The Big Lebowski Costume Thread

2015-11-01_12.21.23.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

2015-11-02_19.27.16.jpg

I was looking for the cardigan and was ready to pull the trigger on Pendleton's website (thought that was the only place to get it from, figured directly from the source was as good as any). Luckily I was trying to find a size chart and came across it on Lucky Brand's site. Right now its 40% off, and if you sign up for their email list, you can get an extra 10% off your order as well. Planning on wearing it all winter :)

http://www.luckybrand.com/the-original-westerly/YLPA689.html

Hey Dudes!

Long time since my last post in here! ECCC 2017 is going on this weekend and after a year hiatus I'm going back as The Dude for it. A friend of mine hand-knitted me a new sweater using a pattern from online, which looks incredible. i just need to replace the zipper pull ring, not because it's not authentic but because it's a bit small and bends easily. The full sweater (XXL in size) used up about $100ish in wool yarn, better-than-good quality she assures me.

16711774_10206697812318052_2905633375903319720_n.jpg

i can find out which pattern she used for it if anyone is interested and it's not already one of the ones posted earlier in the thread.

Cheers!

EDIT:
Cosplay at the con was a big success! The new sweater went over well, as did the gelatin white russian prop (see info in this thread, page 18 on how to make one). I stuck with sneakers for comfort after blowing out the strap on my jelly sandals two years ago. I might modernize the look next time with a pair of clear Crocs (The Dude would totally wear Crocs)

17203167_1422378234459386_8242353893483585093_n.jpg

Last edited:
Any leads on the style of bowling ball bag used in the movie? I think i recall something earlier in this thread about it from a couple of years ago, but I was unable to find any details when reading through the comments.

I found a decent retro bag on eBay for $25 that will work well enough to pass scrutiny from all but the most observant fans. The one in the movie looks more like a 1960s (1950s??) style small all-leather bag with handles, but for now I went with the Don Carter brown bag from Brunswick (circa late '70s or early '80s). If nothing else, it will be perfect for the practicality need of carrying around a water bottle, portable battery charger, and other odds & ends.

IMG_5280.JPG

I'm also in the process of coming up with a different white russian prop to carry around. The gelatin recipe I came up with works great, but I'm doing my first out-of-city con (in Portland) this year and figured I needed something with a bit more stability (although I was willing to do some MacGuyver-style gelatin production in my hotel room with hot water from the coffee maker, ice to cool & chill it, and such). I'm trying this with silicone and plastic ice cubes and will post some pics (and instructions) once it's all done in about a week or two.

I'm also in the process of coming up with a different white russian prop to carry around. The gelatin recipe I came up with works great, but I'm doing my first out-of-city con (in Portland) this year and figured I needed something with a bit more stability (although I was willing to do some MacGuyver-style gelatin production in my hotel room with hot water from the coffee maker, ice to cool & chill it, and such). I'm trying this with silicone and plastic ice cubes and will post some pics (and instructions) once it's all done in about a week or two.

Silicone turned out well, but it's not the best material to work with, especially when wanting to put some fake ice cubes in it unless you do a solid fill (which i didn't, to save on material costs).
silicone.jpg

i found a thread elsewhere on here that recommended wax, though, which is brilliant! i still need to play around with getting the right wax ratios for the color i want (cheaper buying white and brown candles than a beige or anything scented). i have some tweaks i'm going to do still, mostly to the ice cubes (going to do an insert to rest them on for various angles and heights) -- and yay, wax is easy to melt back down to reuse, so even the mistakes can be redone!
wax.jpg

Both good points, but unfortunately cons around here don't take to kindly to people walking around with alcohol. /sigh Walking around with an iced coffee in a bar glass, though, works well!

I finalized the work (after a few months of bad attempts) of the wax versions. I'm totally ready for Rose City Comic Con in 2 months to try them out, along with a few other props and changes to costumes.

Hey Dudes. Wrapped up RCCC 2017 this last weekend with a 3-outfit run for The Dude. Sweater + purple tee + gym pants on day 1, sweater + grey tee + green plaid shorts on day 2, and bowling shirt + tan plaid shorts on day 3. I added a few things to my costumes this time around, including a handmade mourning band for the bowling shirt ensemble.

People were impressed with the wax White Russian prop, as well as the jelly sandals (had a ton of people ask me where i found them!). I also broke down and bought the official Pendleton sweater since I had a coupon code for their site. Hopefully it'll be worth the $$$ since i'll be wearing it a few more times, including when i officiate for my sister's wedding next year (as a Dudist priest and wearing the sweater for the ceremony).

