"hero" props that are not????

If they are both exactly the same they don't fit in with my example of what makes it Hero at all. One would be a screen used suit worn by a stunt man and the other would be a screen used suit worn by Val Kilmer.

You make fine points in all your posts in this thread. However, it remains the case that some terminology is still unstandardized, and different collectors and dealers and propmasters and costumers sometimes use terms differently. Personally--and my interpretation is in no way above anyone else's, it's just the way I like to use the term, and a way I've commonly seen it used over the years--I like to use the term "hero" in two contexts.

The first is of course "hero" as you defined it--the highest detail version of a prop, often made of metal or sharp whereas stunt versions are typically made of rubber, resin, or dulled, often intended for close-ups or beauty shots whereas the "stunt" versions may be used for action or even for everything but insert shots. However, in another context I also like the term "hero stunt" for a stunt prop used by the principal actor, as a way to distinguish it from stunt props used exclusively by stuntmen or doubles. Some propmasters and costumers have used the term "hero stunt" in labeling their work, though it's not commonplace. I do wish there were another better term, such as "principal stunt" or "lead stunt", but the term "hero stunt" has already been used in the industry and I haven't seen comparable use of anything better. Longtime collectors generally know what someone means by the term "hero stunt."

On the other hand, when not paired with the word "stunt" I dislike use of the word "hero" just to describe a stunt item used by the lead actor. It's confusing. That's another reason I really like the term "hero stunt"--it's a term which if used more often could help push out the misleading and incorrect use of "hero" just to mean "used by the principal actor not just by a stuntman if at all."

I have always gone as follows. Assuming that they have been verified as screen used props.
STUNT = Any prop that was used by any actor on film.
HERO = Used for closeup shots where you will really see the details.

Could the term "Beauty Prop" also be used in the same context as "Hero"?
The Hero would be used for close-ups, superior quality with all the details,
"a working prop"?

propmaster2000

I know I am late but I would add that in EVERY case your homework should be done and NEVER buy anything with out documentation from a dealer with a perfect reputation. Also I understand that there is a huge market for them but personally I do not care for "paper props" (news papers, photos,flyers,etc.) Too easy to copy.

Super popular props: Holy grail, hoverboards, Freddy gloves, and the like are dangerous due to the amount of fakes and legitimate replicas out there. I would rather have a well documented Mangalore rifle than a questionable flux capacitor!

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back