The Big Lebowski Costume Thread

IMG_0654.JPGHas anyone any insight on the Dude's olive green hoodie?

Last edited:
Has anyone any insight on the Dude's olive green hoodie?
Uhhh...it's green, and it's a hoodie? :D

But seriously, having viewed a number of images from the movie I'm not convinced it's "olive" green, only that it's a faded/muted mid-green. The only things I do know are a) the fabric, fleece lining, and drawstrings are all the same color, and b) there are no visible logos. Apart from that, if you find something that looks "right" to you, grab it.

Uhhh...it's green, and it's a hoodie? :D

But seriously, having viewed a number of images from the movie I'm not convinced it's "olive" green, only that it's a faded/muted mid-green. The only things I do know are a) the fabric, fleece lining, and drawstrings are all the same color, and b) there are no visible logos. Apart from that, if you find something that looks "right" to you, grab it.

Thanks Mate, I appreciate it

How's the fit on the original Pendletons? The Dude's looks a bit big on him.
I normally wear a medium but wondering if I need a large to get the Dude's look.

Hey guys. Just wondering... Has anyone recently found any good match for The Dude's bathrobe? I've been digging around Amazon and found one with a waffle pattern that I might just have to settle with, but nothing ribbed like the one he wears. I saw a link somewhere in this thread for one at Bed Bath & Beyond that was really close, but it doesn't seem to be available anymore.

Hey guys. Just wondering... Has anyone recently found any good match for The Dude's bathrobe? I've been digging around Amazon and found one with a waffle pattern that I might just have to settle with, but nothing ribbed like the one he wears. I saw a link somewhere in this thread for one at Bed Bath & Beyond that was really close, but it doesn't seem to be available anymore.
I got tired of searching and not finding anything that was even close, and since I needed a new bathrobe anyway I finally settled on this one which is probably very similar to the one you mentioned (if not the same one). The color is at least a little too light to be a good match to The Dude's robe, but it's good enough for me, it's lightweight, and it's comfortable.

I got tired of searching and not finding anything that was even close, and since I needed a new bathrobe anyway I finally settled on this one which is probably very similar to the one you mentioned (if not the same one). The color is at least a little too light to be a good match to The Dude's robe, but it's good enough for me, it's lightweight, and it's comfortable.

Yeah, this is the one I just saw the other day. It's pretty much the same thing, just a different color.

The funny thing is, this one that you're talking about I already own. I bought it a couple years ago when I put together a Dude costume for Halloween. So, I'm considering just dying it to get it at least closer to the actual color.

...The funny thing is, this one that you're talking about I already own. I bought it a couple years ago when I put together a Dude costume for Halloween. So, I'm considering just dying it to get it at least closer to the actual color.
I thought about dyeing mine, but dyeing requires hot water and with the robe being 100% cotton odds are it'll shrink so much that our dog would be able to wear it. :unsure

I thought about dyeing mine, but dyeing requires hot water and with the robe being 100% cotton odds are it'll shrink so much that our dog would be able to wear it. :unsure
Since it's not a very dark color, you could mix the dye bath and let it cool down before putting the robe in, then use a cold rinse. It should avoid shrinkage, but that's just like my opinion man.

Since it's not a very dark color, you could mix the dye bath and let it cool down before putting the robe in, then use a cold rinse. It should avoid shrinkage, but that's just like my opinion man.
I'm not sure that would work. I don't know much about dyeing fabric, but I think the hot water loosens the fibers of the threads the material is woven from in order for the dye's color particulates to lodge between the fibers, then the cold water rinse after dyeing tightens those fibers up again, trapping the color particulates in the material. That being said, it probably couldn't hurt to try it. :D

I'm not sure that would work. I don't know much about dyeing fabric, but I think the hot water loosens the fibers of the threads the material is woven from in order for the dye's color particulates to lodge between the fibers, then the cold water rinse after dyeing tightens those fibers up again, trapping the color particulates in the material. That being said, it probably couldn't hurt to try it. :D
I did it with 100% wool and it worked like a champ, not sure about cotton though.

Anyone have an opinion on the sizing of the Pendleton sweaters? The Dude's looks big on him but that might just be the fit. I'd hate to order a my normal size and have a snug fit.

If/when I order one I'm going to go up one size just to be sure. I'd really rather have one made by Pendleton, but they're out of my price range.

Hello everyone,
Can anyone help determine which versions of the authentic pendleton is the best one? I've noticed a bunch of different tags on ebay.. some blue, some white, I know the brand new one is marked made in china but what do the colors mean on the old versions?
Here are some examples..
http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/jakAAOSwIrNWFTuR/s-l1600.jpg
http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/fjIAAOSwRLZULjhL/s-l1600.jpg

Edit: according to this:
http://vintagefashionguild.org/label-resource/pendleton/
The 70's one may be white and the 80's one may be blue? It also states women's clothes are white and men's are blue. Did this ever come in women's?
Anyone know if there was a change in manufacturing quality during that time period?

On a side note
If you want a brand new one from the pendleton website, they have 25% off through monday if you enter the code HURRY.
https://www.pendleton-usa.com/produ...L-WESTERLEY/173082/sc/1727/c/1727/pc/1814.uts

Last edited:
slightly off topic.... I was out walking the dog the other day... and came inside, looked in the mirror and saw this. This was incredibly unintentional. My wife was quite amused. It's no where near SA but apparently this is how I dress naturally, haha.
858181_562834653726531_913344033_o.jpg

If/when I order one I'm going to go up one size just to be sure. I'd really rather have one made by Pendleton, but they're out of my price range.

very interested to know. I have my eye on a great looking pendleton (not a true Lebowski but it has a good vibe) but it's a large. I normally wear a medium in everything ( 5'8 , 180lbs).

Lebowski's sweater just looks a bit big on him... that could jus the how the sweaters look in general. So if The Dude is wearing a true to size sweater then I'll know not to waste my money.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back