The Big Lebowski Costume Thread

Hey Dudes, Pendleton is once again producing the sweater. The knit pattern adjacent to the zipper looks different, but otherwise it appears to be a faithful reproduction (unlike their "tribute" sweater from 2011). At the moment it looks like it's only available through Pendleton's website, but if you have an extra $239 lying around and you want a real Pendleton Dude sweater...

ahh man, i wish i had $250 to drop on something like that! as it was, the $90 replica sweater set me back... but hey, the holidays are coming up. i can drop hints to the various family members, right? ;)

in other news, the replica sunglasses with TBL branding found on Amazon and other sites aren't worth picking up. i had them nicely wrapped in my soft robe inside of a gym bag on the way to a party and the frame snapped. oddly, it wasn't even in a logical spot in a corner or hinged area, but on the rim right above a lens. the plastic also doesn't set well with super glue, so repairs might be tough. i highly vote for going Dave's route and check out the Sunglass Warehouse website for their "Oversized Celebrity Style #1915" ($15.95). they also have a fall special going on right now to save a few bucks (basically, shipping cost). i ordered a pair myself tonight to have them ready by local convention time.

hey dudes back here for some info if your on a robe search like me and il say the hardest to find in the big lebowski costume well theres this one thats a womans but its cottan so you can dye it it comes in white so you dont have to bleach it or anything but heres the link but you should pic the plus size cause it looks better you may have to tweak the belt loops but other than that its pretty close just the fabric isnt exact the dudes robe seem to have a weird kinda cottan type fabric like more of towl type thing but any way here is the link http://www.overstock.com/Clothing-S...efccid=K6KDLBJC6AOK2KSNNX3M5YZ7V4&searchidx=0 and there is another possibal lead when i was on the dudeism website forum they were talking about the dudes robe and one said that she mett the guy who started dudeism oliver benjamin aka dudely lama and said he showed her the tag and and she took a picture of it but she didnt say what brand or what ever she was being lazy f*#k about it and said to remind her what it was on her pictures well i couldint you had to be a member to the forum well i tryed to join and it never sent me my email verification to join so yea i couldint find out but maybe some one can join and bring the info back il put a link of the forum page where she talks about it so you can see for your self http://dudeism.com/smf/general-discussion/the-dude's-bathrobe/15/ her name is on there is hannahdude and on her little pic thing shes with the dudely lama well man that about all the leads i have

she has a facebook 2 but i felt kinda weird to ask her hey you were talking about the dudes robe in a forum seem to stalker ish but **** it maybe some one could ask her but thats all the leads dudes keep doings J's and drinking white russions

Don't know if anyone has already posted this, but here's another site that offers the pajama pants, I bought Sauls Pj's from Pineapple Express from this site and they turned out AWESOME!!! I still wear them all the time, comfy as hell!

lebowski_pants.jpghttp://www.coloresdelpueblo.org/Clothing/Pants4.htm

Hey gang.

I'm starting to get stuff put together for Emerald City ComiCon (ECCC), coming up in 3 months. I've been having bad luck tracking down a retro Folgers can for a cheap price (and cheaper s/h charges!) On a whim, I decided a few weeks ago to design and print up my own label. In the end, I took an empty Swiss Miss hot chocolate can and worked off of its dimensions. I could barely find decent reference photos, let alone any pre-made lookalike labels. Finding pieces of actual artwork to use for the label was a headache, as was a lot of the tweaking and recoloring I had to do by hand (i'm good with Photoshop but no professional!)

Original can from the movie:
snapshot1.pngsnapshot2.png

Front & Back of my prop (with Dude Pop! figure for scale):
IMG_3177.JPGIMG_3178.JPG

I still need to get some better quality paper (and fix my print colors), but for a stand-in prop I loved the way it turned out. I had an inspirational idea to cover the paper seam with a folded piece of foil to look like a coffee can's metal sealing seam. I might try to tape some plastic of some sort over the label to 1) give it that shiny "metallic" look, and 2) give it a layer of protection from dirty hands, rain, etc.

Last edited:
there isn't a 100% authentic shirt out there (as far as i know), so i'd say it really doesn't matter too much. as some of us have talked about above, being close enough to the original is going to pass muster with 99.9% of the people who see it and know what it's from. I'd go with the lebowskifest.com's if you are unsure since they're the main fan site and that one looks a bit closer to the movie (says American Apparel tee) while the one from slgcomic.com says they printed them up themselves.

i picked up the one from tvstoreonline.com and it's further from the original than either of those (art on the front is much bigger than it should be, it's full long-sleeve not 3/4)), but people who recognized the shirt when i've worn it out of costume (it's comfortable!) knew it was from Big Lebowski without being nitpicky about it.

If anyone is interested in owning an original Folgers Can identical to the one used in the movie, i have one for sale on a certain "well known" auction site. Type in "Big Lebowski Folgers Can" in search.

220120157716.jpg

It needs to go to a good home where a Dude or Walter will appreciate it.
All that's needed is to convert the clear plastic lid to blue and then they are ready to hold Donny (figuratively speaking of course!)