I spaced on having someone take my photos from the con this time around, but managed to find a few on Instagram that people have given me permission to share. Enjoy!

21462515_10208015975831316_4622218748759578604_n.jpg

Hey Dudes. Wrapped up RCCC 2017 this last weekend with a 3-outfit run for The Dude. Sweater + purple tee + gym pants on day 1, sweater + grey tee + green plaid shorts on day 2, and bowling shirt + tan plaid shorts on day 3. I added a few things to my costumes this time around, including a handmade mourning band for the bowling shirt ensemble.

People were impressed with the wax White Russian prop, as well as the jelly sandals (had a ton of people ask me where i found them!). I also broke down and bought the official Pendleton sweater since I had a coupon code for their site. Hopefully it'll be worth the $$$ since i'll be wearing it a few more times, including when i officiate for my sister's wedding next year (as a Dudist priest and wearing the sweater for the ceremony).

I spaced on having someone take my photos from the con this time around, but managed to find a few on Instagram that people have given me permission to share. Enjoy!

View attachment 758612

Please tell me you'll be standing on a rug during the ceremony. Stellar job on the outfit btw.

Please tell me you'll be standing on a rug during the ceremony. Stellar job on the outfit btw.

hahaha! i should totally look into something for that. If nothing else, I have a persian rug mousepad (had it long before ever seeing TBL) that i could work in as a moment of levitty (more like a one-two punch with pulling out the sweater, then a "hang on a minute..." thing and pull it out and say it really ties the ceremony together) as i kick things off. great idea, man! thanks!

Doee anyone know where i could get the otomix shoes? I know they sell ones with a different design, but I of course want ones like in the movie

Doee anyone know where i could get the otomix shoes? I know they sell ones with a different design, but I of course want ones like in the movie

Those have been sold out years ago. You may get lucky as they pop up on eBay from time to time. You just have to wait for your size. You should be able to get them for about 400.00.

I ordered a reissued Pendleton Medium as that's what I normally wear according to the measurements on their website. The measurements for the size larger just seemed way too big.

Hopefully it has the Lebowski look on me. I'm not sure if Jeff Bridges wore a size larger or not. Hopefully I can return it for a larger size if necessary.

So, in wondering about the size. My wife owns many wool sweaters and she says they tend to stretch over time. So, is it possible that Bridges bought a size that actually fit him and over time it's stretched?

I mean, in these pictures, it seems pretty large on him.... but he's also owned this sweater for probably 30 years or more?

alg-big-lebowski-sweater-jpg.jpg

gallery-1489224747-gettyimages-651720486.jpg

SIDE NOTE: Fathom Events/TCM is showing "The Big Lebowski" in Theaters in August again for the 20th anniversary!! I've already bought tickets.

Last edited:
I ordered a reissued Pendleton Medium as that's what I normally wear according to the measurements on their website. The measurements for the size larger just seemed way too big.

Hopefully it has the Lebowski look on me. I'm not sure if Jeff Bridges wore a size larger or not. Hopefully I can return it for a larger size if necessary.

So, in wondering about the size. My wife owns many wool sweaters and she says they tend to stretch over time. So, is it possible that Bridges bought a size that actually fit him and over time it's stretched?

I mean, in these pictures, it seems pretty large on him.... but he's also owned this sweater for probably 30 years or more?

(photos snipped out for space)

I'm fairly certain the one he wore at John Goodman's Walk of Fame ceremony (and other events / talk shows) was a re-issue since the original was auctioned or on display in a museum or something, so don't think too much on it. ;)

I picked up the re-issue and it is a bit bigger than expected. Wool does stretch, especially if stored on a hangar where gravity and its own weight will pull on it. Pendleton's wool tends to be a bit sturdier, though, and won't stretch as much as knitting wool. (side note: a friend knitted me a Dude sweater using a pattern she found online and it's stretched a TON in the first 6 months due to its own weight.)

If you normally wear a medium, I'm sure you'll be fine and, over time, will be happy with its natural stretching.

IMG_5058-2.JPG

Alright, I got it in. Size Medium. Great sweater, great feel and damn warm. The fit seems decent. Thoughts?

I do think that a Large would give it more of a lewboski look but I also don't want a sweater that I can only wear when I'm being "the dude". I think it fits well.

There's no chance of this shrinking if I take it to the dry cleaners or get it wet in the rain? Maybe a stupid question, I've just never had a wool sweater like this.

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back