The Big Lebowski Costume Thread

Oh, right. I haven't been to a Lebowskifest (yet), so I hadn't considered the effects of Oat Sodas, Caucasians, and...uh...other things. :cool

If they were mine I'd combine that French Lavendar with either Bahama Blue or Ocean Blue to get more of a blue/violet color. The good thing is you're starting with white material, so you should get reasonably true colors no matter what you decide.

One thing to keep in mind--I'm not familiar with Dylon, but most of the dyes I've used require the use of hot water. If the pants are cotton, they might shrink even if they're used and have been washed numerous times.

I've used the Dylon before, it's good stuff. You do it in the washing machine, and so far it's always done good job with no shrinkage. So fingers crossed.I'll let you know how I get on!

5f92c1a2-4215-c1f1.jpg

What do you guys think?

Re: The Big Lebowski "The Dude" Costume Thread

Nice! And it doesn't look like they shrunk at all. Well done!

While I'm here, anyone have any luck finding a suitable "close enough" robe? All of the links previously posted lead to "no longer available". I'm basically having three problems:

Price - I've found a few that would work, but I really don't want to spend $100 or more for a robe I'll rarely wear.

Size - I'm 6'1" and on most of the robes I've found the sleeves would be too short. XL or XXL would probably do, but nobody seems to ever have them in stock (if they carry them at all).

Color - An obvious one. I've found robes in "mocha" or "champagne" that would do, but, again, wrong size or too expensive for me. I could easily buy an all white robe and dye it but, again, finding one in my size is proving to be difficult--if I have to dye one, an XXL would be necessary to account for shrinkage from the dyeing process.

I've given up on trying to find one with that rather unique "ribbed" weave; the only place I've seen them is in the photos posted on this thread. :unsure

If all else fails, there's always the "made-in-China-probably-not-officially-licensed" robe...

Dude_costume_robe.jpg

:lol

They come with the robe, as does the tee shirt. :rolleyes

Just for laughs I read a review posted on the site where I got that image. The guy was disappointed because the wig and beard weren't accurate...like you couldn't tell that by looking at the photo. :lol

I'd rather take that money for the costume and just buy a real robe so I can actually use it after Halloween. I plan on being The Dude for Halloween this year, and my brother is gonna be Walter. I've already written down a list of all the Dude's clothes and am watching some stuff on ebay right now. I don't wanna spend too much cash, but what I really want are those Otomix karate shoes as I don't feel like walking around in slippers (or jellies lol). Problem is they're hard to find. Well, if anything a pair of adidas karate shoes that look just like them will do fine. I have a pair of pajama pants that are the same exact style of shorts he wears towards the end of the film (blue and green checker pattern), and I have an orange v-neck that I'll probably wear. If not, I have some white V's.

The only thing I'm worried about is the hair. I don't feel like buying a wig, but my hair is far too short that it will be long enough by the time Halloween rolls around. I part it to the side right now, as the top is about 3 1/2-4 inches long, but it's much shorter on the sides and the back. I'm hoping that the facial hair, along with the rest of the costume (as well as the white russians I'll be drinking that night) will be enough to tip people off. For me it's getting through the summer without cutting it that's gonna be tough. I'll wait until the end of summer to start growing the facial hair, as 2 months is enough time for that to grow.

I'd rather take that money for the costume and just buy a real robe so I can actually use it after Halloween.
My thoughts exactly. They're asking quite a bit for such a low-end (and highly inaccurate) costume (the cheapest I've found is $60 U.S.), and you could easily buy a real robe for the same amount or less and get far more value for your money.

At this point I think I'm gonna go the other route and use a hooded sweatjacket instead (like the one The Dude is wearing the first time he meets with the "big" Lebowski). First, because I can't remember the last time I actually wore a bathrobe; I'd get far more use out of a sweatjacket. Second, because finding a white sweatjacket and dyeing it to the proper green color will probably be easier and less expensive at this point.