All the best
=M=

I came up with a brilliant idea recently. When I was carrying around a faux white russian -- watered down coffee & cream -- at a convention, it was too easy to get bumped into and spill it. I wanted to have one with me at ECCC this year (which has more people and hard to maneuver at times), so I thought how can I do that without spillage and without carrying a container for refills. Lo! While making jello shots recently I thought "why not do that?" I planned it out last week and tried a test run today, which turned out extremely well!

What's needed:
- 3 packets of Knox unflavored gelatin
- splash of coffee or black tea (extra strong)
- splash of milk, plus a few drops
- ice cube tray
- drink tumbler or short drinking glass (bucket glass, whiskey glass)

white russian.jpg

You'll need to do this is two separate batches, about 4+ hours apart. Start with the faux ice cubes. Heat up 1 cup of water. Mix one packet of gelatin in a bowl with the water. Add just a few drips of milk (it'll give it a slightly cloudy color). Don't use more than 5 drips, though. An eye dropper works best for this if you have one, otherwise just pour some milk in a cup and use a spoon to dip in and get just a little on it and add slowly. Pour into the ice cube tray (spray with Pam helps to get them out later!), filling one cube at a time to get full-sized cubes. Put in the fridge and let chill for at least 2 hours, preferably 4 - 6+. Makes about 8 - 10 cubes, depending on tray size.

Using a plastic knife or small rubber / silicone spatula, remove each ice cube one at a time and put in your drinking glass. Mine took 7-8 cubes to fill. Arrange them so they are at various angles on top of each other, much like ice would be when put in a glass. Stagger at least a couple on the top so they are at different heights. Put the glass of faux ice cubes in the refrigerator for now.

(you won't need a full 1 cup measurement for this next part, but you can do 3/4 if you want to be safe. mine only used about 1/3 cup of the 1 cup i made. it will also make the gelatin a bit thicker when using less water, which can be helpful for longevity!)

Heat up 1 cup water so it just starts to steam but not boil. Mix with 2 packets of gelatin in a bowl. Stir in the splash of coffee, black tea, or other dark brown liquid (p.s. do NOT use soy sauce; i tried that once and it ends up smelling foul after a few hours). You want the color to look brown but still clear enough to see through (much like a cup of tea and not a cup of coffee). I used about 1/2 shot of Kahlua to get the right look, but next time I'll use coffee (cheaper to use!) and likely need about as much or more. Stir in a splash of milk. Start with maybe 1 teaspoon, but then add more as desired. You want it to look creamy but not diluting the brown color too much. Let the mix cool down a little bit for about 5+ minutes. You want it to be cool to the touch but not starting to gel; this will help to keep it from melting gelatin ice cubes. Pour over the glass of ice cubes and fill high enough so the top cubes look like they are floating. Leave some space (about 1/2 inch or so) at the top of the glass; don't fill to the rim. Put in the fridge and chill until ready to use; about 4+ hours.

I found that it helped to have another glass filled with ice and milk prepped as a visual reference. Hope that helps people for conventions and parties that won't have real Caucasians to drink. :)

Last edited:
Don't know if anyone else saw this, but Jeff Bridges was on Conan to promote his album, and he brought with him his gel shoes from the Big Lebowski. So, if anyone wanted a good look at 'em, here you go.

Untitled.png

Don't know if anyone else saw this, but Jeff Bridges was on Conan to promote his album, and he brought with him his gel shoes from the Big Lebowski. So, if anyone wanted a good look at 'em, here you go.

View attachment 436017
Those things sure have "yellowed" over the last 16 years. That said, they're still in pretty good condition for jelly sandals; I'm guessing he doesn't wear them often.

Anyone ideas on a wig and a beard?
Grow 'em? :D

But seriously, almost any wig shop can probably provide and style a wig that'll get you in the ballpark. The mustache and goatee might be more difficult unless you have a shop in your area that specializes in stage makeups, or can find one online. Wigs and stage makeup supplies can get expensive, so be prepared to either dish out some bones, or clams, or whatever you call them, or to look like this:

Dude-wig-and-beard_zpsnqebgzgq.jpg

ECCC 2015 is almost over here in Seattle. My year-long (well, off & on work during a year) of the costumes for it were a HUGE success. I had several comments about how authentic of a Dude my cosplay was. So I just wanted to take a second and thank everyone for input, guidance, and feedback for the last 12+ months. THANK YOU, ALL!

I will say that (iconic) props really do help a lot for cosplay purposes with The Dude, more because people would see the costume first but as soon as they'd say something like "Dude..!" i'd lift my faux White Russian [see above gelatin prop] in salute and they'd cheer a little more at that, as well as when they didn't spot my Folgers can -- yeah, ok that should be more a prop for Walter, but...! -- and make comments about poor Donny.

(apologies for not having any pics of me solo in costume)

11096698_10202825500592679_4890404419796832162_n.jpg 11083635_10202829983104739_5294327023771230443_n.jpg11133656_10202846863446737_198115759886787150_n.jpg

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back