfill empty spaces, which isn't as easy as it sounds (a small basting tool helps for that, but still better not to go that route as i learned. haha!)

after the initial pour is cooled completely, pour just a small amount in. you'll want enough to completely cover the previous pour and fill in any sink holes as well. at this point, you'll really start to notice how the wax reacts to the colder glass and ice cubes and how the wax's surface tension starts to work against you as it's cooling quickly against those surfaces. let that cool completely as well. repeat the process for another few layers until you reach the desired height. i also recommend buying a small kitchen funnel to help with the pouring. you'll be able to aim it where you need it and have a bit more control with splashes and such. just be sure to clean our the wax in its tip between pours since it'll bluild up a blockage if you let it. don't worry too much if you get wax on weird places like the rim of the glass or splattered on the ice cubes. more on that in a minute...

in the end, you'll likely do about 5+ layers, depending on how nicely the wax is working for you and how high your final level is going to be. the final layer is the hardest i found, since you'll want a level pour and nothing that is going to pucker too much against the sides of the glass.

the nice thing with wax is that it can be melted back down, which is why you shouldn't worry about wax getting spilled during your pours. once you're done, use a toothpick to scrape off excess wax from areas, including the tops of ice cubes as needed. try not to gouge the wax too much, but there's a way to fix those scraped-edge areas. use a hairdryer (not a heat gun!). run it on high and try to get direct heat on the areas that need smoothing out. don't let the wax melt too much; you'll want it just to the point where it starts to liquify. if you heat an area too much, you risk melting a lot of wax around the area, which then risks puckering issues.

once it's all done and fully cooled, use a soft rag and polish the glass as it likely has some waxy residue on the outside from all the work, as well as along the upper rim. depending on the glassware you used, it's possible that the wax can be loosened by twisting or just jostling around during travels and pop out. if this happens, it gives you a good opportunity for polishing the rest of the glass. i don't mind the loose prop myself just for cleaning purposes, but if you want to avoid any damage to the wax when transporting it, you can always try to re-set it in the glass using a hairdryer. blow hot air on the bottom of the prop until it JUST starts to "sweat" and then put it in the glassware. the seal won't be super strong, but it'll hold until it comes loose again.

do NOT heat the glass directly or you run the chance of melting too much wax and having air bubbles and other issues. wax is weird with how quickly it can go from solid to liquid without much of an in-between state. also, once it's heated to a melting point, it will start melting wax around the liquid wax due to its own heat and you can end up with a chain reaction of having more wax melted than you planned. finally, do NOT heat the glass in a microwave. most bar glassware isn't microwave safe and will shatter, as i found out the hard way when trying to remove wax from one of my test pours.

38542156_2090032731006708_2465158095140028416_o.jpg

Went to the TCM/Fathom Events 20th Anniversary Showing of The Big Lebowski. I bought the tickets in January for the August showing. My wife and I were really excited. To be fair, I thought it would be much fuller than it actually was. That being said, it was great, at least 20 or more people were there. Great crowd reactions and amazing to see it on the big screen. From one or two of the reactions, I think that there were a few first timers that had been dragged into by regulars. People were laughing, and guffawing alot. It really made it an overall amazing experience.

The best part is, these movies were made to be seen in the big screen. To see it in it's full glory is just amazing. I saw things I hadn't noticed before, I saw facial expressions and details in so much more detail. It was well worth the money for the experience. I even bought two "oat sodas" of Miller Lite to really nail the experience.

I decided to wear this.

IMG_6519 2.JPG

Last edited:
Went to the TCM/Fathom Events 20th Anniversary Showing of The Big Lebowski. I bought the tickets in January for the August showing. My wife and I were really excited. To be fair, I thought it would be much fuller than it actually was. That being said, it was great, at least 20 or more people were there. Great crowd reactions and amazing to see it on the big screen. From one or two of the reactions, I think that there were a few first timers that had been dragged into by regulars. People were laughing, and guffawing alot. It really made it an overall amazing experience.

The best part is, these movies were made to be seen in the big screen. To see it in it's full glory is just amazing. I saw things I hadn't noticed before, I saw facial expressions and details in so much more detail. It was well worth the money for the experience. I even bought two "oat sodas" of Miller Lite to really nail the experience.

I decided to wear this.

Nice! I also went to a local showing last night and wore the same outfit (jellies and white russian prop as well)
IMG_1591.JPG

Would love to find a purple Ralph's half and half carton. Tried following the post regarding the making of one which would be great but I just couldn't make it work. Take er easy Dudes!

what were the tools the dude wore on his toolbelt in the gutterball dream sequence?
On his right hip was a yellow battery powered drill in a "holster" of sorts, and on the back was a claw hammer hanging in a wire loop/hoop. I'm not sure what was on his left hip, but it looked like an electrician's tool set consisting of some sort of pouch or holster holding a variety of small hand tools like screwdrivers, pliers, wire cutters, maybe some wire strippers, a tape measure, and another claw hammer. And hanging from that was a cheap pair of safety goggles, the rubbery kind with the elastic strap to hold them on your face. The belt and all of the holsters/pouches appear to be made from leather dyed black. Mind you, these are only observations based on stills and video I've watched; someone with more detailed information might correct me if I'm wrong.

I picked up the off the shelf ***** costume for Halloween, but I wasn't happy with the affordable bowling shoes out there, so I picked up this $30 pair on Amazon and tried my hand at leather paint for the first time. And I was able to order a custom ***** necklace on Amazon too.

Originals:
Screen Shot 2018-09-07 at 9.58.30 PM.png

My Halloween version:
IMG_9406.jpg
IMG_9441.jpg
IMG_0903.jpg

42619831_10155831435626717_495513993301983232_n.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back