Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast
Subscribe
    May 7, 2011, 8:21 AM - #76

You guys seen this?! Wow! Man I wish I had the funds to have a punt.
    http://www.icollector.com/Jeff-Bridg...wski_i10499934
    May 10, 2011, 11:06 AM - #77

More sweater news!!
    http://mobile.oregonlive.com/advorg/...tguid=2m12JuxD

'The Big Lebowski' cardigan: The sequel, from Pendleton Woolen Mills
    Kristi Turnquist, The Oregonian

View All Photos
    Posted: 05/09/2011 6:00 PM
    As any fan of "The Big Lebowski" knows, "the Dude" had his own personal style. There's the rug that tied the room together. White Russians, his cocktail of choice. And his distinctive sweater, a chunky-knit, zip-front cardigan.

Since it debuted in 1998, Joel and Ethan Coen's movie has built a fervent cult of followers who have seen it a zillion times, can recite dialogue from memory, and worship the Dude, the slacker character played with shaggy aplomb by Jeff Bridges.

But even the most diehard "Lebowski" scholars may not know that the Dude's cardigan was made by Oregon's Pendleton Woolen Mills. Or that the original sweater worn by Bridges in the movie is going to be auctioned off May 14-15 in Beverly Hills as part of a multimillion-dollar showbiz memorabilia auction.

As the auction listing for the sweater says: "There were four sweaters made for the production -- this vintage sweater and three modern copies, according to costume designer Mary Zophres. Bridges wore this vintage sweater exclusively during the entire production, preferring to wear it all the time and thus delve deeper into the 'Dudeness' required of the role."

While it will probably sell for big bucks -- the opening bid is $4,000 to $6,000 -- the original sweater was, let's face it, a bit weathered. The Dude wasn't all that persnickety about his wardrobe. But you can also get a brand-spanking new "Dude Cardigan" this September. Pendleton is bringing back a tribute version of the design, inspired by the original, priced at $188.

"We had already decided to bring it back," says Debbie Coryell, manager for men's communications at Pendleton. "We had no idea about the auction."

Obviously, like the man himself, the Dude's cardigan abides.

It says 'inspired by' so I guess it won't be a proper copy, which would be a shame, guess we'll see!
  3. Larry Young is offline Larry Young
    May 17, 2011, 12:33 PM - Re: The Big Lebowski "The Dude" Costume Thread #78

Pendleton Woolen Mills: THE DUDE SHAWL CARDIGAN

I'm glad I've got one already, because $188 for this:

isn't even in the realm of close, and I'm not an SA nazi.
    From
    Southern California
    May 18, 2011, 2:03 AM - Re: The Big Lebowski "The Dude" Costume Thread #79

Well, that blows. How hard could it possibly have been for Pendleton to recreate a sweater from their own back catalogue?
  5. Larry Young is offline Larry Young
    May 18, 2011, 2:07 AM - Re: The Big Lebowski "The Dude" Costume Thread #80

I agree. WTH, Pendleton?
    From
    Southern California
    May 20, 2011, 2:24 AM - Re: The Big Lebowski "The Dude" Costume Thread #81

Y'know, if someone had told me even as recently as a month ago that one day I'd be thinking of purchasing PVC sandals and plaid shorts for myself, I'd have thought they were more than a little off in the head. Then I stumble across this thread, and...well, you all know what I mean.
  7. Member Since
    May 2011
    May 20, 2011, 6:29 AM - Re: The Big Lebowski "The Dude" Costume Thread #82

Hey guys, great thread!
    I've been looking everywhere to find these trousers:

Would anyone of you know where to get these or what they're called?
    thanks a lot!
    May 21, 2011, 5:56 AM - #83

sheep said: View Post
    Hey guys, great thread!
    I've been looking everywhere to find these trousers:

Would anyone of you know where to get these or what they're called?
    thanks a lot!
    Hi!
    eBay is gonna be your best bet. Search under '80s pants' I've seen close matches over the last few weeks. I found a nice pair which I hope will work well for the blue/purple pair he wears in the Jackie Treehorn bit. They need dyeing is all. Will post some pics once they get here!
    Good luck man.
    Last edited by captjamesbrooke; May 21, 2011 at 6:18 AM.
    May 21, 2011, 6:05 AM - #84

Here's what I found last week. The White ones I'm gonna dye, need to work out what dye colour to use first. The other pair look okish too, I'll see how they are in hand. I'm more excited about the White pair though. They look 'right' somehow!

From
    Southern California
    May 22, 2011, 2:21 AM - Re: The Big Lebowski "The Dude" Costume Thread #85

captjamesbrooke said: View Post
    I'm more excited about the White pair though. They look 'right' somehow!
    I concur. In fact, I wouldn't dye them, I'd leave them as-is. They're so "Lebowski-esque" that you might ruin them by changing the color.
    May 22, 2011, 3:21 AM - #86

Zombie_61 said: View Post
    I concur. In fact, I wouldn't dye them, I'd leave them as-is. They're so "Lebowski-esque" that you might ruin them by changing the color.
    Mmmmmm, you might be right. What I'll do is post some pics when they get here and well see what we think.
    May 22, 2011, 5:15 PM - Re: The Big Lebowski "The Dude" Costume Thread #87

Those white pants look great, man! If you're gonna dye them anything, I'd dye them grey, but they look great like that.