The only thing I'm worried about is the hair. I don't feel like buying a wig, but my hair is far too short that it will be long enough by the time Halloween rolls around. I part it to the side right now, as the top is about 3 1/2-4 inches long, but it's much shorter on the sides and the back. I'm hoping that the facial hair, along with the rest of the costume (as well as the white russians I'll be drinking that night) will be enough to tip people off. For me it's getting through the summer without cutting it that's gonna be tough. I'll wait until the end of summer to start growing the facial hair, as 2 months is enough time for that to grow.
My hair will be more than long enough by the time Halloween rolls around and, except for having to grow the "goatee" longer, so will my facial hair. My moustache and beard grow thicker than Bridges', so I'll actually have to trim my moustache back somewhat. My hair is a very dark brown though (admittedly with a little gray), so that will detract from the look a bit. If I stood a chance at winning some cash at a contest or if I was going to a Lebowskifest I'd consider having it bleached, but I don't want to go through the hassle just to hang out at a friend's party for Halloween. Besides, only a few people will know who I'll be dressed as anyway, so my hair color really won't be an issue. It will be fun to stay in character all night and keep them wondering though. :D

My problem, as far as Halloween is concerned, is that I'm an idiot. What I mean is, every year I start planning my costume months in advance, gather the necessary items, get it all ready, and every year I suddenly lose interest and decide I want to do something completely different in the second or third week of October. :lol This year...well, I guess I'll just have to abide. Besides, I can't think of a more comfortable way to spend Halloween than to be dressed as The Dude.

Last edited:

I'm at LebowskiFest Philadelphia right now, there's a few Dude's here. Just wondering if there might be anyone here.

^ Same here. I need to go to the Los Angeles Lebowskifest one of these days.

At the Theater of Living Arts in Philly for the first night, which is music and the movie screening.

Picked myself up a Japanese baseball shirt like the Dude wears.
246862_10150208468275892_657795891_7339581_7763255_n.jpg

The music they had was done by Chipocrite, which was songs from the soundtracks made with Gameboy technology, very techno-ey.
254045_10150208502485892_657795891_7340053_2269512_n.jpg

The Dude and his Special Lady Friend after the showing.
247466_10150208598340892_657795891_7341082_4211362_n.jpg

Mmmm... white russian...
254272_10150209231715892_657795891_7347457_3857844_n.jpg

This guy looked just like The Stranger (Sam Elliot), he even had a bottle of Sioux City Sarsparilla!
247892_10150209282080892_657795891_7348059_5501778_n.jpg

This guy was the Walter who won the costume contest, he got so excited when he saw that I had an actual Folgers tin.
252172_10150209320535892_657795891_7348561_6556421_n.jpg

This guy was dressed as an In 'N Out Burger fry cook. Awesome.
246938_10150209358555892_657795891_7348717_4066081_n.jpg

This guy was personally my favorite Dude there, we actually talked for quite a while, great guy.
249832_10150209340000892_657795891_7348648_3385470_n.jpg

A nihilist threatening to "****s me up!"
255020_10150209358770892_657795891_7348720_2373425_n.jpg

Me and my buddy, The Dude.
254530_10150209359165892_657795891_7348726_8152066_n.jpg

All in all, I had a pretty good time, just wish my buddies could've made it. Oh well, there's always next year. (And I hear whisperings of a possible NYC Fest near the end of the year.) Abide, everyone.

Found a good tshirt! Really ties the outfit together. Just need some of those sneaks now.
5f92c298-cdce-b22d.jpg

Outstanding, sir. And I think we might have the same slippers.

If you look around, you can find pairs of adidas martial arts shoes that are pretty darn close to the otomix shoes.

eg: These look pretty close and have laces.
$(KGrHqUOKiME3FSmp6TkBN68Mzr8pQ~~_12.JPG

Edit: Didn't want to double post, so here's some photos by the local news of the fest. http://www.myphl17.com/entertainment/lebowskifest-philadelphia/

Last edited:
Outstanding, sir. And I think we might have the same slippers.

If you look around, you can find pairs of adidas martial arts shoes that are pretty darn close to the otomix shoes.

Haha! Slipper Club! Man they are super comfy!
Cheers I'll have a look at the adidas, not had any luck with the otomix.
Still looking for a robe too.
Glad you had a good time at the fest! Looks loads of fun.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back