Nerf Gun Props? YES!

Apologies for delayed reply. I had password issues due to age-related brain cramp.

Yes, it's a version of this: http://www.edukaan.buzz/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=982 Paint is an automotive aerosol, VHT Plate Finish.

The gun is mostly polypropylene (I think), so paint doesn't stick well. This VHT works OK but not great: it won't spontaneously fall off but can be scratched off.
I had an issue with a painting on material like this. You may use a layer of synthetic varnish on every layer of paint. And, of course, you need to use special paint for plastic

Last edited:
Give Bulldog Adhesion Promoter a try. Follow the directions on the can and you should get a pretty solid bond. No scratching or peeling.

The gun is mostly polypropylene (I think), so paint doesn't stick well. This VHT works OK but not great: it won't spontaneously fall off but can be scratched off.

Last edited:
Finally getting back into building things! Here's a quick 3 day project for a friend's boy who wanted something a bit 'halo-esque' for a birthday bash. Based on a foam dart gun picked up at a local toy store. I added the sight, filled in the screw holes and weathered it up a bit - still fully functional.

halo_ish.jpg

C&C's welcome

Thanks
Taz

I love this thread. I've posted a handful of my work here as well, but THIS time, I'm posting an unfinished project, because I'm NEVER going to finish it. However, I think the talented people of this forum might be inclined to pick up where I left off. So here is an unfinished HALO plasma pistol laser tag gun that I was converting into a NERF gun by taking the shooting component of the NERF Switch Shot (the one where the pistol grip component of the gun can be used as part of a Wii controller), and fitting it inside the frame of the plasma pistol (this is one of the second generation plasma pistol laser tag guns that was sold in pairs, and not the larger 1:1 scale plasma pistol that was sold as a single). This project is FREE to the first interested party, but I'm going to ask you to pay for shipping to wherever you want it sent. My zip code is 92780, and you can message me here so we can arrange the paypal details.

Here are some pics;

halo_nerf_plasma_pistol_01_zpsft5waw0u.jpg

halo_nerf_plasma_pistol_02_zps4di6tlgl.jpg

halo_nerf_plasma_pistol_03_zpsvjhgqzxw.jpg

All of the original components of the plasma pistol are included (I had planned to just reinstall the electronics purely for the sound effects). However, the laser tag target sensor is long gone (and it wasn't even compatible with other laser tag toys). I had managed to get the shooting mechanism to loosely fit into the plasma pistol's frame, but I didn't bother to secure it or to continue with making a custom trigger mechanism (my guess is that I would have had to custom machine something, and attach it to the inside of the frame with some small machine screws). Since the Switch Shot mechanism is short compared to the plasma pistol, I recommend installing a brass barrel to come out just at the end of the plasma pistol's "muzzle".

I know that BoomCo is currently making HALO dart blasters (including the plasma pistol), but they are a bit small, and you can't use regular NERF darts because the BoomCo stuff use their own type of ammo. As for why I'm not finishing it? There's only just so many hours I can devote to "projects", and recently, I'm spending more and more time on my mountain of unfinished wargaming miniatures.

So, who wants it?

Well, hello everyone. First post. I had the most bizarre intro to nerf mods recently, but it has kicked off a prop weapon addiction that I don't know if I can curb. I have a stack of 15 Nerf Guns to build that I collected since Halloween. It started by me making costume parts for my kid and my Wife. A Harley Quinn Hammer and gun and bazooka for the wife's Tank Girl Costume. They were quick and half assed but it turned into Nerf Christmas Gifts for the kids. Here are the props and Nerf Rifles I made for the Nephews. They wanted them color coordinated. I don't have picture of them weathered, with the 18rd magazines or with the AR looking Super soaker stocks. I forgot to take updated pics before I handed them out.
PkuRnDF.jpg

VMR0aEz.jpg

VSrZB1r.jpg

Every year I ask my kids what they want me to make them for the Holidays. My oldest plays Titanfall with me and wanted a Anti Titan gun. So I settle on a nerf Khaos and tried Chroming with with Spaz Stix. Hard to photo this one.

43sx1Dj.jpg

Dp8VPyd.jpg

My youngest loves Ratchet and Clank, and wanted a Morph-o ray chicken gun. This one has a 3 button speaker system. The bottons on top are for "Fingerprint indentification" Accepted or Denied, and the 3rd button is activated by the trigger and makes sound effect and a chicken sound. I'll post a video.

EMXHNaE.jpg

This led to making cheap gifts and Rubies Star Wars blasters. Now I am hunting Mausers and parts to make accurate props. My new addiction is solidified.
18ts0qu.jpg

9zC8DMv.jpg

MonSSter --

Nice work!

Yep, you're hooked! I recognize the symptoms.

On RPF you'll find lots of examples of DL-44 blasters based on Denix and airsoft, and even real Mauser C96. Here's mine:

DL44_02_Left_03a.jpg

I have a new creation to share. I am going to be meeting up with my friends shortly for vacation. Going to be bringing them gifts. Each is getting a nerf gun that is both cool and an insult to one of their personality quirks, as only a friend would do. I have aluminum gun cases to present each to them. I'll post each as I finish. This is the first one. It still needs weathering but its done. The first gift is for a buddy of mine who is a marksman, ill get to that another time. This one is for my thrice divorced friend who is a notorious close talker. When he is drunk he is damn uncomfortable to be around, always hugging and uncomfortably hard smacks on the back or punches to the shoulder. My other friend always says "hot beer breath in the face time" in preparation. So i figure for his weapon, its gotta be up close and personal. He cant shoot worth a ****, so it would have to be No Country for Old men, pneumatic cowgun to the dome gat. I present, the HBB Space Invader:
pNfZ92J.jpg

N0ZXiws.jpg

wD5QVbg.jpg

5ezg32p.jpg

r03KwhN.jpg

I have a nerf scope mount with a bendable rubberized wire attached, i an trying to locate one of those plastic white pointing finger hands to loop straight down to the front of the barrel, as a drunken scope, lol.

