66 Miata Batmobile Build

You know I have to admit that I was on the side of the "doubters" when this thread started. And I've avoided the thread all this time. I don't know what prompted me to open it today.

Now that I've seen the progress pics and the frame beginning to take shape- I'm overjoyed at how it is coming together! Best of success on completing this! :thumbsup

Kevin

Last edited:
Glue

It's time for the elmer's glue. I tried different things and found that Elmer's white glue was the easisest/cheapest barrier to seal and protect the foam from melting when I apply the polyester resin.
View attachment 51272

I painted two thick coats above and one coat below - it was a pain to get the glue in all the pockets.

View attachment 51273

I painted the balsa on the front half with flat back enamel to keep it from warping and curling under the wet elmer's glue.

View attachment 51274

Thanks everyone for the enthusiasm. It encourages me to keep plugging away (which I will).

Probably there are a number of would-be naysayers who are keeping it quiet because they sense a beautifully massive fail in the works and want to enjoy the show.
I will admit that this could still go either way.

The other day I was knee deep in elmer's glue when it occured to me that if building a Batmobile was easy, the Joker would have one.

Moving on:
I got the balsa and glue work done on the door pieces.
View attachment 51275

05wheelsbat.jpg

batmobile.bmp

Nick

This build is fascinating! Looking forward to seeing it progress even more!

+ that smart car batmobile above is actually pretty cool hehe

Creebobby, just noticed you are here in Austin, would love to see this build in person sometime... I'm out in Dripping Springs. Awesome build, glad I saw this!

This is the kind of thread you wish you had come across the day that the final pics were posted, so you could go back and read through all the pages of updates and see it come together start to finish. Can't wait to see this bad boy all finished up.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back