Page 1 of 20 12345611 ... LastLast
Subscribe
    Jan 31, 2011, 2:42 AM - The Big Lebowski Costume Thread #1

I thought it might be a good idea, seeing as I'm working on a "The Dude" costume, and I'm sure others will be working on them as well, it seemms like a good idea to create a single thread to use as a resource and research to find certain items that El Duderino (If you're not into the whole brevity thing.) wore throughout the movie.

Of course we start off with the sunglasses, The Dude sports a pair of Vuarnet 003 frames with darker lenses than usually equipped with the frames.

Then we have that sweater, that oh so distinctive sweater. This is a cowichan style sweater that was made by Pendleton. These pop up all the time on ebay, but be prepared to spend often over $200. If you don't feel like spending that much, then do what I'm gonna do. Use this pattern, and hire someone to knit it for you, man. The Dude Sweater Pattern on Ravelry

The dude is often seen wearing Jellies Style sandals, a pvc clear sandal that is actually meant to be worn by women, but larger sizes will fit men comfortably. These sandals can be purchased here.http://www.lameduse.com/

The other kind of shoes that His Dudeness wears throughout the movies look to be a pair of Otomix martial arts training shoes, which can be found on various places around the web, and often show up on ebay.

Another fun little piece you can pick up is The Dude's only form of identification, a Ralph's grocery store member card. You cn find a very nice replica for very cheap by searching for "lebowski ralphs card" on ebay.

Now I think that's a pretty good start for this thread, let's see if we can't flesh it out some more with information about his other articles of clothing, maybe the purple parachute pants he wears, what kind of bowling bag he carries,the brand of portable phone that the kidnappers call him on and any other little accoutrements that would greatly compliment this great character!
    Last edited by CrowTeeRobot; Sep 25, 2012 at 9:24 PM. Reason: Updating.
  2. El Duderino is offline El Duderino
    Jan 31, 2011, 5:38 AM - Re: The Big Lebowski "The Dude" Costume Thread #2

Thanks for posting that site about the sweater, I'm always looking for more about it. I need to find someone to knit one for me as well, if you come across anyone let me know. I seen one of those sweaters go for $500 on ebay a few weeks ago, it's crazy how much people will pay for the original sweater. I'd also like to know if there's a name on the back of the bowling shirt for the Dude team, anyone have any idea?
  3. Larry Young is offline Larry Young
    Jan 31, 2011, 5:46 AM - Re: The Big Lebowski "The Dude" Costume Thread #3

You're not talking about the "Medina Sod" one?
    Jan 31, 2011, 5:51 AM - Re: The Big Lebowski "The Dude" Costume Thread #4

Larry Young said: View Post
    You're not talking about the "Medina Sod" one?
    Vintage, Pendleton "THE DUDE - BIG LEBOWSKI" sweater - eBay (item 190493740442 end time Jan-29-11 07:45:29 PST)

went for 425
  5. El Duderino is offline El Duderino
    Jan 31, 2011, 5:53 AM - Re: The Big Lebowski "The Dude" Costume Thread #5

That's the one.
  6. Larry Young is offline Larry Young
    Jan 31, 2011, 6:57 AM - Re: The Big Lebowski "The Dude" Costume Thread #6

Authentic Replica Big Lebowski Bowling Shirt

I bought one of these, not expecting much, and it's a decent shirt. The embroidery on the front and the "vintage" patch on the sleeve are much better than I expected. I wear it around all the time in the summer.
    From
    Syracuse, NY
    Jan 31, 2011, 9:52 AM - Re: The Big Lebowski "The Dude" Costume Thread #7

This thread is relevant to my interests.

Fun fact: The jellies were actually not part of the costume design. Jeff Bridges just wore them one day, and they went with it. They were actually his own shoes.

I went to the 7th Annual LebowskiFest in Louisville, KY a couple years back. I won the bowling competition.

The bigger bowling trophy is on my shelf at home.

Liam and me? We're gonna ***** you up. (wearing the replica Japanese Softball Tee from this scene):

From
    Annapolis MD
    Jan 31, 2011, 10:17 AM - Re: The Big Lebowski "The Dude" Costume Thread #8

What about the rug? Any info on that. It really tied the room together, did it not?
    Jan 31, 2011, 11:13 AM - Re: The Big Lebowski "The Dude" Costume Thread #9

According to my research, the rug was a medium or small sized ardakan/ardekan style persian rug. I'm planning on looking at some salvation army and other thrift shops and see if I can't find a close one.

Guide to Ardekan Rugs and Carpets

Another note, it seems that The Dude is wearing a different kind of sandals in the opening scene in the supermarket, any ideas on what they are?
    From
    MI
    Jan 31, 2011, 2:19 PM - Re: The Big Lebowski "The Dude" Costume Thread #10

CrowTeeRobot said: View Post
    Another note, it seems that The Dude is wearing a different kind of sandals in the opening scene in the supermarket, any ideas on what they are?
    They look like the cheapo Okabashi sandals you can get at Walgreens and the like: http://images.opentip.com/full/OKB/OKB-MILAN-M_2.jpg
  11. Member Since
    Nov 2010
    From
    England
    Jan 31, 2011, 3:03 PM - Re: The Big Lebowski "The Dude" Costume Thread #11

This is my new favourite thread!