Thanks. I discovered a way to mimic even the texture and pitting of wood by accident. I have a few 20 year old tubes of Acrylics that have chemically separated, the pigment and clear mix come out of the tube separately. The pigment when mixed with water it goes down easily but its thick and pits. Works great with a flat brush. Here is the 2nd one i made, different grip, this one is going to be weathered and worn.
JMyP693.jpg

Last edited:
That wood effect is stunning!

What did did you do for the texture on the lower portion of the gun? Was that in the plastic or an effect you did? I really love the subtle look and have a few things in mind it would look great on!

Well, you actually have to start on a super smooth surface. I sand down anything that will be wood down to 1000 grit, and spray with gloss brown. The texture comes from the old acrylics that I mentioned. My Favorite are Yellow/raw Sienna, Burnt Sienna and Raw umber. I paint the chocolate color gloss rattle can, then use the acrylics light to dark. I paint in the pattern of the grain/color bands first, the thick pigment of the old acrylics when mixed with water dries in about 10 seconds and does not flow like new, but when dry brushing it will leave very tiny pits that mimic wood. The old acrylics behave more like super fast drying Oil Paints. It does not work the same with cheap or new acrylics. Luckily I have 3 giant tubes from 20 years ago. You can achieve it with some nice new acrylics, but you'd have to experiment, maybe let em dry out for a while or leave them in a hot car for a few weeks could get the consistency similar. The cool thing is painting on the dry gloss coat is you can wipe off the wood paint with a wet paper towel if you screw up within the first 10 minutes. I give it a light wash if the colors vary to wildly.

If you talking about the texture on the black grip, it comes that way.

Last edited:
I love this thread. I've posted a handful of my work here as well, but THIS time, I'm posting an unfinished project, because I'm NEVER going to finish it. However, I think the talented people of this forum might be inclined to pick up where I left off. So here is an unfinished HALO plasma pistol laser tag gun that I was converting into a NERF gun by taking the shooting component of the NERF Switch Shot (the one where the pistol grip component of the gun can be used as part of a Wii controller), and fitting it inside the frame of the plasma pistol (this is one of the second generation plasma pistol laser tag guns that was sold in pairs, and not the larger 1:1 scale plasma pistol that was sold as a single). This project is FREE to the first interested party, but I'm going to ask you to pay for shipping to wherever you want it sent. My zip code is 92780, and you can message me here so we can arrange the paypal details.

Here are some pics;

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d...rs/halo_nerf_plasma_pistol_01_zpsft5waw0u.jpg

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d...rs/halo_nerf_plasma_pistol_02_zps4di6tlgl.jpg

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d...rs/halo_nerf_plasma_pistol_03_zpsvjhgqzxw.jpg

All of the original components of the plasma pistol are included (I had planned to just reinstall the electronics purely for the sound effects). However, the laser tag target sensor is long gone (and it wasn't even compatible with other laser tag toys). I had managed to get the shooting mechanism to loosely fit into the plasma pistol's frame, but I didn't bother to secure it or to continue with making a custom trigger mechanism (my guess is that I would have had to custom machine something, and attach it to the inside of the frame with some small machine screws). Since the Switch Shot mechanism is short compared to the plasma pistol, I recommend installing a brass barrel to come out just at the end of the plasma pistol's "muzzle".

I know that BoomCo is currently making HALO dart blasters (including the plasma pistol), but they are a bit small, and you can't use regular NERF darts because the BoomCo stuff use their own type of ammo. As for why I'm not finishing it? There's only just so many hours I can devote to "projects", and recently, I'm spending more and more time on my mountain of unfinished wargaming miniatures.

So, who wants it?

Did anyone ever take you up on this Aestivalis ? If not I am interested. I'm working on a Nerf Raven -> halo assault rifle currently that this would go well with.

If you talking about the texture on the black grip, it comes that way.
I was actually but thank you for the super detailed run through of the wood grain! I have had to replicate it a few times and it always looks like wood grain but the smooth finish doesn't always read right and it can look fake.

The texture you acheived on the wood grain certainly sells it and thanks for sharing! I have been painting for quite a while but you can ALWAYS learn new things watching and learning how other artists tackle similar problems.

LOL, yeah i figured. I typed up that reply and then I noticed your sig and realized what you were asking. I figured, oh well I spent the time typing it maybe someone might be able to use it.

And here she is!

pDZaBRc.jpg

...and a few details:

dFHibkq.jpg

This was fun - it's the first blaster that I've tried attaching new pieces to, and I think it looks ok... my biggest concern was that they'd just look like bits of crap that I'd glued on, but I think I've achieved a fairly cohesive look. It wasn't easy finding stuff either - i spent hours traipsing through $2 shops looking for bits. Eventually I found some counterfeit Lego figurines that I wouldn't feel guilty about cutting up! :D

...and also this bad-boy:

Hf5cmcx.jpg

...and the details:

7gMO8Es.jpg

Slightly more standard than the last, but no less a satisfying result - the little stickers are left-overs from Zoids models I had as a kid. Really happy I tucked them away now! :D

You've all been so patient - thanks for looking ;)

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back