And that Pendleton Sweater? Ridiculous. If it was a dead-on replica, I could see spending two hundred buck on it, but not for something that far off.

I'm heading to Lebowski Fest Philadelphia in two weeks, so hopefully I'll see some of you guys there, if not, I'll post pictures!

Abide, Dudes.
    From
    Southern California
    May 22, 2011, 11:14 PM - Re: The Big Lebowski "The Dude" Costume Thread #88

CrowTeeRobot said: View Post
    Those white pants look great, man! If you're gonna dye them anything, I'd dye them grey, but they look great like that.
    If he was to dye them, a medium grey, medium grey/blue, or medium blue/purple might work, and they would be similar to the pants Bridges wore in the scene when the Dude met with Jackie Treehorn; as usual, it's difficult to tell exactly what colors most of Dude's wardrobe items were.
    Last edited by Zombie_61; May 24, 2011 at 2:23 AM.
    May 24, 2011, 12:34 AM - Re: The Big Lebowski "The Dude" Costume Thread #89

If he was to dye them, a medium grey, medium grey/blue, or medium blue/purple might work, and they would be similar to the pants Bridges wore in the scene when dude met with Jackie Treehorn; as usual, it's difficult to tell exactly what colors most of Dude's wardrobe items were.
    Yeah, the colorization of the whole movie seems to throw things off, but was looking through the cover art and came across this photo, which may or may not be more reliable than the in film colors.

From
    Southern California
    May 24, 2011, 2:22 AM - Re: The Big Lebowski "The Dude" Costume Thread #90

I don't think that poster is a particularly good gauge for colors. First, look at the sweater--the poster makes it look like the base color is white or off-white (on my monitor, anyway), and we all know it's more of a tan color. Likewise, the pants on the poster appear to be shades of tan or brown, but in the film they're predominantly more of a blue/violet color.

At this point, considering the film is now 12 years old and the era in which it's set a bit older, unless we know the specifics of each item like the Vuarnet sunglasses, the Pendleton sweater, and the Sarraizienne Sun T-Bar PVC sandals or Otomix shoes, unless we happen to stumble onto something on evilBay or in a thrift store that is an exact match, I think the best we can hope for is something that's Dude-esque. Besides, the only people who would really know the difference are here on the RPF and, perhaps, a few folks at a Lebowskifest.
    From
    Syracuse, NY
    May 24, 2011, 7:14 AM - Re: The Big Lebowski "The Dude" Costume Thread #91

a few folks at a Lebowskifest.
    Trust me, they're a little to deep into the Oat Soda's by the time the costume contest comes around to REALLY know the difference.
    May 24, 2011, 8:30 AM - #92

Thanks for all the help guys! Pants just turned up, will get them on and post pics later. I must say they are looking good. Reckon I will dye the White ones though, hopefully between us we can work out a good colour choice!
    May 24, 2011, 8:38 AM - #93

Here we go!

May 24, 2011, 8:51 AM - #94

How about this...

Too light?
    Last edited by captjamesbrooke; May 24, 2011 at 9:00 AM.
    May 24, 2011, 12:17 PM - Re: The Big Lebowski "The Dude" Costume Thread #95

Outstanding! And once again you have made me jealous, sir!
    May 24, 2011, 12:37 PM - #96

CrowTeeRobot said: View Post

Outstanding! And once again you have made me jealous, sir!
    Thanks man! What do you reckon to the dye job plan?
    May 24, 2011, 12:42 PM - Re: The Big Lebowski "The Dude" Costume Thread #97

Honestly, you could leave them like that, but if anything, using that Lavendar dye would probably look good, seeing as it would more subtle and closer to grey and purple.
    From
    Southern California
    May 25, 2011, 2:14 AM - Re: The Big Lebowski "The Dude" Costume Thread #98

AdamNightmare said: View Post
    Trust me, they're a little to deep into the Oat Soda's by the time the costume contest comes around to REALLY know the difference.
    Oh, right. I haven't been to a Lebowskifest (yet), so I hadn't considered the effects of Oat Sodas, Caucasians, and...uh...other things.

captjamesbrooke said: View Post
    Reckon I will dye the White ones though, hopefully between us we can work out a good colour choice!
    If they were mine I'd combine that French Lavendar with either Bahama Blue or Ocean Blue to get more of a blue/violet color. The good thing is you're starting with white material, so you should get reasonably true colors no matter what you decide.

One thing to keep in mind--I'm not familiar with Dylon, but most of the dyes I've used require the use of hot water. If the pants are cotton, they might shrink even if they're used and have been washed numerous times.
  24. Larry Young is offline Larry Young
    May 25, 2011, 2:18 AM - Re: The Big Lebowski "The Dude" Costume Thread #99

Oh, right. I haven't been to a Lebowskifest (yet), so I hadn't considered the effects of Oat Sodas, Caucasians, and...uh...other things.
    "Did The Dude burn one on the way over?"
    From
    Southern California
    May 25, 2011, 2:30 AM - Re: The Big Lebowski "The Dude" Costume Thread #100

That's a great anecdote, isn't it? It makes a director's job that much easier when an actor knows the character so well that he would take something like that into consideration. Then again, I recall an interview with Bridges in which he stated The Dude was the one character he'd portrayed that was most like himself, so maybe it was more personal experience than knowledge of the character.