I've been wanting to do the supermarket costume for a fancy dress (preferably when the weather warms up), but I have not been able to find an accurate bathrobe/dressing gown! Actually, the shorts have also proved difficult to source something even close
  12. El Duderino is offline El Duderino
    Jan 31, 2011, 3:42 PM - Re: The Big Lebowski "The Dude" Costume Thread #12

I used to wear my robe to a bar down the street from my old house and I'd always order a white russian. Every time I walked in they'd say "A white russian for you sir?" it was nice. I wish they called me the dude though, that would of rocked.
    From
    Sweden
    Jan 31, 2011, 5:14 PM - Re: The Big Lebowski "The Dude" Costume Thread #13

I love this thread!
    From
    Annapolis MD
    Jan 31, 2011, 5:39 PM - Re: The Big Lebowski "The Dude" Costume Thread #14

^Ditto
  15. Member Since
    Nov 2010
    From
    England
    Jan 31, 2011, 5:44 PM - Re: The Big Lebowski "The Dude" Costume Thread #15

This also makes me sad that I left my special edition The Big Lebowski DVD at an ex-girlfriends when we broke up... I miss that DVD

I think half the trouble with a SA costume here is a lot of The Dude's clothes were from Jeff Bridges' own wardrobe

*EDIT*

hmm this looks close in my opinion... shame they don't ship international
    Last edited by Vasago; Jan 31, 2011 at 6:06 PM. Reason: Added pic
    Jan 31, 2011, 10:00 PM - Re: The Big Lebowski "The Dude" Costume Thread #16

Icey said: View Post
    They look like the cheapo Okabashi sandals you can get at Walgreens and the like: http://images.opentip.com/full/OKB/OKB-MILAN-M_2.jpg

Hmm, they look close, but no cigar. On further examination of reference photos, it appears that there is a split in the side of the sandals also. Does that help narrow it down at all?

In the meantime, I think those obakashi sandals would make a great stand in, and for only $15, they're hard to beat.

@Vasago, what're the details on that robe you found, it looks perfect! Maybe the name itself could help us track down a similar style elsewhere.
    And regarding the shorts, I simply went on ebay and searched for "checkered shorts" and find quite a few suitable, if not pretty darned close looking shorts that would fit the role perfectly.
    From
    Cooperstown, New York
    Feb 1, 2011, 7:13 AM - Re: The Big Lebowski "The Dude" Costume Thread #17

that's good to hear ,I was debating on getting one..
    Larry Young said: View Post
    Authentic Replica Big Lebowski Bowling Shirt

I bought one of these, not expecting much, and it's a decent shirt. The embroidery on the front and the "vintage" patch on the sleeve are much better than I expected. I wear it around all the time in the summer.
    Feb 1, 2011, 12:54 PM - Re: The Big Lebowski "The Dude" Costume Thread #18

Alright guys, I have a few more links to share here.

Thanks to Vasago it looks like we have a great source for a pretty darned close version of the Dude's robe. It's a Perry Ellis robe, and it's actually on clearance at Bed Bath & Beyond right now. I know I'll be going out to pick one up for myself this week.
    Perry Ellis Portfolio Ultra Luxe Men's Shawl Collar Robe

I also managed to track down the correct zipper style pull tab for the sweater if you're having one made for you. It's the ring one listed on this page, and can actually be seen on an original Pendleton sweater in MooCriket's post above. Fancy Schmantzy Slides For #5 METAL Zippers

I was also wondering if anyone had an opinion on these The Big Lebowski - Official "The Dude" Sunglasses

I'm wondering if it'd be worth it to pick up a pair to use with the costume, or would they be too crappy to use?
  19. Larry Young is offline Larry Young
    Feb 1, 2011, 1:24 PM - Re: The Big Lebowski "The Dude" Costume Thread #19

If you get someone to knit you the Pendleton, make sure you have a 1.5" ring pull, because YKK makes different sizes.

20. Member Since
    Nov 2010
    From
    England
    Feb 1, 2011, 4:18 PM - Re: The Big Lebowski "The Dude" Costume Thread #20

I swear blind this is the rug my mum had when I was younger... might have to see if she still has it (unlikely) and if so steal it!

Opus 5843 Red - buy online at Modern Rugs UK

(based in UK)
    From
    Aachen, Germany
    Feb 1, 2011, 6:12 PM - Re: The Big Lebowski "The Dude" Costume Thread #21

I confess: I haven't seen TBL yet! Yes, yes I hould be ashamed, I've heard it about 2 weeks from a work colleague that I have to see it! BUT: I remember the trailer and the plot - so I'm not completely lost - LOL.

Anyway I found a photo, which could be titled - "The Dude Lives!"
  22. Larry Young is offline Larry Young
    Feb 1, 2011, 6:32 PM - Re: The Big Lebowski "The Dude" Costume Thread #22

Looks like some dye-ing is going to be needed on that BB&B robe:

23. Member Since
    Nov 2010
    From
    England
    Feb 1, 2011, 6:37 PM - Re: The Big Lebowski "The Dude" Costume Thread #23

Wow! That looks a lot lighter in the supermarket scene than in that pic!
  24. Larry Young is offline Larry Young
    Feb 1, 2011, 6:44 PM - Re: The Big Lebowski "The Dude" Costume Thread #24

The avocado belt loops are what threw me.
    From
    Southern California
    Feb 1, 2011, 10:05 PM - Re: The Big Lebowski "The Dude" Costume Thread #25

Any leads on the Pajama pants?