The Big Lebowski Costume Thread

Yo yo, Trudy, what size pant did you have? I have a size Large that I'm returning in exchange for a Medium and adding a Medium Pineapple Express pant to the order. I can pull off the look of that character too.

Great to see so much action on this thread!! Not to hijack, but with all the costume/prop/what-have-you discussions lately, is anybody goin' to the Tampa Lebowski Fest this weekend? If so, feel free to PM me, maybe we'll run into each other there. My special lady friend and I will be there in appropriate garb both nights.

How's this?

pagenet.jpg

Attachments

• pagenet.jpg
    pagenet.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 149
Last edited:
Trudy, Eclipsedave:
From what I gather, you each just replica Dude pajama pants, from ColoresDelPueblo
Big Lebowski pants

Can you tell me, did your pants arrive with the right leg being made "upside down" so that the pattern order on the material didn't match the original dude pants?

The material pattern looks a good match for the original, but the my right leg has the pattern in reverse order (like they cut the material "upside down" - 180 degrees opposite from what would provide the correct order). My pants look the same as shown in the pic on their web-page, which is shown below on the right:

[URL=http://s1148.photobucket.com/user/sigmfsk2/media/therpf/pand-order_zps6ca56c4d.jpg.html][/URL]

I just got a size M, and need a few more inches in the length, so was going to send back to them for an L, but I'd want an L with the correct pattern order on the right leg. I'm wondering if they sometimes just get one of the legs "upside down" (lack of quality control), or maybe they always specifically make the right leg reverse pattern (strict quality control for the wrong thing).

Last edited:
Hi Sig,
Attached is an image of my pants, size Large, which I am soon exchanging for a Medium.
2014-02-02 11.19.24.png
I'm only around 5'5", so the waist is a more critical fit for me. I think it's probably a matter of "strict quality control for the wrong thing". The rep at Colores is super cool and she said the women who sew these truly benefit from the sales. She said it might be some time before they have Mediums in stock. I'm with you, Sig. I'd like to order custom Mediums with screen-accurate orientation and I bet the ladies at Colores would oblige. This is what we do as hardcore achievers. LOL
I'm also including an image of the mustard thermal I received from eBay seller basics-2012. It appears way too orange, IMO. The khaki version they offer appears more mustard, to me. But I want to hear from you, because I'm debating on exchanging it for the khaki. (It's not the screen-accurate J.Crew version.)
Ebay "mustard":
20140202_105449-1.jpg
Ebay khaki:
Screenshot_2014-02-02-11-27-52-1.png
Original Dude:
62865_0.jpeg
I'm also including images of The Dude's bowling pin pipe, next to the Chameleon pipes offered currently. I believe The Dude's pipe is solid white ceramic, while I know for a fact that the Chameleon(great company, btw) pipes are clear glass with white frit blown inside. Frit is tiny specks of glass. Lots of frit can appear as a solid color from a distance.
PicsArt_1390928162041.jpg

Thanks for the pic eclipsedave. If I understand correctly, your pants have a correct order right leg, but a swapped left leg:

I'm thinking that in order to minimize wasted fabric, they cut out a left leg and a right leg 180 degrees from each other. And it's just a tossup which way they happened to cut it as to which leg gets the correct order. But that's just a guess. I think I'd be happiest with a correct pattern order size Medium (for waist and fit), with an extra 6" in the inseam length, unhemmed at the bottom, and I'll hem them myself to the correct length. I'll contact ColoresDelPueblo and see what they can do for me.

I'll also ask them if they can do something a little more purple (instead of dark brown) for the brown stripe. If it's all hand made, maybe it won't be too much trouble to change it up a little.

For the mustard thermal, I hesitate to offer an opinion, as sometimes its really hard to tell with pictures. But my opinion is the same as what I believe yours is:
comparing
the ebay mustard (1st pic) to original dude (3rd pic)
and
the ebay khaki (2nd pic) to original dude (3rd pic)

the mustard looks too orange, and the khaki is a much better color match.

Last edited:
I dig your style, Sig...I'm between opting for the khaki and bleaching out the mustard. What to do. I appreciate your input. I might even try to find a screen-accurate J Crew thermal in white(if they made them) and dye it mustard.
Here's my hair and beard progress:
nailed it.jpg

Last edited:
I dig your style, Sig...I'm between opting for the khaki and bleaching out the mustard. What to do. I appreciate your input. I might even try to find a screen-accurate J Crew thermal in white(if they made them) and dye it mustard.

With my limited skills, I'd always prefer dying over bleaching. And always prefer buying the matching color over dying. It just seems that adding dye is simpler/safer/easier to get the tint just right.

I sent an email to ColoresDelPuebo. I didn't ask them about changing the color of the pants (brown stripe vs. purplish). I think I'll just put a light tint of purple across the entire pants, which should get it looking more as I remember them

weightlifting-pants.jpg

Here's my hair and beard progress:
View attachment 281647

Dude, that's some good progress! My hair is too short to even try to get something going.

I found a pair of ladies nurse scrubs (size 16W) that were the right color and size for me at the Salvation Army. I just need to add a faux 'pullstring' on the waistband to match now. They are a nice sage green, I will probably fade them a bit more in the wash after I soak them in a pail with a very diluted color bleach. $3.99!
nHt8ATk.jpg

j0gDucN.jpg

Assuming they're women's by the size, 16W is a women's size. Men's sizes tend to be labeled XS, S, M, XL, XXL.

I'm going out on a limb and saying they're nursing scrubs.

Oops, did some googling. These are Alfred Dunner pull on pants - ladies pants from J.C. Penny's. Still, the right size and color for me - and since the Dude tends to work a lot of women's clothing articles into his wardrobe like the jelly sandals, I think he'd be ok with it. :)

20140204_114317.jpg
Otomix arrived today. Check yours for damage. I didn't even have to try them on to know that they are way too small, possibly 2 Euro sizes too small. But I'm contacting them regarding the damage. It was only this part of the left shoe, but it's significant enough to return for an exchange, especially considering how much these cost.

Assuming they're women's by the size, 16W is a women's size...
That, and the fact that the Alfred Dunner label says "woman" at the bottom. :D

By the way, jelly sandals were considered to be "women's clothing" almost exclusively here in the U.S.; at the height of their popularity they were worn by men and women almost equally in Europe and other parts of the world. I wouldn't wear then for long periods of time because I have a bad back and need shoes with more support, but I was surprised by how comfortable mine were.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back