The Big Lebowski Costume Thread

Re: The Big Lebowski "The Dude" Costume Thread

Can anyone help me with these? Making my brother a "Dude In A Box" for Christmas and I am desperate for the sweater but the prices are killing me ... I have got him jelly sandals, a cd of whale songs, a bowling shirt and a rug mousemat to really tie his desk together, so far.

he colour looks "off" to me but maybe it is just the photo ...?

Vintage Pendleton Cowichan Wool Cardigan Sweater by IndianvsIndian

Thanks guys :) x

Cool first post, and your brother's gonna be one lucky Dude! :lol

Yeah, that sweater is definitely not the right color, and although it's a genuine Pendleton, I'd consider this replica for a little more (if you can't find the real deal at a decent price on eBay):

The Dudes Sweater

BTW, Welcome to The RPF!

Art
'Jon8712'

Thanks and hello :)

I'm REALLY struggling, I had one Watching on eBay for about £50 and I could kick myself for missing out :\ I don't think he would care TOO much about colours, as long as the general idea is there - I think it is more me that is bothered about getting it right, being a fan - and if I'm going to do it I want to do it right!

I also got him ordained :) I think once I have the sweater and some sunglasses I will feel better. I'm going to buy him tickets to the local bowling place too and make some "weed" (herbs and shiz) and stuff to make White Russians. Then I think I am DONE :) (though might be tempted to get a robe ... and other stuff haha)

Nicola.

Edit -- and weightlifting pants, but again am really struggling getting anything vaguely similiar. ******** UK!

LOL, I'm also 'ordained' in the CotLDDs.

The weightlifting pants are hard to find here in the States, too. The best most have come up with is to scour thrift stores and eBay looking for something similar, as you've porobably seen earlier in this thread.

As far as the sweater, the pattern is dead-on, just the color difference in the base sweater...so it should work given what you've written. A heckuva present, IMO.

Good luck!!

Art
'Jon8712'

the_dude_by_jcbishop.jpg

me and my buddy a few years ago for halloween. shoes aren't accurate for the rest of the outfit scene, but i figured the dude can mix'n'match.

has anyone bought the 80's tee version that could post pics? The reviews say that its accurate, but the "Z's" on the pattern seem to go opposite ways on the sweater

has anyone bought the 80's tee version that could post pics? The reviews say that its accurate, but the "Z's" on the pattern seem to go opposite ways on the sweater
Wow, good catch! It appears to only be that way on the left front panel; the pattern on the rest of the sweater matches the original. Still, considering the difficulty I've had in finding an original in my size, if I had an extra $200 to spend I'd definitely think about getting one.

**** it dude, lets go bowling.
Genius. The big lebowski is one of my favourite movies. Great costume idea.

The shipping for the 80's tee version is ridiculous to the UK so passing on that one :( I've managed to find one on a forum that someone is selling but he is asking $100 shipping to the UK so I'm undecided on that one as yet. I will post the link later for anyone interested :) I may just get many other Dudey things and quietly sob over a picture of a Pendleton Cowichan.

I know this is a costume thread but can anyone help with any other little bits and pieces I can get that aren't particularly related to clothes? I have found a Ralph's card (after there being NONE on eBay for ages). Just little things that add to a Dude In A Box :)

Nic.x

Oh no, he wants $100 for the sweater AND shipping. I am equally elated/suspicious.

Edit - got it :) The colours aren't spot on (it's the red and black pattern) but for £60 I'm having it :)

Last edited:

Does anyone have an ACTIVE link for the Dudes' sweater pattern? Every one I go to is deader than Donnie!

Does anyone have an ACTIVE link for the Dudes' sweater pattern? Every one I go to is deader than Donnie!

Sorry about that, I updated the link in the first post for the working one, there's a free download for the pattern there. If you want to you can create an account because there's a thread there that allows you to ask questions and for help from the creator of the pattern if you're having trouble.

Ravelry: The Dude pattern by Andrea Rangel

Last edited:

Crowteerobot.... thanks for updating that link. I grabbed the pattern. I did already pick this one up, but I'm going ahead and have one made as well. I'm hoping someone can make a lighter version for me as the original pendleton is thick and heavy as can be. Not a great idea in Flordia! That and the sleeves are a bit long.
Pendleton01.jpg

The good thing is it's practically new, the bad part is that it's practically new! (read that as "stiff as a board")

Well, might as well post these that I picked up as well.
Dude04.jpg

Does everyone think it would be okay to post some props here too? I've been gathering things I'd like to share and since the checkbook and Ralphs card are already in here I thought this might be a good place to just have ALL THINGS LEBOWSKI????

Sorry about that, I updated the link in the first post for the working one, there's a free download for the pattern there. If you want to you can create an account because there's a thread there that allows you to ask questions and for help from the creator of the pattern if you're having trouble.

Ravelry: The Dude pattern by Andrea Rangel
Awesome Crow, thanks for sharing this!

...I did already pick this one up, but I'm going ahead and have one made as well. I'm hoping someone can make a lighter version for me as the original pendleton is thick and heavy as can be. Not a great idea in Flordia! That and the sleeves are a bit long.
If it's an XL and you're looking to unload it, I'll send you my address. :D

Does everyone think it would be okay to post some props here too? I've been gathering things I'd like to share and since the checkbook and Ralphs card are already in here I thought this might be a good place to just have ALL THINGS LEBOWSKI????
I can't speak for everyone, but it's okay with me! :cool

Okay, I was hoping to pick up a few things to add to my Dude display. SO I started screen capping.
CoffeeTable.jpg

The Dudes coffee table.
-Right away you notice a Magic 8-Ball, easiest prop find ever!!!
-The next thing I see is the green Japanese Cook book. This is "Japanese Cooking" by Gail Weinshel Katz, hard cover and published in 1978. Pretty easy to find on feebay usually.
-Next is the bowling book at the top. That is the "PBA Guide to Better Bowling" by Chuck Pezzano (Professional Bowlers Association) Originally published in 1974. The one here is at least the 1983 revised edition. The original doesn't have the 4 blue stripes on the right side or the red writing above the title. The earliest issue I could find with that was the 1983.
-There's also a bowling magazine just visible under the Japanese Cooking Book. I can't make out any details other than the logo which is from the Bowlers Journal. It's more than likely an early 90's issue as I've been talking with the publisher. Luckily they had one back issue from the late 90's that still had the same logo and I managed to convince them that it needed a new home! I'll show pics when it arrives.

More to come, but for now here's the stuff I've picked up. Other than the magazine which has been impossible to find the other stuff seems pretty easy to find and cheap too!
Dude03-1.jpg

Oh, and this is the start of my Gutterballs shoes.
Dude002.jpg

Dude01.jpg

Okay, Gutterballs shoes are done, please ignore the marks on the gold section, thats just neutral shoe polish that I haven't buffed yet. Oh, and I know the black heel cup isn't the correct shape, but thats what was on these, and the only ones who will know that besides me is the zero people checking out this thread. So, HA!
GutterballsShoes01.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back