66 Miata Batmobile Build

So are you actually modding the body of the car to look like the batmobile or are you just going with a similar paint/color and symbol theme?

It will be a foam and fiberglass body kit that bolts on top of the miata.
I'm making it removable so that I can transfer the kit to another miata if need be.
The design concept is to make a 66 Batmobile shrunk down to the size of a Corvette Stingray - sort of a 'Wayne Roadster'.
The final finish will be a bit rough - my goal is to have a daily driver Batmobile that will fool any five year old when I zoom by.

So, I pulled contours off the Hot Wheels Batmobile with foam core and sewing pins.
I then scanned all those contours into Photoshop and skewed them to fit revised miata Batmobile blueprints. The blueprints are life sized at 16dpi.
Below are some shots of the contour pulling, samples of the raw contours and the different composite blueprint views.

View attachment 44217

View attachment 44218

View attachment 44219

View attachment 44220

View attachment 44223

View attachment 44221

View attachment 44224

View attachment 44225

View attachment 44222

Neat idea, BUT...

With the MUCH-shorter wheel-base and width of the Miata, I am afraid that after you do all of that work, it might look kinda...doofy and cartoon-ish.

Like a silly, midget-sized-version of the 66 Batmobile.

Like those goofy, Japanese, super-deformed cars and planes.

NOW, If that is the look you are going for...via con Dios. But if you are looking to have something that is impressive, I don't think this geometry and proportions will cut it.

I hate to see you invest so much time and then step back and say:

"Oh Geeze, it looks like the '66 Batmobile alright...If Herve Villacheze played Batman!"

Boss... the CAR! The CAR!!!

Be careful!!!

i'm pretty sure there was a miata with the 60s batmobile paint scheme in a batman fan film a few years ago. might be worth checking out to see what it might look like...

Neat idea, BUT...

With the MUCH-shorter wheel-base and width of the Miata, I am afraid that after you do all of that work, it might look kinda...doofy and cartoon-ish.

Like a silly, midget-sized-version of the 66 Batmobile.

Like those goofy, Japanese, super-deformed cars and planes.

NOW, If that is the look you are going for...via con Dios.

Cartoonish, Japanese, Super-deformed . . . .

Yes, that is what I'm going for, actually! I'm really into the 66 Japan version of Batman, and plan to use some elements of the manga Batmobiles in simplifying the rear of the car.

I made a reference chart of the different 66 Manga Batmobiles:

View attachment 44249

This Japanese exploded view came with a model kit, even though I think the kit resembles the TV car and not the drawing - note the shorter wheelbase:

View attachment 44250

Batman Japan . . .
View attachment 44251
And the logo . . .
View attachment 44252

Thanks for the helpful words of caution - I agree that it could easily go the wrong way. With help from the forum, I hope to steer it away from Guano - though I understand there's quite a bit of that in the Batcave.

Off topic, but I have your Mer-man print proudly displayed in my living room, and my friend freaked over the Tiki Gods print he got for Christmas. :)

Back on topic - When I first saw this thread, I was like, "you crazy!"

But now I understand the approach you are taking... Very cool. Excited to see how this project develops!

Thanks E! Didn't think I'd be recognized here. It's great to hear that a few of those prints are on walls somewhere:)

Here's some more progress on the Batmobile:

I printed out the pattern pieces for the front.
View attachment 44358
I taped them together on a guide grid to keep them straight.
View attachment 44359
I cut out the pieces.
View attachment 44360
I traced the pieces onto sheets of eps insulation.
View attachment 44361
I got a hot wire cutter and built a lexan jig so that I can make straight guided perpendicular cuts.
View attachment 44362
View attachment 44363
I got to cutting.
View attachment 44364
View attachment 44365
I used small foam blocks and hot glue to get a mold of the wheel well.
View attachment 44366
I used that to make a wheel well pattern.
View attachment 44367

this cars gonna be awesome. if you want i have the blueprints that came with the special edition reissue model kit if you want me to send you a pic.

We have a couple of 1966 batmobiles in the Star Car Central group. I have to agree with SD studios that the proportions may be a little off on that size wheelbase - I've done enough looking at two full sized '66 cars at shows I attended that I have to say the 25 foot length is a large part of why those cars look so fantastic.

However fantastic batmobiles have been built on smaller chassis in the past:

Batman: The Animated Series Batmobile Real Life Replica

I personally think the "outrigger" comic book car would look the best on a short frame:

Batmobiles 1989 - 1992

Corgi even made a few toys based on this version you could pull dimensions off of.

Whatever you choose, it'll be a lot of fun!

--Brian

I'll have to do some checking around, but as recently as Dick Grayson becoming Batman they have a similar car to the Outrigger style that they use as a Batmobile that I agree would look FANTASTIC on a smaller frame like that. As excited as I would be to see a Miata/66 it would be pretty cool to see a comic book translation that hadn't been done before to my knowledge.

Other Batmobiles, 66 Progress.

These are all good ideas, guys. Much appreciated - I myself would like to see someone make the 80s Kenner Super Powers Batmobile (and I invite any one to steal that idea:).)

Alas, it is going to be 66 based, because I'm already done with the pencil and paper design (which added up to a whole lot of hours!) and also I'm building something that I want to drive every day, which is the 66.

More progress pics! It's starting to get good:
Attaching the waistline:
View attachment 44525
Fitting the center fin:
View attachment 44526
And another fin:
View attachment 44527
View attachment 44528
All the main fins fitted:
View attachment 44529
View attachment 44530
Molding the side contours:
View attachment 44531
Here's the basic front end (top half) skeleton all fitted:
View attachment 44532
Front end skeleton off the car! It lifts with one finger:
View attachment 44533

bat023.jpg

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back