Nerf Gun Props? YES!

Technically not NERF. Moderately Massive MIB gun:

MIB_F66_01a.jpg

I'm still working on details, but you get the idea.

How do you paint the barrel piece and barrel extension on the Longshot so that the extension easily attaches and detaches from the rest of the gun. (That is, if yours does.) I'm having a little bit of trouble with that on a Longstrike CS-6 that I'm currently painting.

This is my favorite thread. I love what all you folks are doing and it's great to come to this one thread to pick and choose the techniques I want to try on my next steampunk weapon, which will most likely be a Maverick since I have about four of the little buggers.

How do you paint the barrel piece and barrel extension on the Longshot so that the extension easily attaches and detaches from the rest of the gun. (That is, if yours does.) I'm having a little bit of trouble with that on a Longstrike CS-6 that I'm currently painting.

I'm working on a Longshot right now too! It's on hold for a couple of weeks until I start my new job and can buy more flat black paint...

I've used a hard-wearing Dulux stainless steel spray on the muzzle of the main blaster - it's one that I've found to be particularly resistant to wear and scratching, and I've made sure to apply it as light as possible to avoid binding. I'm going to use a Testors clear coat on the two faces where the attachment meets the main blaster to prevent wear there too, but I'm also thinking of making a felt gasket for the attachment's face to avoid wear entirely, which will also firm up the attachment point and remove the wobble it seems to have developed.

You could also try a vinyl dye - I've no experience of this medium myself, but I understand that it permeates through the plastic so that it won't wear off with use.

Hope this helps :)

edit: hur-dur... I thought I read longSHOT for some reason... but the principle is still the same.

Last edited:
I'm working on a Longshot right now too! It's on hold for a couple of weeks until I start my new job and can buy more flat black paint...

I've used a hard-wearing Dulux stainless steel spray on the muzzle of the main blaster - it's one that I've found to be particularly resistant to wear and scratching, and I've made sure to apply it as light as possible to avoid binding. I'm going to use a Testors clear coat on the two faces where the attachment meets the main blaster to prevent wear there too, but I'm also thinking of making a felt gasket for the attachment's face to avoid wear entirely, which will also firm up the attachment point and remove the wobble it seems to have developed.

You could also try a vinyl dye - I've no experience of this medium myself, but I understand that it permeates through the plastic so that it won't wear off with use.

Hope this helps :)

I will definitely have to test out some of those methods. Thanks for the tips!

Hi there fellow nerfers,

Our antipodean weather warmed up enough for me to get some paint down on this beast at long last... and it's finished. Well, as much as I feel like finishing it anyway...

P5YO85w.jpg

Being that it's an upgrade blaster, I kinda wanted something I can run around with without freaking people out too much, but I'm not sure if I didn't overdo it again :/

mWvn0H7.jpg

To be honest - this has been my least favourite blaster to paint so far. Too fiddly, too many parts, too many difficult nooks and crannies to mask - it was a nightmare. And once again, I'm having real problems with the Rustoleum 2X Matt Aluminium - I swear, nothing wants to stick to this stuff, so as a result I didn't go too fancy with the paintwork. Had to be done though, as the metallic orange needed a shiny silver undercoat to really pop, so that worked at least. I just didn't want to risk masking over the orange and having it come off on the tape like the Hammershot debacle from last year...

d0hkedV.jpg

The most fun I had was installing the OMW Solid Stage 1&2 upgrades. It was an old blaster to begin with, and as such its performance had deteriorated badly, so the new spring, plunger and boltsled have it firing twice as far as it was, and without the front gun it's firing 3-400% better, depending on the darts I use. It's a lot of fun to shoot now!

Aaaaanyhoo - thanks for looking, and as usual, any feedback and/or questions are gratefully received and happily answered.

Nerf on!

Last edited:
Man, those are great looking builds. I love tearing apart paintball guns!

Did you glue or bolt the nerf scope down? I've had terrible luck with nerf scopes breaking off with very little use. I started using milliput, and steel stick to fix them in place!

Spring has well and truly sprung here in NZ, the temperature is climbing steadily back into the double-digits, and once again the paint is flying. Can I get a Huzzah!?

May I introduce to you, the Corsair; a WWII-era navy pilot sidearm, named after the Vought F4U Corsair aeroplane.

VnzJILo.jpg

This blaster employs an experimental technique for the oxidizing of the paint as well as my usual corrosion techniques. It's achieved by leaving all of the salt used for the rust in place, applying more salt over the metal coat, and then spraying a light coat of white before the top primary is applied. The top coat is applied by spraying predominantly from a single direction (similar to the water droplet effect technique), in this case, from the top down. This allows the salt to act as a rough mask, allowing the white to show through the blue around the salted areas.

I had no idea if this would work or not, but I think I can mark the experiment a success!

B5Hkckk.jpg

Thanks for looking, and I hope you found something in this you can take away and apply to your own work.

Peace :)

Saw a cheap $5 Nerf gun and bought it to mod it, but then I remembered the Magnum Pistol from Halo CE that I wanted to make... hopefully now I can make a firing Halo CE Magnum!

This is one-day-build I made out of a Nerf LaserOps Deltaburst which I married up to an EGLM 40mm grenade launcher. I added a few additional parts including a MagPul 10rnd mag and a bit of foamsmithing . . .

4kERhD3.jpg

GF6CH9g.jpg

Ecf9mvf.jpg

I still plan on adding some decals and weathering. Follow me on instagram for more!

J2pN6Vzb.jpg

Last edited:
This is one-day-build I made out of a Nerf LaserOps Deltaburst which I married up to an EGLM 40mm grenade launcher. I added a few additional parts including a MagPul 10rnd mag and a bit of foamsmithing . . .

View attachment 855919

View attachment 855920

View attachment 855921

I still plan on adding some decals and weathering. Follow me on instagram for more!

View attachment 855922

I like this Rifle! How's the grip feel? Looks like the launcher is a bit In the way

Spring has well and truly sprung here in NZ, the temperature is climbing steadily back into the double-digits, and once again the paint is flying. Can I get a Huzzah!?

May I introduce to you, the Corsair; a WWII-era navy pilot sidearm, named after the Vought F4U Corsair aeroplane.

View attachment 855737

The leather effect you did on that plastic grip is amazing, how'd you do that?

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back